House Hunting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Recently my husband and I have decided we want to buy a place out of London so we can get our children out of the city during school holidays etc but as lifelong Londoners we are drawing a blank as to where we would want to go.

We have friends who have a second home in Norfolk and we’ve always loved going to visit them there, but we don't want to just choose there as it’s what we already know.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We’d be looking for places with big open spaces etc and lots of outdoor activities.

I would really recommend Norfolk, actually! My in laws live there and we visit a few times a year and I find it wonderful for having a variety of outdoor spaces, and so much to do. Beaches, national trust, broads etc, there is so much outdoor variety, plus I think a good lot of “attractions” to cater to families (bewilderwood, dinosaur park, zoos etc). If your aim is to be outdoors as much as possible, Norfolk is a great choice. Where we live has poor weather, so we always enjoy it there as any time of year we can spend most of our weeks there outdoors.

Maybe not very helpful since you wanted non-Norfolk suggestions, but I think it’s a fab place and feel very lucky we get to visit a few times a year.

How about Suffolk? There’s some beautiful areas of Suffolk, it’s close enough to Norfolk that you can visit places you’re already familiar with if you want to as well.

Not sure if it’s too far for what you want but I love Devon and Cornwall. My favourite memories as a child were spent down there

Reactions: 1
I would really recommend Norfolk, actually! My in laws live there and we visit a few times a year and I find it wonderful for having a variety of outdoor spaces, and so much to do. Beaches, national trust, broads etc, there is so much outdoor variety, plus I think a good lot of “attractions” to cater to families (bewilderwood, dinosaur park, zoos etc). If your aim is to be outdoors as much as possible, Norfolk is a great choice. Where we live has poor weather, so we always enjoy it there as any time of year we can spend most of our weeks there outdoors.

Maybe not very helpful since you wanted non-Norfolk suggestions, but I think it’s a fab place and feel very lucky we get to visit a few times a year.
I do love Norfolk so it’s a definite contender.

How about Suffolk? There’s some beautiful areas of Suffolk, it’s close enough to Norfolk that you can visit places you’re already familiar with if you want to as well.

Not sure if it’s too far for what you want but I love Devon and Cornwall. My favourite memories as a child were spent down there
I’ve never actually thought of Suffolk. I can’t remember ever visiting but I’ve just looked and there are some beautiful houses.
I would also say Devon or Cornwall, though the drive could be quite long with children.
I love Cornwall, but yes, not sure I could stomach that drive with 3 children on a regular basis!

North Essex is beautiful and often really overlooked as everyone thinks TOWIE. You have a lot of big spaces, the backwater around Frinton/Walton so can sail. Lots of lovely walks and space and just over the border in South Suffolk you have Dedham Vale where Constable drew many of his pictures.

Broadstairs if you don’t want to be too far out of london. Beautiful beaches and easy driving distance or train to places like canterbury etc.

Reactions: 2
North Essex is beautiful and often really overlooked as everyone thinks TOWIE. You have a lot of big spaces, the backwater around Frinton/Walton so can sail. Lots of lovely walks and space and just over the border in South Suffolk you have Dedham Vale where Constable drew many of his pictures.
I have to say that’s not somewhere I have ever thought to consider but it’s definitely worth a look.
Broadstairs if you don’t want to be too far out of london. Beautiful beaches and easy driving distance or train to places like canterbury etc.
I’d never heard of Broadstairs but I just had a quick look and it looks beautiful.

It really is, the main beach is beautiful but there are also lots of other beautiful beaches that are more secluded around. You can get to Dreamland in Margate from there, westwood cross for shopping and cinema, loads of different walks, they have a summer festivals every year (maybe not this year!) It may be worth going to a few different places for a weekend or a half term just to get a feel for them.

Whitstable, Herne Bay, Minnis Bay, Westgate, Birchington, Margate, Broadstairs - perfect stretch of coast for a holiday home. Minnie Bay round to Broadstairs has a sandy beach. Whitstable is pretty packed with’dfl’s’ Herne Bay is getting the overspill so pushing house rices up but Birchington round to Broadstairs would be better priced

I agree and I was going to suggest the same.

Unfortunately the TOWIE scum have ruined south Essex, along with most people who have moved out of East London.

It depends whether you want easy access to visit London, as sometimes moving further afield, public transport can be problematic.

If you are not bothered by that, then I would suggest North Essex or Suffolk.

I'd have to say Gloucestershire, beautiful countryside and into Paddington in just over 2 hours but so close to amazing places.

I think you need to consider where about you are in London now and ease of commuting. As an example if I lived in north London I'd look at places north/west of the city and not be trying to navigate the M25 down to Kent each weekend. If I lived in South London I'd look at the south coast etc.

It really is, the main beach is beautiful but there are also lots of other beautiful beaches that are more secluded around. You can get to Dreamland in Margate from there, westwood cross for shopping and cinema, loads of different walks, they have a summer festivals every year (maybe not this year!) It may be worth going to a few different places for a weekend or a half term just to get a feel for them.
I think that’s what we might have to do. I know we could always sell if we don’t like it but I don’t fancy going through all that hassle.
Whitstable, Herne Bay, Minnis Bay, Westgate, Birchington, Margate, Broadstairs - perfect stretch of coast for a holiday home. Minnie Bay round to Broadstairs has a sandy beach. Whitstable is pretty packed with’dfl’s’ Herne Bay is getting the overspill so pushing house rices up but Birchington round to Broadstairs would be better priced
I’ll take a look, thanks!
I'd have to say Gloucestershire, beautiful countryside and into Paddington in just over 2 hours but so close to amazing places.
Thanks! I’ll have a look. I don’t think I’ve ever been to Gloucestershire.
I think you need to consider where about you are in London now and ease of commuting. As an example if I lived in north London I'd look at places north/west of the city and not be trying to navigate the M25 down to Kent each weekend. If I lived in South London I'd look at the south coast etc.
We are pretty central. We live between Kensington Gardens and Holland Park but our children go to school in Battersea so we could be heading off from two different sides of the river but it’s definitely something I didn’t think about considering. Thanks

Do NOT go to Gloucestershire. You will struggle to leave. Trust me. The only decent part of Gloucestershire is the Cotswolds. Even Cheltenham isn’t as nice as it makes out. Avoid Gloucester like the plague.

Do NOT go to Gloucestershire. You will struggle to leave. Trust me. The only decent part of Gloucestershire is the Cotswolds. Even Cheltenham isn’t as nice as it makes out. Avoid Gloucester like the plague.
Really? I never knew that. I’ll definitely have to take that into consideration.

Absolute bollocks apart from avoid Gloucester. I'd agree with that. Much more to gloucestershire than The Cotswolds.

The Cotswolds are heaven, especially Broadway and Moreton in Marsh. We visit each year.

Dorset is gorgeous if you want to be near the coast, with loads of places to visit.

Wells Next The Sea would be my favourite as once again there are so many different areas of interest.

Absolute bollocks apart from avoid Gloucester. I'd agree with that. Much more to gloucestershire than The Cotswolds.
What part of Gloucestershire do you think is nice to live in? Because I lived in that dump for far too long and refer to my leaving as my escape. The Forest of Dean is truly a cross between the Hills Have Eyes and Hot Fuzz. Nothing to do, stuck in the dark ages and wild boar destroying gardens to boot. Stroud is a black hole, Gloucester a crime ridden dump, Lydney is where old people go to die. Newest much the same.

By all means, if you can afford it the Cotswolds are gorgeous and Cheltenham has nice parts if you live your life in a bubble of good schools and trips to Huffkins, avoiding Hesters Way and the rest.

If you live in a tiny, expensive village and have food delivered and don’t actually have to see populated Gloucestershire, by all means do it. But it is godawful otherwise.

If you have to go to that part of the world, you’d be marginally better over the border in Herefordshire.