House alarm

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wanting some advice regarding getting a house alarm fitted I’ve tried to google but it’s impossible to get a rough price or sign up for a quote without giving all your details.

Has anyone had an alarm fitted with the ‘big companies’ I.e ADT or anyone? Would you recommend it and was it expensive

I’ve also seen smart alarms systems, has anyone got these? They seem fairly simple to install just wondered how reliable they are

Any advice is appreciated

Reactions: 1
Just wanting some advice regarding getting a house alarm fitted I’ve tried to google but it’s impossible to get a rough price or sign up for a quote without giving all your details.

Has anyone had an alarm fitted with the ‘big companies’ I.e ADT or anyone? Would you recommend it and was it expensive

I’ve also seen smart alarms systems, has anyone got these? They seem fairly simple to install just wondered how reliable they are

Any advice is appreciated
We have had our alarm with ADT for years. They also have a guard service, so if the alarm goes off and they call you and you don't answer, they will send one of their guards out to check the property, before calling the police...as here if it is a false alarm, you are fined by the police. We have glass break sensors on all our windows, sensors on our doors, motion detectors... we basically got all that we could, lol.
We also have cameras, they are not through ADT. But are the Arlo ones and they are really good.

We have had our alarm with ADT for years. They also have a guard service, so if the alarm goes off and they call you and you don't answer, they will send one of their guards out to check the property, before calling the police...as here if it is a false alarm, you are fined by the police. We have glass break sensors on all our windows, sensors on our doors, motion detectors... we basically got all that we could, lol.
We also have cameras, they are not through ADT. But are the Arlo ones and they are really good.
Oh brill thank you I shall definitely enquire with them. I have heard good things about them before! Never heard of glass beam sensors I shall look into them ha

Are you in the UK?
If so, look for an installer accredited by the NSI -google them and they have a search tool to look for local companies. Companies accredited by the NSI are audited and have to reach certain standards. You will probably have to give details as quotes will be site dependent.
Larger companies might offer you a cheaper install rate but can tie you into a longer contract/higher ongoing costs.
You can buy systems that you can install yourself- which means that quotes that you may be given by alarm companies seem really high- but you have no after care if you install it yourself (and bare in mind that if your alarm malfunctions and causes a noise disturbance to your neighbours, you risk action from environmental health if they report it.)

Are you in the UK?
If so, look for an installer accredited by the NSI -google them and they have a search tool to look for local companies. Companies accredited by the NSI are audited and have to reach certain standards. You will probably have to give details as quotes will be site dependent.
Larger companies might offer you a cheaper install rate but can tie you into a longer contract/higher ongoing costs.
You can buy systems that you can install yourself- which means that quotes that you may be given by alarm companies seem really high- but you have no after care if you install it yourself (and bare in mind that if your alarm malfunctions and causes a noise disturbance to your neighbours, you risk action from environmental health if they report it.)
Yes based in the UK sorry should have said. I hadn’t heard of that I will definitely take a look. Yes that’s my worry with a smart one it would malfunction and go off randomly

Yes based in the UK sorry should have said. I hadn’t heard of that I will definitely take a look. Yes that’s my worry with a smart one it would malfunction and go off randomly
There probably are some smart ones which you can install yourself which are reliable- the company I work for install alarms so I could bore you with this info all day and am slightly biased 😂 - but I have taken calls from homeowners who have alarms that they have fitted themselves, it goes wrong and the manufacturer won’t help them- and from neighbours complaining about an alarm- which is why in my opinion it’s worth paying the extra charge initially for installation by an alarm company- even just for peace of mind 🙂

We had an ADT alarm but now we are with Simplisafe including window alarms, motion sensors, cameras and panic buttons etc. We had to have a custom package as we’ve have quite a large house and I think in the end it cost around £6000 but I am incredibly happy with it.

There probably are some smart ones which you can install yourself which are reliable- the company I work for install alarms so I could bore you with this info all day and am slightly biased 😂 - but I have taken calls from homeowners who have alarms that they have fitted themselves, it goes wrong and the manufacturer won’t help them- and from neighbours complaining about an alarm- which is why in my opinion it’s worth paying the extra charge initially for installation by an alarm company- even just for peace of mind 🙂
Haha no thank you that’s my worry or it wouldn’t detect someone moving and not go off or something. Do you know roughly how much on average they are to install? Or what prices start from

Haha no thank you that’s my worry or it wouldn’t detect someone moving and not go off or something. Do you know roughly how much on average they are to install? Or what prices start from
Starting from around £700.00 for a basic system, comprising of 3-4 detectors, goes up from there depending on how big your house is, how much coverage in the property you need, whether you need monitoring and a police response.
Some companies will charge a small installation cost initially and then a monthly fee (for example - £150.00 initial cost and then £30 a month for 2 years).