Home Buying/ Mortgage Advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I see you've already had conflicting advice but definitely don't go with your bank in the first instance - talk to an independent mortgage broker/financial adviser, one with access to the whole of the market, so you get the best deal/rate out there, not just what your bank will offer you.

You don't need to make an offer on a house via a solicitor either.
this! Definitely go to an independent financial advisor - they will do all the leg work for you and explain the entire process. You don’t pay them directly but if you take out a mortgage/product that they have recommended, they then receive money from the provider I.e the bank. If you go directly to your bank they are just going to tell you about their products which is very limiting and you can also end up paying more in fees/a higher rate.

Reactions: 2
Hi everyone, I’m a first timer buyer and looking for some advice…

my boyfriend and I are looking at flats in London, we have found a really lovely 2 bed, with a garden and separate living room and kitchen and it’s own entrance. The asking price is £500k. We went to view it, and it is really lovely, it is in the location we currently are renting in, so we know we like the area. The only downside, is that it backs onto the train line, you couldn’t hear the train when inside, but obviously when in the garden you can, so we are abit apprehensive about that.

Now this is where we are confused, we have looked online at the history of the property, and the current owners bought it in April 2020 for £461k .. since then, they have made the garden abit nicer, added fitted wardrobes, painted and added carpets in the bedrooms, but to me all of that is just cosmetic and tbh personal preference and doesn’t justify the Property being up for £40k more than 1 year ago.. when I look at other properties on the street, a 3 bed flat with a garden sold in December 2020 for £470k, a 3 bed terraced house sold in September 2020 for £480k. I just don’t think the price is justified.. and I know that we can offer whatever we want and what we think the flat is worth, but it just makes me question it..

I also wonder why they are moving after only 1 year, they have said that their family is expanding and so they are looking to upsize in the same area, they don’t have a kid already, so if they are having their first child, why would they not stay in the same flat, as it has 2 bedrooms 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just seems a bizarre thing to do considering they bought it 1 year ago.

we were told that they had an offer accepted on the flat 2 weeks ago, but those buyers pulled out, which makes me wonder.. why..

I just have a weird gut feeling about it, despite loving the flat a lot

what do you guys think?
I would definitely have a survey done, especially if someone else offered then pulled out. Makes you wonder if there’s something you might not have noticed/been told about it yet. You probably know this already but with flats remember to check the length of the lease remaining too.

In terms of prices, I live in London too (the outskirts not central) and I’m still surprised at what some places are up for compared to others when there’s not much difference between them. As you said you can offer what you want, so if you wanted to go in lower you could, I suppose it just depends how much interest they get and how quick they want to sell.

my boyfriend and I are looking at flats in London, we have found a really lovely 2 bed, with a garden and separate living room and kitchen and it’s own entrance. The asking price is £500k. We went to view it, and it is really lovely, it is in the location we currently are renting in, so we know we like the area. The only downside, is that it backs onto the train line, you couldn’t hear the train when inside, but obviously when in the garden you can, so we are abit apprehensive about that.

Now this is where we are confused, we have looked online at the history of the property, and the current owners bought it in April 2020 for £461k .. since then, they have made the garden abit nicer, added fitted wardrobes, painted and added carpets in the bedrooms, but to me all of that is just cosmetic and tbh personal preference and doesn’t justify the Property being up for £40k more than 1 year ago.. when I look at other properties on the street, a 3 bed flat with a garden sold in December 2020 for £470k, a 3 bed terraced house sold in September 2020 for £480k. I just don’t think the price is justified.. and I know that we can offer whatever we want and what we think the flat is worth, but it just makes me question it..

I also wonder why they are moving after only 1 year, they have said that their family is expanding and so they are looking to upsize in the same area, they don’t have a kid already, so if they are having their first child, why would they not stay in the same flat, as it has 2 bedrooms 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just seems a bizarre thing to do considering they bought it 1 year ago.

we were told that they had an offer accepted on the flat 2 weeks ago, but those buyers pulled out, which makes me wonder.. why..

what do you guys think?
Go with your gut feeling. If something about it feels off, it’s probably because it is. Trust your gut and look for something else.

Reactions: 1

what do you guys think?
If one of them works from home permanently or will be doing so then a child on the way means that they will immediately need another bedroom.

Demand in London has jumped up due to the stamp duty holiday, they may be trying to surf that wave, although the first deadline is in two weeks, there is a later one. They may also be going higher to see if anyone will pay it before dropping down. Our house was on for £625k but we saw it when it dropped to £580k. Bear in mind that sellers know they'll get lower offers so may also start high knowing they'll be knocked down. Also, don't underestimate the price of flooring and carpets if they're to your taste, you could easily spend tens of thousands renovating.

Personally I wouldn't buy at the back of a train line, for me it would be being overlooked rather than noise, but many people do, those houses don't go unsold, so if you can live with the noise and being overlooked it's not necessarily going to be an issue.

I recommend ringing up L&C mortgages - i have used them for the purchase of my first property along with re-fixing my mortgage and now in the sale/purchase of my future home.

They dont charge you a fee, they earn their money from the banks so it is completely free to you. The advisors have always given me great advice that i hadnt originally thought of, they do all the hard work and give you a recommendation.

They have access to mortgages from all the major lenders, from Santander, HSBC and TSB to the smaller lenders as well.

I think you can fill in an initial Agreement in Principal online. Get information such as salary/bonus/other benefits, along with any debts such as cars, student loans, bank loans etc.

Has anyone bought a flat that is not in a flat building, it’s just one floor of a house. I’ve seen one I like that’s in a nicer area than I’d probably be able to afford otherwise. It’s 2bed which is what I’m looking for, separate kitchen and living room, a conservatory, parking and a private garden. But I’ve read to avoid flats if possible due to noise but mostly read about flat buildings. Just wondering if anyone had experience living in this kind of flat? I work nights so not sure if it would be too noisy as it is the bottom floor.
The houses I could afford are in not as nice areas, 2/3bed usually with a smaller garden and no allocated parking.

Has anyone bought a flat that is not in a flat building, it’s just one floor of a house. I’ve seen one I like that’s in a nicer area than I’d probably be able to afford otherwise. It’s 2bed which is what I’m looking for, separate kitchen and living room, a conservatory, parking and a private garden. But I’ve read to avoid flats if possible due to noise but mostly read about flat buildings. Just wondering if anyone had experience living in this kind of flat? I work nights so not sure if it would be too noisy as it is the bottom floor.
The houses I could afford are in not as nice areas, 2/3bed usually with a smaller garden and no allocated parking.
My friend lived in a maisonette, which is what you are describing. From the outside it looked like a house but they only owned the ground floor.

They started fine then got new neighbours upstairs who were a nightmare for noise. They had wooden floors and used to walk around with shoes on, so you could hear every footstep. They used to row a lot. My friend and her partner couldn't sleep without earplugs and eventually moved.

The flip side, my mum lives in a ground floor flat, it is just a block of 3 so not high rise. And she doesn't hear a bean from her neighbours! Wouldn't even know if they were in most of the time.

So it really depends how things are built and what the neighbours are like

Havnt bought, but I currently live on the ground floor of a flat like this, noise is never a problem for us tbh except ocassionally when the kid upstairs jumps around, it depends on the neighbours I guess

what do you guys think?
House prices have risen due to the stamp duty holiday and lockdown has made people realise they need more space inside for office space and a garden! Flats harder to sell and houses expensive and selling very quickly!

We looked at a couple of maisonettes before we bought our house. One was a house that had been split into 2, one was built as maisonettes… on the viewing we could hear everything upstairs in the converted house but nothing in the one that was built like that, if that helps