His Dark Materials

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone watched the first episode tonight? 10000 c better than the film, just hope they do the books justice.

Reactions: 1
Better than the film but I was still a bit disappointed. Easy to get used to the huge budgets of Netflix, HBO etc and what that money can buy. I’m going to stick with it for now though.

I could watch James McAvoy paint a wall 😍
Read the books as a teen but haven’t seen the film, I was mildly apprehensive as to whether I would enjoy this as I find the concept is difficult to follow, and my husband hates stuff like this, so it’s hard to watch with him tutting, asking stupid questions or snoring next to me. That said I did like it and can’t wait until next week!

Reactions: 2
Loved it. I really enjoyed the books so looking forward to greater detail than the film was able to show.

I really enjoyed it as I have just listened to Northern Lights on Audible. I think it felt a bit slow so I might save a couple of eps to watch at once. They have changed a couple of characters i think so the storyline will be slightly different too. Great cast and locations/scenery

It was great IMO. Only couple of things that bothered me was that Lyra didnt spend more time running around Oxford with Will, and that Ma Costa was AMD. I always pictured her bigger, and more dowdy.

Absolutely loved it.
Loved James McAvoy... :love:
The acting was brilliant to be honest, and good cinematography. Can't wait for the next episode.

Never even heard of it till i saw the ads on bbc. Very much enjoying it though.

• Wow
Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes and think they have done a great job so far and looking forward to seeing it play out.

Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes and think they have done a great job so far and looking forward to seeing it play out.
Not trying to derail this thread but your picture is giving me all the feels, I miss Clayne Crawford on Lethal so much he's such a top bloke 😭

I’ve just finished episode 2 - a very chilling one! Can’t believe it’s on at 8 honestly, am I a wimp ? Those clergy were so sinister, and played with just enough camp evil to stay scary - and what was his daemon, a flying cockroach or something? It was horrible seeing it crawl all over his face anyway

And good to see more on the daemon / human connections. I’d forgotten how powerful the idea is and how believable their pain is somehow. So the part with Pan and the Gold monkey made me wince as I recall wincing when I read it. And the poor journalist and her butterfly...(wouldn’t you be annoyed if your daemon settled on something that delicate though..?)

I read these books years ago, around the millennium. So I’m getting lots of rich nostalgia and having certain memories triggered as things happen which is pleasant but I also don’t remember nearly enough to take issue with how anything is done. The best of both worlds.

Mrs Coulter continues to be a completely fantastic performance. So cold and commanding, and that bit where she broke down showing she’s not a one dimensional villains... Her and the vile monkey are bringing it all back. I liked Lyra in e.1 in this i liked her less. Maybe it’s her obliviousness that was annoying. But I think, overall I haven’t settled my decision on her. Looking forward to next week.

Reactions: 6
I’ve just finished episode 2 - a very chilling one! Can’t believe it’s on at 8 honestly, am I a wimp ? Those clergy were so sinister, and played with just enough camp evil to stay scary - and what was his daemon, a flying cockroach or something? It was horrible seeing it crawl all over his face anyway

And good to see more on the daemon / human connections. I’d forgotten how powerful the idea is and how believable their pain is somehow. So the part with Pan and the Gold monkey made me wince as I recall wincing when I read it. And the poor journalist and her butterfly...(wouldn’t you be annoyed if your daemon settled on something that delicate though..?)

I read these books years ago, around the millennium. So I’m getting lots of rich nostalgia and having certain memories triggered as things happen which is pleasant but I also don’t remember nearly enough to take issue with how anything is done. The best of both worlds.

Mrs Coulter continues to be a completely fantastic performance. So cold and commanding, and that bit where she broke down showing she’s not a one dimensional villains... Her and the vile monkey are bringing it all back. I liked Lyra in e.1 in this i liked her less. Maybe it’s her obliviousness that was annoying. But I think, overall I haven’t settled my decision on her. Looking forward to next week.
Great commentary :)

^Thanks that’s nice.

My friend who remembers the books better than i do was telling me how they mention how people’s daemons can be connected to their personality. That servants always have dogs for instance which I imagine could be seen as controversial now as it kind of implies your social class is part of your innate soul. But other parts sound quite interesting, she said their was something about insects but couldn’t remember fully and I was wondering about the creepy clergy... anyone able to elaborate?

I was a bit disappointed with the first episode but I warmed to it after 2 and 3. I loved the books and the series looks promising indeed, the way Mrs Coulter belted the monkey in episode 2 shows she into self harm, and for all her coldness is actually quite screwed up and still in love with Lord Asriel.

It was great IMO. Only couple of things that bothered me was that Lyra didnt spend more time running around Oxford with Will, and that Ma Costa was AMD. I always pictured her bigger, and more dowdy.
I always pictured her as a plump and matronly woman, I must say that the portrayal of Mrs Coulter was spot on exactly as I imagined.

I always pictured her as a plump and matronly woman, I must say that the portrayal of Mrs Coulter was spot on exactly as I imagined.
Agreed on mrs Coulter. My memory of the books is vague I read them so long ago, but characteristics do stick with you more than you realise and when she first showed up in this I was like “aaaah yeah.” She had that cold, sinister but immaculately put together thing just right. Sharp kind of politeness and even charm on the surface, but you can tell it’s covering something quite ruthless. So hard to portray all those layers and I think it was great performance from Ruth Wilson.