Hen Do Horror Stories!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Currently trying to organise my best friends hen and it is turning into an absolute nightmare! People absolutely suck!!

Would love to hear your tales of the worst things that have happened on hens that you have been to/ organised...

(Or stags! But they *seem* to be easier!)

Reactions: 7
Omg great thread idea. Can't wait to read. I've been fortunate with hens.

Reactions: 2
My sister in law asked me to be chief bridesmaid and the kids to be flower girls/pageboys

That was fine

What wasn’t fine is the fact she turned into bloody bridezilla

Her mindset seemed to be ‘I want this that and the other but I don’t want to pay for it-it’s my day and everyone else should pay for it’

She forced/guilt tripped me into buying outfits in one colour-then changed her mind (I almost got into debt)

Had me running round town for her-at my own cost-for whatever it was she wanted that day

I could fill the thread with everything but you get the idea-this went on for 9 months-every bloody day brought new demands at a cost to either me or someone else as she wanted it all for free

So anyway-I had to sort the hen do

At the time I was a single mum to 6 so not had loads of spare cash-I was also bringing up kids/school/nursery runs/collage/working part time

I organised a lovely day at a spa (her idea)

I got (forced) all her mates to cough up as I didn’t have the money to pay upfront and some of em thought I’d sub them-I’m talking about 12 hens and over two grand (I paid almost £300 out of my own money on top of everything else I was forced to pay for)

Went to a lot of trouble to sort all this out and make her day special-in fact I made myself ill over the stress of it all

She then uninvited me on the day-an hour before we where due to set off for this spa day cos ‘you’ll find it hard to get childcare’ (I had in fact sorted childcare) and invited a mate of hers to take my place at my expense-she hadn’t lifted a finger to sort any of this apart from to ring me all the sodding time with more demands

so on the day itself I stood on her dress (accidentally) and tore it a tiny bit-I’m talking a few stitches

She screamed at me for being ‘an idiot’ and how ‘she could just punch me’

I made it to the wedding breakfast without punching her-(tempted tho) then I saw red-and I stole their wedding cake-snuck it out the building and gave it to my kids for breakfast the following morning

We don’t speak anymore...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 196
I have a hen coming up and it is honestly just the disorganisation of it all!
The cost was originally going to be something like £60 and then without warning jumped up to £115 with a sorry we miscalculated if you could pay that ASAP that would be great as if we all have £55 sitting about in JANUARY. (How do you miscalculate £55????)
Then the address is in the middle on no where with no arrival time specified so no one knows if we are meant to be there before the bride or not and if we are meant to be there before no one has taken into account the fact that people are working as it is a Friday?

There is more but I’ll rant for ages so that is just the most recent stuff 😂

I can update with any actual horror stories after the weekend!

Reactions: 12
I have a hen coming up and it is honestly just the disorganisation of it all!
The cost was originally going to be something like £60 and then without warning jumped up to £115 with a sorry we miscalculated if you could pay that ASAP that would be great as if we all have £55 sitting about in JANUARY. (How do you miscalculate £55????)
A similar thing has just happened to me! We are going abroad for the weekend and the flights were miscalculated and we ended up oweing an extra £90! And the original price she quoted us was way more than I ever would have paid for the destination. Even the flight times are badly organised.

We also got no say in the accommodation and it's pretty expensive. She just booked it and was like "so you owe me £x by the end of the month".

If I had a hen party I would be happy just having a night out. It's so much money now. Is it the instagram effect where everyone wants this OTT hen? And then what about the people close to you that would love to celebrate with you but can't afford it.

This is my first hen party and I am looking forward to it just a shame about the organisation. I will definitely be more vocal in future 😂

Reactions: 14
I never want to organise a hen do.. I’ve been on a few and am in the middle of one being organised now..
We are only in the early stages but its already annoying with people saying they are coming so the MOH finds us somewhere to stay and costs up per person only for people to drop out after they confirm their attendance, so the price gradually rises to the point where we now have to find somewhere new 🙄

Reactions: 4
Hen dos are absolute waste of time now. The tradition of them is wasted, thankfully, as women do and can still go out after marrying. The whole point of a hen do in our grandma's day was that it was last blow out before being a stay at home wife who would never have gone to a pub with friends. They have become a stressful expensive over rated waste and I've turned down quite a few over the years. And yes i have turned into an old misery obviously!!

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I have no stories! I couldn't be bothered with doing anything more thank going for a meal with a select few. I hate large group outings. Am here for all your stories though!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I was left by my bridesmaids to plan my own. So I did. And paid my own way too (weekend in a family owned apartment, we just had flights to pay for)

Fast forward 5 years and my maid of honour gets married. I'm expected to plan her hen do, which I don't mind. But when I split the cost between all of us, her included, she says she didn't think the bride should pay 🤷

She wanted a few days in Spain! So we all ended up paying for her too and I'll forever be known as a mug 🤦

I wouldn't have minded paying for the bride, but the fact it wasn't a 'thing' until it was her that was the bride annoyed me!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
Hen parties are a joke now. I know some people that have had 3 of them, one for family, one for pals at home then one abroad. I organised my own hen night
Expense was low and everyone had a fab night. My bridesmaids has wee surprises for me which was lovely.

Reactions: 15
No horror stories because I’ve NEVER been to one 🙈

I will say some of my clients have told me some horror stories about bridezillas who expected them to pay for EVERYTHING!

Reactions: 12
Hen dos are my idea of hell! I was invited to one recently and declined. Apparently not wanting to spend hundreds and not wanting to leave my three little beauties for a weekend is strange 👍

Reactions: 24
They are hard work! Even as the bride I found it difficult because I could see that trying to please everyone AND make it something I would love was really starting to stress out my MOH.
I did a trip away but only with my closest friends (all bridesmaids and one friendship group, so fairly easy to sort and it just replaced our girls holiday that year). I also did it 9 months ahead of my destination wedding because doing it too close meant so much more to pay for. They covered my costs but I made sure I snuck off and paid as many bar/restaurant bills as I could whilst there. I did do a night out in London to include everyone else too but I don’t “think” it was difficult and there was no pressure to attend, I made a point of telling everyone that and asked my MO to reiterate. I told her to decide and then it was just a yes/no, asking for opinions or suggestions or “what do people think of this” and costing out 57 different options just gets far too much.

It’s just the badly organised ones I dislike, or where people have forgotten the dead obvious elements such as transport. I did one a few years ago that had a cocktail class first thing, then a food class which really lowered the tempo, then we hung out at someone’s flat for ages and then went out to a set menu dinner in a really odd choice of restaurant. All different areas of London and nobody had thought about transport so one minute we’re getting a tube then people decided to get a taxi, then we lost people, it was just so unorganised and really killed the vibe. We’d also paid for “goodie bags” on top of the activities which I’m pretty sure only stocked the MOHs drinks cabinet, we got a miniature spirit and a straw each and that was it for £25!

Reactions: 6
Loving these responses! I had 2 hens and one of the bridesmaids who organised them is helping me to organise this one, and commented that mine were really easy so why is this so hard. I do really like hens for getting to know people before the wedding, they’re usually fun!

Reactions: 2
My friend couldnt get anyone to agree on things to do so me her and our other mate buggered off to dublin for the weekend and saved her the stress

• Heart
I can't be done with hen holidays, when i got married many years ago we all met up in a pub then headed on down to a nice restaurant had plenty to eat and was drinking from willy straws, then onto a pub after then met up with the stags and got the bus home. Perfect night.

• Heart
I didn't have a hen when I got married. Mainly for all the reasons listed above!
Do I regret it? Nope. Not for one second.

Reactions: 27
This is such a shame because I LOVED my hen do !!
we went abroad but to Budapest as it was soooo cheap. I paid my own flight and hotel and my bridesmaids planned activities and paid my share for me ❣
I think they can be done fairly/cheaply/modestly if people want them to be.
Although I have to say some people try to go too OTT and piss people off with cost etc when it isn’t necessary!

Reactions: 7
My sister's hen do was an absoloute nightmare to plan and organise. I lost count of the amount of panic attacks it gave me. Have vowed NEVER EVER to plan another hen do again. Have also vowed to NEVER plan anything for my sister again, her friends were something else. Was so glad when her wedding was over so I didn't have to see or talk to them again. It sounds extreme but it was so stressful 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 19
I have no stories! I couldn't be bothered with doing anything more thank going for a meal with a select few. I hate large group outings. Am here for all your stories though!
Hen parties make me cringe.

#bridetribe duck OFF!

I'm even not married by the way 😂

But I love hearing about deranged witches so I'm here too! 🙌🏼

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 27