Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Joosephine

Thank you so much ❤ I got a pair of merrels and ordered some yaktrax for the shoes I have. Hopefully give me some confidence!

Reactions: 3
I really like my yaktrax, they give me a lot of confidence when I'm out in the winter, as I'm rather clumsy myself.

Best of luck for a safe and injury-free winter!

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Mustard

VIP Member
Look at the Merrell ones. They have a UK website and do free shipping and returns. You can also read reviews online at other sites like Amazon.

Sorel also do ones with good traction.

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Sorry to hear that happened to you @Josephine Bloggs. I also fall over easily and agreed with @Mustard - Merrell are excellent. Grippy soles, comfortable and last for years.

If you are in a budget, Decathlon do their own brand copies of Merrell and if you are near a Decathlon store you can try them all on. (And Decathlon also stock Merrell).

If you need to wear something more ‘fashion’ (eg for commuting to work) you can get YakTrax. They fit onto most shoes and boots, you can take them on/off as you need it. YakTrax is the original brand but if you look on Amazon there are cheaper versions.

Finally... not as grippy as Merrell but it might be worth a look at Dr Marten. They have expanded in recent years and now have styles that are more streamlined and less ‘street’ than the originals, but still a lot more sturdy than your average high street boot.

Sabbie

VIP Member
I've lived in Northern New England for the past 15 years, and given up on any boot giving me good traction. I am also pretty accident prone so I can never relax when walking on snow and ice which is what you ideally need to do. In my experience if you cannot relax and be calm it doesn't matter how great the boot is. The past two years I've used YakTrax like mentioned above and they are the best thing to buy for nervous walkers. They don't work so well in extreme ice and temperatures (by extreme I mean -15c or colder) as they do like something to grip on to, but other than that it's what I use with no problems.

I think id go looking in some walking shops, like blacks, millets, go outdoors or mountain warehouse and ask the staff there for help.

Reactions: 1

Joosephine

4 years ago I slipped on ice and broke my arm. 2 years ago I slipped on ice and broke my leg. Recently I fell on a wet patch and broke my leg again. Obviously I'm very clumsy and accident prone lol.

As I'm due to start physio over the winter months I'm terrified of even walking out the garden incase I slip again. My balance is kaput!

Any recommendations on a really good winter boot? I have seen some online but it's hard to tell if they will be good on snow/ice etc.

Thanks!