Height difference in a relationship? Deal breaker?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I need some friendly and non judgemental advice please.

I have recently been chatting to a guy for around a month now, we speak ever day and have a few phone calls. We seem to get on great and the conversation just flows nicely; he isn't sex mad and hasn't sent the usual pictures men seem to do this day and age.

There is just one thing thats bugging me at the moment, and that's the fact he is 3 inches smaller then me in height. I have 5ft 8 and quite stocky and I'm worried we will odd together when we meet.

I have never actually dated a guy shorter then me, although I was seeing a guy a while back who was around the same height and every one made comments.

Suppose my question is has anyone been in this situation or has dated a shorter guy?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I'm short at 5 foot 1 so I wouldn't date someone shorter than me personally. My brothers wife is taller than him, I think it looks odd especially when she's in heels but it works for them, they've been married 9 years. There are plenty of celeb couples with the woman taller than their other half.
Why not meet and see what you think in person?

I'm short at 5 foot 1 so I wouldn't date someone shorter than me personally. My brothers wife is taller than him, I think it looks odd especially when she's in heels but it works for them, they've been married 9 years. There are plenty of celeb couples with the woman taller than their other half.
Why not meet and see what you think in person?
Is there alot of height difference between them? I don't wear heels never have. We are due to meet but the closer the date gets the more I'm fretting, I know height shouldn't be an issue but it's something new.

My sister is taller than her boyfriend, it doesn’t bother them.
I’m 6ft and would struggle to go out with anyone shorter. For me it’s not about how we look, couldn’t give a tit.
but compared to other girls growing up I always felt big, broad and manly compared to their petite frames. I wouldn’t want to feel that way in a relationship.

Reactions: 6
I think you should meet up with him and see how things go face to face. I know in theory I think why should height matter but in reality I think I would feel the same as you a bit apprehensive. If you get on then great

Reactions: 2
I'm 4ft 9 and a half so no, not shorter 😂 My boyfriend told me afterwards that he felt a bit weird about my height before we met because he'd never dated anyone short. But he got over it pretty quickly! I think he thought I was going to be a midget 🙄

I like tall men - my boyfriend is 6ft 1. I have been out with a couple of much shorter men - probably around 5ft 5 - and they just didn't do it for me. One was an online date who had clearly lied about his height and that really annoyed me. I was a lot shallower back then though but it is something that I think would still bother me.

I think you'll just have to meet him and judge how you feel when you see him in person.

My friend is taller than her husband and she always makes fun of him which I think is mean lol

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I would say meet up with him and see how it goes with your personalities. I am 5’7 and was with a guy for some time who was around 5’4. It never bothered me as we had a great time, nobody ever commented on it and and wasn’t anything to do with the height difference why we’re no longer together, we just drifted apart.

Definitely don’t let it put you off meeting up!

• Heart
Personally Ive never dated anyone shorter then me but I suppose if you get to know him more it might not be a issue. Let us know how the date goes.

I'm 5'9 and when I used to go out gallivanting and got chatting to a nice guy I would secretly be praying that when we both stood up, he would be taller than me! However I've always been in relationships where my bf has been either the same height or a tiny bit taller than me and it's been no issue. I understand your concern but you wouldn't want to miss out on a potential match made in heaven either!! Go and have fun, see what he's like then report back!! 😉😊

I'm 5'3" so there aren't too many guys shorter than me (my husband is 5'9") However my friend and her husband have been married for almost 16 years now and together for about 20. She's 5'10" and he's 5'5".

Discriminating against men because of height (or rather lack of it ) makes me uncomfortable.

Why is it ok for us to do this still? We wouldn’t openly have the same discussion about weight, colour or many other appearance issues. It’s not as if they can control their height.

But I’m only 5’ 2, freckly and ordinary looking so I haven’t got a lot physically to be superior about.

Reactions: 6
Discriminating against men because of height (or rather lack of it ) makes me uncomfortable.

Why is it ok for us to do this still? We wouldn’t openly have the same discussion about weight, colour or many other appearance issues. It’s not as if they can control their height.
I must admit to fancying the arse off 5'6" John Bercow 😊

Screenshot_20200206_201142.jpg

But I’m only 5’ 2, freckly and ordinary looking so I haven’t got a lot physically to be superior about.

I think it comes down to type though doesn't it. I don't like big muscles or skinny men. I don't usually like blond hair (can sway for a tall scandi hunk). I think height comes into it too.
Some guys don't like tall girls. I've had it a lot.

Thats one of the good things about online dating, you can get to know someone first. Usually it's like, too tall, to fat, hairs not right, don't like this, that, or the next thing.

Online lets the personality come through. Then the rest really does become secondary

Reactions: 3

So are we not allowed to have a 'type' now?? Would me saying I would prefer to date men who look like Michael Fassbender be discriminatory to men who don't look like Michael Fassbender?? I'm not sure they would be that bothered??

Physical attraction is just a preference, however in reality you have relationships based on a lot more than looks alone, but in my experience you do need to be attracted mentally and physically as well as feeling comfortable with someone.

Reactions: 9
Years ago I had a brief relationship with a guy that was a good few inches shorter than me. Mega chemistry between us and height didn't really come into it. I'd say meet up and see how you get on face to face. I think if you like him enough it really won't matter.

having a type is fine. And not wanting to be with someone short is fine.

My question is about how it’s ok to discuss height as a negative thing so often. ( not just here, I’m sorry this is just the thread that got me due to a few things on insta recently). Would we have had a similar thread on another characteristic such as weight / colour/ size of nose?

I think if you like him and he likes you it would be a shame to dismiss even trying a relationship just because he’s a little shorter.
I know it’s not the ‘norm’, but if he’s a nice guy I would at least meet him.