Healthy eating / Meal replacements / diet advice.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m two stone over weight, tired all the time with no energy! I’ve just received my blood tests back that have checked my vitamin levels and hormone levels. There’s nothing wrong therefore I must just be greedy and lazy! Lol. I have done SW and WW in the past and don’t want to do again. I want to try a diet healthy meal delivery or replacement. Please can I have advise ❤ Thank you in advance

Reactions: 1
Best diet is no diet - they don’t work long term. Eat nutritious food and move your body in ways you enjoy - the rest will take care of itself.

Reactions: 10
I was the same. My issue was snacking late into the night and I always felt bloated and sluggish. I'm doing intermittent fasting where I eat between 11 and 7 then fast. During the fast all I can have is water. I didn't start for weight loss just as a way of getting my eating under control as whilst during the day I am good the late night munchies always saw me hitting high fat high sugar foods. I feel so much better. Its hard, I'm really wanting breakfast now but I've got a free app and it's motivation to hit my target. As an aside my tummy is much smaller and I am losing some weight (judging by my clothes, I don't weigh myself). I eat normal during the day and I feel for me I can sustain this (obv I won't fast every day but it makes me think what do I want to skip it for and is it worth it).

Another thing that has make me have more energy is walking. I started walking for mental health reasons during lockdown, started doing a mile daily and now I will walk between 3 and 6 miles a day. Im sleeping loads better now.

Reactions: 5
You need to change your mind set; you don’t need to “go on a diet” - you need to change your eating & exercise habits.

Take an honest look at what you eat & drink in a day. Then look at your portion sizes. Get rid of the crap; takeaways/sweets/crisps/chocolate/fried food/alcohol/added sugar etc etc etc - then replace with vegetables, fruit, water etc. 3 meals a day, portion control, no crap and daily exercise- even an hours walk a day.

You can’t view it as “a diet” - because you’re always going to be trying to get to “the end” of it and then “go back to normal” - what you have to start to do is view it as a long term lifestyle change.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
cut down sugar and carbs intake.
No don’t cut carbs. That’s a complete myth you need carbs. It’s in fruit and veg. Only eat complex carbohydrates before exercise and a little after if your trying to lose weight.
Don’t ban any food groups. Just limit the amount of complex carbs if your on a fat loss. Also add protein to each meal keeps you feeling fuller.
Once you deprive food groups you will then have a terrible relationship with food and become a yoyo dieter.
Eat less move more.
Try and walk an hour each day cut out snacking and you will see a major difference.
The most important thing is if you want to have a sustainable weight loss then realise to get to your goal weight will take time.
Good luck ❤

Reactions: 4
No don’t cut carbs. That’s a complete myth you need carbs. It’s in fruit and veg. Only eat complex carbohydrates before exercise and a little after if your trying to lose weight.
Don’t ban any food groups. Just limit the amount of complex carbs if your on a fat loss. Also add protein to each meal keeps you feeling fuller.
Once you deprive food groups you will then have a terrible relationship with food and become a yoyo dieter.
Eat less move more.
Try and walk an hour each day cut out snacking and you will see a major difference.
The most important thing is if you want to have a sustainable weight loss then realise to get to your goal weight will take time.
Good luck ❤
I meant more like bread not fruit and veg.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I meant more like bread not fruit and veg.
I know what you mean.
You can eat bread. That’s again a myth just rather then have two toasts have one.
It’s moderation.
I prefer bagel as it has a higher protein value then typical bread but again I choose whole grain.
Also have whole grain. Great for fibre intake.
Oh I forgot drink lots of water.

I wouldn't go meal replacements - a mistake. Opt for nutritious, less calorie dense food and fill out meals with that. Don't cut out any particular foods (unless you have allergies or a condition that requires it). Personally to lose weight I found exercise and calorie counting the most useful.

Reactions: 2
I wouldn't go meal replacements - a mistake. Opt for nutritious, less calorie dense food and fill out meals with that. Don't cut out any particular foods (unless you have allergies or a condition that requires it). Personally to lose weight I found exercise and calorie counting the most useful.
Agreed. Meal replacements are a waste of time. My mum has been on slimfast for years on and off and still the same weight as they just make you binge later when you’re starving hungry.

my advice would be reduce alcohol consumption, you’d be surprised how the calories can add up. Workout how many calories you need per day and track on MFP. Weigh your pasta, rice, oils, butter. It does take time.

trainee-Nutrition Coach here & I agree that for some people really struggling who need that initial boost keeping an eye on your calories and tracking macronutrients can really give you an insight into why certain things happen.

how often do we pick up something and just eat it without considering what our body will do with it?

I think using a calculation to determine your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is a great starting place (I can share the calculation if you’d like) and then take 300-500 calories off that total number and try to stick within that range daily, getting a good split of carbs, protein and fats. Apps like My Fitness Pal can help with this if you’re comfortable with that but if not then there are other ways to hit your targets.

as others have suggested, have protein with every meal and fill up on it, it’s the most satiating macronutrient so it will keep you feeling full.

Happy to share more tips & info if needed & more than happy to work out anyone’s TDEE if they’d like to DM!

Reactions: 8
trainee-Nutrition Coach here & I agree that for some people really struggling who need that initial boost keeping an eye on your calories and tracking macronutrients can really give you an insight into why certain things happen.

how often do we pick up something and just eat it without considering what our body will do with it?

I think using a calculation to determine your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is a great starting place (I can share the calculation if you’d like) and then take 300-500 calories off that total number and try to stick within that range daily, getting a good split of carbs, protein and fats. Apps like My Fitness Pal can help with this if you’re comfortable with that but if not then there are other ways to hit your targets.

as others have suggested, have protein with every meal and fill up on it, it’s the most satiating macronutrient so it will keep you feeling full.

Happy to share more tips & info if needed & more than happy to work out anyone’s TDEE if they’d like to DM!
Yes please ❤

Me too please!! ☺

You need to change your mind set; you don’t need to “go on a diet” - you need to change your eating & exercise habits.

Take an honest look at what you eat & drink in a day. Then look at your portion sizes. Get rid of the crap; takeaways/sweets/crisps/chocolate/fried food/alcohol/added sugar etc etc etc - then replace with vegetables, fruit, water etc. 3 meals a day, portion control, no crap and daily exercise- even an hours walk a day.

You can’t view it as “a diet” - because you’re always going to be trying to get to “the end” of it and then “go back to normal” - what you have to start to do is view it as a long term lifestyle change.
Agree with this. Change your mindset before embarking on a diet (which never work anyway).

I’m two stone over weight, tired all the time with no energy! I’ve just received my blood tests back that have checked my vitamin levels and hormone levels. There’s nothing wrong therefore I must just be greedy and lazy! Lol. I have done SW and WW in the past and don’t want to do again. I want to try a diet healthy meal delivery or replacement. Please can I have advise ❤ Thank you in advance
Be kind to yourself. It can fee impossible to lose weight but it’s all about the small changes and it takes time. Don’t bother with crash diets and all that BS. If you want it to be permanent it needs to be sustainable.

when you decide to make a change it’s easy to go all in full noise but it never lasts.
Some things you could try to change introduce (not all at once)

If you drink soft drinks/ squash try reducing it by just one a day. Then two etc until you see it as an occasional treat.

Dont go shopping when hungry/ emotional (I may be talking to myself here)

Get sweet fruit like mandarins to replace sugary things. Yes they are sugary too but also nutritious and will make you feel virtuous.

try halving the carb portion in evening meal and adding more veg.

I never deny myself anything but I do think about amounts. I can eat as much fruit as I want but I think about other things more, not labelling anything as ‘bad’ just more knowing it won’t make me feel good if I eat a heap of it so I just have a bit. Now if I drink a can of coke (for example) I notice how it makes me feel quite ill. If I just pinch a bit of my husband’s I feel fine. It all comes back to being kind to yourself. Good luck 🧡

Go back to good old fashioned eating.
Meat and two veg, as they would say.
Cut out all the crap that we well know we should not eat.
Stick to 80/20% balance.
Use My Fitness Pal app to log your calories and check the nutrients page of it.
Up your protein intake.

And water, water water.

Start walking or couch to 5k. Or whatever rocks your boat but get moving.
I use Lean Justine on insta and You Tube for work outs.

You will be fine. Xx

Last edited:
I was watching this dietician from Australia on You Tube giving advice to cyclists who want to lose weight. Whats she was saying was that loosing weight is 30% exercise and 70% what you eat. You need to be basing your meals primarily around fruit and vegetables, then protein and a small amount of good quality carbs, like brown rice, not chips from the chip shop etc. Also to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.