Health Anxiety

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I have this too, although for me it’s more emetaphobia (fear of being sick)
I had CBT therapy for it years ago and it’s recently come back after I had a really sicky pregnancy. Now it’s over I still convince myself I feel sick all the time and it’s horrible.

Kate Murnane did a video on Health anxiety years ago so that would be interesting to watch for anyone suffering with this xxx

I have GAD but health anxiety is definitely part of it. Lost my Mum fairly young to cancer and had a spot checked out on my face (was given a video call 6 months ago by docs but hasn't gone away) and Dr said there's a very very small chance it's a basal cell and will refer me so.... here I am. Wide awake. Absolute mess because I'm convinced it is and then it will come back and be something worse and I'll die like my Mum did. I'm only in my 30s. I googled which was stupid even things saying BCC doesn't spread etc it's often followed by "95% of the time". I've already had 2 rare benign rumours removed from each hand - both different so brain is like ah 3rd time unlucky!!

I'm also feeling pains in random places now including my face so panic of having a worse skin cancer that's spread everywhere. Goodbye sleep. I'm half tempted to pay for a private dermatologist appointment to find out for certain quicker but I also want to ignore it. GOD SAKE

Apologies for the rant/vent

I have GAD but health anxiety is definitely part of it. Lost my Mum fairly young to cancer and had a spot checked out on my face (was given a video call 6 months ago by docs but hasn't gone away) and Dr said there's a very very small chance it's a basal cell and will refer me so.... here I am. Wide awake. Absolute mess because I'm convinced it is and then it will come back and be something worse and I'll die like my Mum did. I'm only in my 30s. I googled which was stupid even things saying BCC doesn't spread etc it's often followed by "95% of the time". I've already had 2 rare benign rumours removed from each hand - both different so brain is like ah 3rd time unlucky!!

I'm also feeling pains in random places now including my face so panic of having a worse skin cancer that's spread everywhere. Goodbye sleep. I'm half tempted to pay for a private dermatologist appointment to find out for certain quicker but I also want to ignore it. GOD SAKE

Apologies for the rant/vent
I really feel for you, it’s so horrible not being able to turn your thoughts off and now it seems you’re in a feedback loop of feeling stuff in your body because you’re hyper aware and then worry about it, then more strange sensations etc etc
I am so sorry you lost your mum when you were young.
Did you know that at night time our brains literally lose the ability to rationalise? There’s definitely some research out there which is relating to back when we were living in caves etc we were very aware of danger at night to keep us safe so there is a reason for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I get UTI’s frequently and I haven’t had this although it can sometimes be a symptom of kidney stones (may not be but sometimes is). So best to let your GP know so they can double check for you x
thank you, i thought it may be kidney stones, i will get it checked. thanks again.

I’m struggling again 😪 not looking for a diagnosis and I know if I’m really worried I should just go to the doctor but I’m just looking for some kind words 😞 noticed a few weeks ago I had a dark mark on my toenail, had a closer look today and it’s definitely not a bit of dirt or anything, so I googled it (I know 🥺) and it said it could be melanoma 😪😪 was doing okay but my boyfriend went back to work today and he’s always away during the week so I think I’ve been alone too long again 💔 and that new cancer advert on telly doesn’t help either 🥺

• Heart
I’m struggling again 😪 not looking for a diagnosis and I know if I’m really worried I should just go to the doctor but I’m just looking for some kind words 😞 noticed a few weeks ago I had a dark mark on my toenail, had a closer look today and it’s definitely not a bit of dirt or anything, so I googled it (I know 🥺) and it said it could be melanoma 😪😪 was doing okay but my boyfriend went back to work today and he’s always away during the week so I think I’ve been alone too long again 💔 and that new cancer advert on telly doesn’t help either 🥺
are you sure you havent just bruised it? or it could be fungal infection, it would be really rare for it to be serious x

Sorry you're struggling. My anxiety has been up and down lately with one health problem after another! I like to watch the GP Behind Closed Doors programme. This week it was about patients googling and diagnosing themselves! Obviously the GP's find it amusing but they said that google will always show you the worst case scenario first! I'm no angel with googling but I think someone here suggested typing ,anxiety after your search and I've found that works and brings up less scary things. Eg. I just typed 'dark mark on toenail, anxiety' and the first thing it brings up is toenail bruise!

It is harder when you're on your own and alone with your thoughts but it's best to keep busy and distracted and stay off google!

are you sure you havent just bruised it? or it could be fungal infection, it would be really rare for it to be serious x
I might have bruised it but I don’t remember doing anything and it’s not and hasn’t been painful or anything 🥺 thanks x

Sorry you're struggling. My anxiety has been up and down lately with one health problem after another! I like to watch the GP Behind Closed Doors programme. This week it was about patients googling and diagnosing themselves! Obviously the GP's find it amusing but they said that google will always show you the worst case scenario first! I'm no angel with googling but I think someone here suggested typing ,anxiety after your search and I've found that works and brings up less scary things. Eg. I just typed 'dark mark on toenail, anxiety' and the first thing it brings up is toenail bruise!

It is harder when you're on your own and alone with your thoughts but it's best to keep busy and distracted and stay off google!
Thanks that’s helpful! I couldn’t watch anything medical as it’s too triggering for me, I used to live near a hospital and had to walk past it to work every day and it was always hard 😞

• Heart
I might have bruised it but I don’t remember doing anything and it’s not and hasn’t been painful or anything 🥺 thanks x
i get covered in loads of bruises and dont always remember doing them, and not all of them hurt. It will probably go away soon, try not to worry, i get all sorts of weird things and they dont always mean anything , or the other thing is a fungal infection, perhaps you could ask the pharmacist to have a look at it x

i get covered in loads of bruises and dont always remember doing them, and not all of them hurt. It will probably go away soon, try not to worry, i get all sorts of weird things and they dont always mean anything , or the other thing is a fungal infection, perhaps you could ask the pharmacist to have a look at it x
I’ll give it a few weeks and see if it grows out, I’ve put some nail polish on the bottom of my nail so I can tell if it’s growing out with the nail or not 😅 thanks for your kind words, I needed them ❤

• Heart
I've been googling health anxiety today! (the irony). Have a massive fear of cancer but rather than actually seeking help or booking a doctor's appointment, I just avoid it and continue worrying. Think it comes from losing my nan as a child and from the little information I had back then, to me it seemed like she had a headache and then died from cancer all over her body. Rationally I know there would have been way more to it of course. I've had a change in bowel habits but yeah you guessed it, its made 100 times worse by anxiety! The only time my heart isn't pounding with worry is when I can actually get to sleep. The second I wake up, I'm just a jittery mess. Always had stupid rituals as a kid like not stepping on cracks in the path will bring my nan back, still have ridiculous ones now but never actually considered the fact I could have OCD. Just a mess! And need to relax to see if my body goes back to normal but it's bloody impossible at the moment.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I’ll give it a few weeks and see if it grows out, I’ve put some nail polish on the bottom of my nail so I can tell if it’s growing out with the nail or not 😅 thanks for your kind words, I needed them ❤
thats ok, i worry about my health a lot too, i know what it can be like, i bet it goes away on its own, take care x

I've been googling health anxiety today! (the irony). Have a massive fear of cancer but rather than actually seeking help or booking a doctor's appointment, I just avoid it and continue worrying. Think it comes from losing my nan as a child and from the little information I had back then, to me it seemed like she had a headache and then died from cancer all over her body. Rationally I know there would have been way more to it of course. I've had a change in bowel habits but yeah you guessed it, its made 100 times worse by anxiety! The only time my heart isn't pounding with worry is when I can actually get to sleep. The second I wake up, I'm just a jittery mess. Always had stupid rituals as a kid like not stepping on cracks in the path will bring my nan back, still have ridiculous ones now but never actually considered the fact I could have OCD. Just a mess! And need to relax to see if my body goes back to normal but it's bloody impossible at the moment.
Are you me?? 🤯 I feel exactly the same as you, had the same experience with a grandparent and just recently another relative 🥺 the talk about cancer cases and COVID don’t help, my anxiety is worse thinking I won’t be able to get a drs appt and something will spread and I’ll die 🥺 but I’ve been seen on the two week pathway for rectal bleeding, I’ve literally basically had dirahhea every day for a year, as soon as I had the flexi sig and there’s nothing wrong so far, it’s cleared right up and I’m normal again! It’s crazy how much anxiety affects your bowels so I’d definitely say don’t worry too much about it! Edited to add I was also having left sided abdominal pain, as soon as I stopped worrying I haven’t had it since

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Sounds like a bruise to me, the mark on the toenail.
I dont have health anxiety as such more a phobia about medical procedures. If I was really ill with something like cancer that needed loads of hospital visits and treatments I would just refuse and let nature take its course. I know that for a fact.
I had to take my Mum for her hip replacement last year and it was for 7 am, she had to check in. All the people who were having operations got led upstairs and then met by the medical staff for prep etc. I had to leave because I felt I was about to faint, everything started closing in and I felt sick.So My Mum had to cope with it by herself. I thought that was better really than me blacking out!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Sounds like a bruise to me, the mark on the toenail.
I dont have health anxiety as such more a phobia about medical procedures. If I was really ill with something like cancer that needed loads of hospital visits and treatments I would just refuse and let nature take its course. I know that for a fact.
I often wonder how I’d cope with it all 💔 but we’re stronger than we think x

Are you me?? 🤯 I feel exactly the same as you, had the same experience with a grandparent and just recently another relative 🥺 the talk about cancer cases and COVID don’t help, my anxiety is worse thinking I won’t be able to get a drs appt and something will spread and I’ll die 🥺 but I’ve been seen on the two week pathway for rectal bleeding, I’ve literally basically had dirahhea every day for a year, as soon as I had the flexi sig and there’s nothing wrong so far, it’s cleared right up and I’m normal again! It’s crazy how much anxiety affects your bowels so I’d definitely say don’t worry too much about it!
Bless you! Its awful to know that other people are going through it but also so reassuring to not be alone. That's great news that everything is ok with you so far, must be such a massive bit of relief! Yeah I agree all the talk and adverts about cancer isn't helpful and when it's already on your mind constantly, it feels personal doesnt it, like a sign. On 'This Morning' a few weeks ago they had a piece about bowel cancer and it just took me straight into a panic. I'm definitely trying to relax, I've always been one to get a nervous/excited/any emotion sort of tummy anyway. Thought from the age of about 14 that I've probably got IBS but this year I've seen a bit of blood twice (assuming if it was anything sinister that it would get continually worse, not go away and come back). And this week I'm having a few loose movements all in the morning and then nothing, just so weird but as you say, probably anxiety! Sorry to ramble, its the first time I've let all this out!

Bless you! Its awful to know that other people are going through it but also so reassuring to not be alone. That's great news that everything is ok with you so far, must be such a massive bit of relief! Yeah I agree all the talk and adverts about cancer isn't helpful and when it's already on your mind constantly, it feels personal doesnt it, like a sign. On 'This Morning' a few weeks ago they had a piece about bowel cancer and it just took me straight into a panic. I'm definitely trying to relax, I've always been one to get a nervous/excited/any emotion sort of tummy anyway. Thought from the age of about 14 that I've probably got IBS but this year I've seen a bit of blood twice (assuming if it was anything sinister that it would get continually worse, not go away and come back). And this week I'm having a few loose movements all in the morning and then nothing, just so weird but as you say, probably anxiety! Sorry to ramble, its the first time I've let all this out!
Ramble away! Happy to listen ☺ It’s probably worth getting checked out but I also had blood on and off and the flexi sig only showed a polyp and haemorrhoids. Those new ‘just is a small word’ cancer adverts are killing me 🥺 what if I’m just saying it’s ‘just’ a small mark on my toenail and actually it’s something serious? 😰 I’m fed up of living like this 💔

Ramble away! Happy to listen ☺ It’s probably worth getting checked out but I also had blood on and off and the flexi sig only showed a polyp and haemorrhoids. Those new ‘just is a small word’ cancer adverts are killing me 🥺 what if I’m just saying it’s ‘just’ a small mark on my toenail and actually it’s something serious? 😰 I’m fed up of living like this 💔
It's exhausting. I completely understand. Just living in a constant state of utter fear. I even worry that I'll spend my life worrying and eventually I'll be ran over and die that way 🙄 waste of life. Defnitely see if the mark stays the same size and starts growing up with the nail, if you notice that its stretching or not moving, get it seen. So easy to say to someone else though. I wish I was more like my mum, if she has something, she goes straight to the doctors, gets it checked and sorted. So far, its never been anything scary. Shes so matter of fact about it and if it's a problem, it'll get sorted. So rational! Its good that you don't fear going to the doctors but the relief is only temporary isn't it 😔

• Heart
It's exhausting. I completely understand. Just living in a constant state of utter fear. I even worry that I'll spend my life worrying and eventually I'll be ran over and die that way 🙄 waste of life. Defnitely see if the mark stays the same size and starts growing up with the nail, if you notice that its stretching or not moving, get it seen. So easy to say to someone else though. I wish I was more like my mum, if she has something, she goes straight to the doctors, gets it checked and sorted. So far, its never been anything scary. Shes so matter of fact about it and if it's a problem, it'll get sorted. So rational! Its good that you don't fear going to the doctors but the relief is only temporary isn't it 😔
Thankfully the doctors at my surgery are all lovely and I never feel like I’m wasting their time, they all take the time to listen to me and I’m sure they would for you too! Maybe you could consider counselling for your anxiety? It’s less medical and would give you space to talk about your fears...I’ve been in counselling since 2014 and it’s changed my life x

Thankfully the doctors at my surgery are all lovely and I never feel like I’m wasting their time, they all take the time to listen to me and I’m sure they would for you too! Maybe you could consider counselling for your anxiety? It’s less medical and would give you space to talk about your fears...I’ve been in counselling since 2014 and it’s changed my life x
Thats fab, exactly how it should be. I should definitely do something, I know I've had anxiety for a very long time, it basically feels like it makes up the majority of who I am, but it's really only today that I've put 2 and 2 together and realised it's this as well! Thankyou though I'll have to explore and see what can be done, or if I can even help myself now I know it's an actual thing, and very real with lots of people experiencing it. Thankyou for listening to me, I'm sorry you're going through it x

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.