Have you started your own business?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is something I really want to do. I am hardworking and dedicated the only problem is I don’t know what to do!!
Those of you who started your own business what is it and how did you do it/get inspired???

Reactions: 1
I have 2 businesses, when I first started I was employed part time and built my business up at the same time, I am a hairdresser so put my card around and through word of mouth I now have lots of loyal customers!

The other is still a work in progress x

I have 2 businesses, when I first started I was employed part time and built my business up at the same time, I am a hairdresser so put my card around and through word of mouth I now have lots of loyal customers!

The other is still a work in progress x
thats great, I just wish I had done a vocational skill of some sort that would lend itself to starting my own business I did the standard degree then graduate office job but then left to be a sahm but now itching to work for myself but just feel lost about what to do and how to go about it

I will be following this carefully. It’s something I would love to do and I’ve been thinking about it a lot recently.

Reactions: 3
Planning to in the future but there's no way I'm going into debt for it so I'm saving up for now

Reactions: 2
I don’t, but plan to! I want to learn and here more so following 😀

thats great, I just wish I had done a vocational skill of some sort that would lend itself to starting my own business I did the standard degree then graduate office job but then left to be a sahm but now itching to work for myself but just feel lost about what to do and how to go about it
What is your passion and interest? Any special interests or talents, creative flair etc?

You need to find something you have a genuine interest in, being self employed is hard and especially so if you’re doing something you don’t particularly like. You also have to be able to handle the pressure that comes along with running your own business - financial as well as the paperwork/accounts/admin that is required which is often a job in itself.

you’ll need to spend some time & money on learning a skill/trade and you’ll need money behind you to start your business with.

Reactions: 5
I don’t, but plan to! I want to learn and here more so following 😀

What is your passion and interest? Any special interests or talents, creative flair etc?
that’s my problem there is nothing in particular that grabs me I know that sounds awful. I wish I was someone that was passionate about something and my direction would be clear! Anything! But since becoming a mum I’ve just lost myself to parenting

Reactions: 2
You need to find something you have a genuine interest in, being self employed is hard and especially so if you’re doing something you don’t particularly like. You also have to be able to handle the pressure that comes along with running your own business - financial as well as the paperwork/accounts/admin that is required which is often a job in itself.

you’ll need to spend some time & money on learning a skill/trade and you’ll need money behind you to start your business with.
I agree, 13 years of hairdressing I’ve had enough of it tbh, it doesn’t excite me anymore, it’s hard to keep going and putting all the effort in for something you no longer like x

Reactions: 3
Last year I very much considered it. Found out my county offered free advice and courses regarding starting up your own business. I went to 3 x 3hour sessions. They were great and helped. Will attend some more this year.

Like someone stated before, I'm not willing to get into debt so I'm saving. I'm really excited to get things into motion in maybe a year or 2. It will take hard work but I know my risks. I've done my market research, there isn't something like it in my town so I won't be in competition.

Google your county and see if there is anything on offer.

Good luck guys!

Reactions: 4
My husband is desperate to start our own business. It’s the risk that frightens me. I think we have a good idea for a saturated market but we don’t have the equity to put into it. We would need to look at grants and business loans.
I might do the business plan this year and think about it. We talk about it all the time so maybe having the feasibility in black and white might make us do it or realise it’s actually a tit idea 😂😂😂
Nothing ventured nothing gained I guess. It’s harder and harder to make good money being salaried.

What did your y do the degree in ? What about looking at some virtual p.a work if you previously worked in an office while you think about what you want to focus on?

There are so many niches now I mean people pay other people to organise pantry's and wardrobes .

Degree was in history. I am hoping reading peoples stories will motivate and inspire those of us who would love to start our own business
My husband wants to open a gym but I think there is too much competition in our area and such big start up costs.

Interested to hear everyone's stories.

Would love to set up my own business..

I'm currently a support worker (end of life care in the community) working for the NHS and have 12 years experience in various care roles..

If have no clue where to advertise myself to get my own group of clients..

Two businesses, don’t want to say too much but I trained for over a decade in the industry I’m in before the business started and has been running for 5+ years and seen major growth.

Best advice is to do something you’re GREAT at (being good sometimes isn’t enough), something you enjoy and are passionate about and something that has long-term potential to make profit.

Speak to your local authority business advisers (we have Business Gateway) who offer free advice, classes, one-to-one support and the ability to look at funding methods. Also try to attend networking events to meet other business owners. There’s a lot to be learned from these... there’s always a quite clear divide of successful business owners and the ones who are flogging a dead horse.

Reactions: 4
I started my business in 2011. I dont want to say what I do but in vague terms I sell my own digital (and a few physical) products on my website. Pros are that I am now at the stage where I dont have to put much effort in, I work when I want and because my product is niche there arent many of us around. Cons are i sometimes feel a bit isolated and also I worked my knuckles to the bone to get my business off the ground when i had 3 small tots at home and I regret not spending more time with them. In the beginning its hard to think about anything but your businesses at first!

Reactions: 5
4 years into our business. We definitely weren't great when we started. There's been a lot of learning and growing over the years. Most businesses live or die based on how you get people to pay you money. Sounds so stupidly simple but you can have the best business in the world but if you don't know how to market it, no-ones going to pay you. It's also a grind for the first few years, I was even booking clients whilst in labor. My husband always says doing nothing is worse than doing something and realizing it was a mistake.

I would like to do something with dogs. What I do for work is fine, but I love dogs so so much. I would love to run a secure dog field. I don’t have land or the money to buy it, but I’m looking into leasing it. This is a few years off but it’s something I’m passionate about.

Has anyone been a primary school/early years teacher and started their own business but within something that they can still use their skills and love of working with children???

it’s definitely my vocation to work with children but I’m completely disillusioned with teaching and the micromanagement and completely exhausting demands put upon us from leadership.

I’m just curious if anyone has felt the same and managed to get out, but not had to completely give up on everything they’ve worked towards.