Has the influencer era had its day?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What job satisfaction do influencers feel they get from shopping as a full time job and showing the world their " achievements."
Does it make them proud?... fulfilled?

On their death beds will their last words be... " I wish I shopped more?"
🤔🤷‍♂️🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I think that they feel fulfilled by thinking that they are sooooo incredible, everybody wants to buy things to be the same as them. I think that keeps them happy and satisfied. It is short lived though and once people stop being 'influenced' by them, they start to feel worthless. Its a sad life that they lead.

Reactions: 8
Influencers all seem so desperately UNhappy though ....sure it’s nice to get lots of nice things but they’ve all paid for it with their true happiness.

No matter what is going on in their actual life they have to sell a false image of constant happiness else what they are selling doesn’t sell well.
I know an influencer last year had a miscarriage but had to continue as though everything was rosy because it didn’t fit the brand. I felt really sad for her :(

• Sad
Reactions: 9
What I despise about “Influencers” is that they all preach about the “Sisterhood” and “Women supporting women”
But we all know that when a Brand Deal comes knocking..it’s every (Wo)man for themselves.

Reactions: 19
I don't think it's has its day but I do think it needs to be formalised. Too many are shady, ie not declaring gifts to the tax office as payment in kind, hiding ads etc. It might have its day when Instagram take a slice of the pie and charge for the use of affilate links or take a percentage cut, I have a feeling the removal of like count is that start of that happening, they will gradually remove features than charge if you want them back.

Reactions: 10
If a celebrity or influencer recommends a product I definitely stay away from it !
Me too !!! Especially when the ‘same’ brand/product is bounced about by so many celeb/influencers .. i don’t believe a word they say cos it’s just easy ££££ to them ....

Reactions: 14
Yes Campervan, I do the same! If I see a product or brand being promoted I deliberately do not buy it! These influencers get the items and then within days resell them on depop or eBay. It’s so wasteful.

Reactions: 5
Yep I'm exactly the same if someone keeps pushing the same product it makes me not want to use it or buy it

Reactions: 6
Inluencers are sales people who will continue as a breed for so long as the advertisers pay them and the influencers are making money.

The application of rules which affect advertisers and sales people outside the web will doubtless cut back the easy money which many influencers have made as grifters, by ignoring the easy rules in place.

Reactions: 4
Inluencers are sales people who will continue as a breed for so long as the advertisers pay them and the influencers are making money.

The application of rules which affect advertisers and sales people outside the web will doubtless cut back the easy money which many influencers have made as grifters, by ignoring the easy rules in place.
I think the worst part is that the majority of these ‘influencers’ hardly ever declare their ads as being ads/gifted! Not only are they making a very easy and large income, they’re also unlikely to be paying their taxes on these incomes! The whole thing is so wrong! I know some on the instamums personally and they’re from such well-off backgrounds, one that I’m familiar with was given a £250k house for her 18th birthday (that was more than 10 years ago so the house would be worth more in today’s money).

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I think the worst part is that the majority of these ‘influencers’ hardly ever declare their ads as being ads/gifted! Not only are they making a very easy and large income, they’re also unlikely to be paying their taxes on these incomes! The whole thing is so wrong! I know some on the instamums personally and they’re from such well-off backgrounds, one that I’m familiar with was given a £250k house for her 18th birthday (that was more than 10 years ago so the house would be worth more in today’s money).
Oh .. What does TRANSPARENCY mean !!!
I understand AD/gift / collab /spon / I look for that before paying out ? But what are the declare my tax rules on Instagram guidelines.. let’s take for example a well known influencer promoting her new Collection being sold on ITS ..
she’s touted it for days on IG daily trading g pics of her new collection counting down it’s sale release .. then. blow me down 2 seconds after it’s released later ITS ‘celebs’ are posing in the outfits .. ( that haven’t been sold yet ‘) so where are the #Ad/ Gifted/ spon on all these accounts ?

• Wow
Oh .. What does TRANSPARENCY mean !!!
I understand AD/gift / collab /spon / I look for that before paying out ? But what are the declare my tax rules on Instagram guidelines.. let’s take for example a well known influencer promoting her new Collection being sold on ITS ..
she’s touted it for days on IG daily trading g pics of her new collection counting down it’s sale release .. then. blow me down 2 seconds after it’s released later ITS ‘celebs’ are posing in the outfits .. ( that haven’t been sold yet ‘) so where are the #Ad/ Gifted/ spon on all these accounts ?
I believe that because Instagram promotion/ advertising is a relatively new platform and that the rules are relatively vague! The ASA exist as a regulating body, however I think this is all still very new to them.
I am aware though that (some) of these ‘influencers’ are being paid substantial amounts for each post although in some cases I know this is not being declared as income.

• Wow
I just wish they used their influence for somethinf more positive, like eco living, reducing plastic waste and reducing consumption of crap.

But I guess selling crap is what makes the money (for everyone involved) so that’s never gonna happen.

Reactions: 9

Glad to see this is now beginning to happen.

Last edited:
I just wish they used their influence for somethinf more positive, like eco living, reducing plastic waste and reducing consumption of crap.

But I guess selling crap is what makes the money (for everyone involved) so that’s never gonna happen.
I completely agree! When climate change is such a huge issue facing us all today, the last thing I need to see is another bloody primark haul! These women are using their following to flaunt throw - away fashion.

Glad to see this is now beginning to happen
At least they’re finally starting to do something! On a side note, I have read news articles stating some these products being promoted such as some skinny tea brands have actually lead to people being hospitalised! It’s so dangerous, anyone can post how ‘great’ a product it is.

Not so long ago an influencer (after crying ‘troll’) said there seems to be “a shift in the water” and they were right, the tide is definitely turning.

However...I don’t think the tide is turning in their favour. More and more people are becoming disillusioned with the behaviour of many influencers.

From the not declaring ads, not labelling gifted items properly, hiding the words “affiliate link” by using white text on a white background, not answering questions as to where charity donations have gone (I’m looking at you here Pitwam), not apologising for inappropriate behaviour & the lack of response when asking their followers to engage about sensitive/emotional topics such as mental health etc.

Just within the last few months we have family vloggers/parenting influencers leaving children unattended on a beach, justifying racist content and showing no remorse for it, swearing in front of their child as well as starting YouTube channels for their child even after it has been pointed out said childs images have been found on adult sites. I could go on with this list of ridiculous behaviour as this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I don’t think it would all fit in one post haha

We are seeing influencers over-sharing their children to the point of sheer exploitation, with seemingly no concern for their environmental health or the impact it may have on their mental health in the future.

There has been an alarming amount of influencers who are no longer being honest with us, who are not being transparent and who are displaying a lack of integrity and a scant regard for their followers mental health.

A lot of people are now seeing through the influencer industry as is evident by the number of people on here, so yes, I do believe the influencer bubble is (finally) bursting.

There has been a surge of people unfollowing many influencers and only following people who enrich their lives and offer something beneficial (advice, tips etc), instead of advertising products we do not need.

I’ve been quite vocal about this but I do think we need to make our follow count. If we are not feeling valued or feel as though we are not being given value (in form of decent content, engagement etc), if we do not feel respected or appreciated by the influencers we need to consider unfollowing them and following those who DO make us feel valued, respected & appreciated.

(Apologies, I never intended this post to get quite so long 😳)

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Couldn't agree with you more here. It's all just me me me!

Reactions: 5
I don't think it's has its day but I do think it needs to be formalised. Too many are shady, ie not declaring gifts to the tax office as payment in kind, hiding ads etc. It might have its day when Instagram take a slice of the pie and charge for the use of affilate links or take a percentage cut, I have a feeling the removal of like count is that start of that happening, they will gradually remove features than charge if you want them back.
Unless the tax laws have changed in the last couple of years they don't have to declare items gifted to them by companies. Taking cash payment is a different matter.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I think that no matter how much these ‘influencers’ claim to be just like the rest of us, people are realising that they aren’t. I don’t get paid between 3-5k for posting a picture on Instagram or go on free holidays or get sent free things I don’t really need or would never buy myself.

I understand they’re being paid to promote products but when it’s anything it does really make you think

• Heart
Reactions: 3