Has the influencer era had its day?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I enquired a couple of years ago whether I had to declare £4000 of prizes I'd won that year, none of them were cash. I was told no as effectively they were gifts. Don't see the difference really.
But they’re essentially making a living out of gifts - no need to spend money on food (hello fresh anyone?) or clothes or decor or holidays when it’s all gifted. Plus they must make a lot from selling on gifted items. Gifts should totally be taxed as income. Might make them think twice about accepting and promoting any old thing as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
But they’re essentially making a living out of gifts - no need to spend money on food (hello fresh anyone?) or clothes or decor or holidays when it’s all gifted. Plus they must make a lot from selling on gifted items. Gifts should totally be taxed as income. Might make them think twice about accepting and promoting any old thing as well.
There are people out there who enter competitions to make money and then there's the hobbyist. Influencers are no different to people who obtain goods via those means. The lady I spoke to at HMRC told me that it is the prize/gift giver who has to declare the things they have given not the reciever. Good luck to influencers if they can kit their homes and kitchens out with freebies. Life is hard enough and I don't begrudge anybody who's got the brains to go out and get it a thing. Too much bitterness out there these days. 😊

There are people out there who enter competitions to make money and then there's the hobbyist. Influencers are no different to people who obtain goods via those means. The lady I spoke to at HMRC told me that it is the prize/gift giver who has to declare the things they have given not the reciever. Good luck to influencers if they can kit their homes and kitchens out with freebies. Life is hard enough and I don't begrudge anybody who's got the brains to go out and get it a thing. Too much bitterness out there these days. 😊
I see it as very different from competition winnings, which is down to luck. Gifts from a company to an influencer are a payment in kind, for work. The work being promoting a product by showing it to their followers in whatever way that may be.

If you’re implying I’m bitter, believe me I’m not as I’m fortunate to have a very comfortable lifestyle. However I do have a strong sense of justice and in a world where nurses are having their pay frozen and schools are asking parents for annual donations due to funding cuts, I think everyone should pay their fair share of tax.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
You don't have any idea about who contributes what tax in any household. How the influencers run their finances is their business, it's their funeral if they are caught breaking any law regarding tax or anything else. That's my opinion, they are small fish in a big pond there are far bigger law breakers out there who's unpaid taxes would actually make a bigger difference than a thousand influencers ever would and that's me done on the subject. Have a nice evening 😊

Unless the tax laws have changed in the last couple of years they don't have to declare items gifted to them by companies. Taking cash payment is a different matter.
No they sell them on and make money for it that way .

I’d rather general influencers be gifted things by companies than big time celebrities

Reactions: 3
Too much bitterness .oohhh .. probably the bitter people haven’t had a ‘good break’ and are working hard at making ends meet and see all these / some of these greedy influencers cashing in left right and centre with absolutely no appreciation just pure greed as ‘they think’ it makes them a ‘famous ‘ person

You don't have any idea about who contributes what tax in any household. How the influencers run their finances is their business, it's their funeral if they are caught breaking any law regarding tax or anything else. That's my opinion, they are small fish in a big pond there are far bigger law breakers out there who's unpaid taxes would actually make a bigger difference than a thousand influencers ever would and that's me done on the subject. Have a nice evening 😊
It’s not about whether they are breaking a rule or not, it’s not about the fact that of course Amazon, Google et al avoid way more tax than individuals, it’s about the fact that it’s essentially payment received that they’re not paying tax on. That’s like saying “I won’t bother with my reusable cup and taking my own bags to the supermarket because doing my own little bit for the environment is pointless when it’s the big companies responsible for most of the damage”. What a flawed argument.

Last edited:
I enquired a couple of years ago whether I had to declare £4000 of prizes I'd won that year, none of them were cash. I was told no as effectively they were gifts. Don't see the difference really.
A competition win is different. If you are an influencer, working with a company on an ad, and your fee is paid in kind by gifted items and those items are over a certain value, then officially it does need to be declared. Items gifted randomly with no specific advertising attached, don’t.

A competition win is different. If you are an influencer, working with a company on an ad, and your fee is paid in kind by gifted items and those items are over a certain value, then officially it does need to be declared. Items gifted randomly with no specific advertising attached, don’t.
And there’s the loophole ..’ gifted randomly’ stick iit on a website and SELL it !! ££££££ in your greedy pocket 🙄

Reactions: 1
I’d rather general influencers be gifted things by companies than big time celebrities
I wouldn’t. At least with celebrities people understand that they’re different and the reason why companies send them things. Lots of influencers play the “I’m just a normal person like you” card and then some followers get into debt thinking they should be able to have the same lifestyle or feel inferior because their own life pales in comparison. Yes lots of us see through it, but lots of people don’t.

Reactions: 3
I think that no matter how much these ‘influencers’ claim to be just like the rest of us, people are realising that they aren’t. I don’t get paid between 3-5k for posting a picture on Instagram or go on free holidays or get sent free things I don’t really need or would never buy myself.

I understand they’re being paid to promote products but when it’s anything it does really make you think
From experience they are definitely not “like everyone else”. The ones I know personally have come from money, are mostly private school educated and have gorgeous homes that are Instagram worthy because mummy and daddy (and now husband) have the finances to prop them up.

Influencers all seem so desperately UNhappy though ....sure it’s nice to get lots of nice things but they’ve all paid for it with their true happiness.

No matter what is going on in their actual life they have to sell a false image of constant happiness else what they are selling doesn’t sell well.
I know an influencer last year had a miscarriage but had to continue as though everything was rosy because it didn’t fit the brand. I felt really sad for her :(
How awful 😞