Has anyone gotten pregnant quite quickly after coming off the pill??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I initially came off my birth control pill in January of this year after being on it for nearly 10 years and we were using other forms of protection for the first few months but have recently decided to just let nature take its course and if it happens it happens. There’s a chance that I could be pregnant currently but I haven’t done a test as of yet as I’m due my period in about 2 weeks time so trying to hold off until then. I’ve spoken to a few women I know about how long it took to conceive once they came off the pill and a lot said a year if not longer than that. I’m aware it can probably differ from person to person but I would be quite shocked if I am as I feel it’s happened so quick and maybe didn’t expect it to happen this quick or this soon after especially considering how long I was on the pill for but I’m just curious if any other women have fallen pregnant quickly after coming off the birth control pill I was on microgynon for nearly 10 years

I did and have just had my little boy who is now 8 weeks. I was on the pill for 13 years. We decided we wanted to try after our holiday last year but like you I had read for every year you were on the pill give a month to return to normal cycles. So for me it could take a year. I stopped taking the pill end of june/ early july and was pregnant by the end of august.

I also didn't expect it to happen so quickly! I also have friends who got pregnant pretty much straight after coming off the pill

Reactions: 1
My husband and I have 2 girls, 9 and 4 and both were conceived within a week of coming off the pill. We were both incredibly shocked, as I believed the same as Tiley66, that it would take a month for every year To return to normal, and at the time of conceiving my youngest I’d been on the pill for about 8 years.

It’s definitely different for each person but I wouldn’t rule out pregnancy. 🤞🏻 🙂

I did and have just had my little boy who is now 8 weeks. I was on the pill for 13 years. We decided we wanted to try after our holiday last year but like you I had read for every year you were on the pill give a month to return to normal cycles. So for me it could take a year. I stopped taking the pill end of june/ early july and was pregnant by the end of august.

I also didn't expect it to happen so quickly! I also have friends who got pregnant pretty much straight after coming off the pill
That’s amazing! Apart from the first month after I came off the pill my periods regulated quite quickly and it’s came like clockwork the same date every month. I was surprised at that as well considering the length of time
I was on the pill thought it would have taken a bit of time but I’ve also read apparently women are really fertile when they’ve just come off the pill I’m not sure if there’s any truth in that. I’ve had cramping and a few other symptoms the last week or so but they can also be similar to menstrual cycle symptoms so it’s hard to tell at this stage if it’s m just because my period is due soon or if I’m pregnant as I’ve read when implantation happens you can have cramping but I just feel like something is off or different with me. Also feeling a bit anxious and nervous to find out

My husband and I have 2 girls, 9 and 4 and both were conceived within a week of coming off the pill. We were both incredibly shocked, as I believed the same as Tiley66, that it would take a month for every year To return to normal, and at the time of conceiving my youngest I’d been on the pill for about 8 years.

It’s definitely different for each person but I wouldn’t rule out pregnancy. 🤞🏻 🙂
That’s amazing! I will be really shocked if I am as well! I have been having symptoms the last week or so but they can also be similar to menstrual symptoms so hard to tell at this point but i just feel different in myself but have to wait and see. Really anxious and nervous to find out. Also worried if I am what I do as my doctors surgeries is still closed and hasn’t been taking apps for a while 😐😐

I came off microgynon in the jan and was pregnant by the end of March - it can deffo happen, but I had literally no symptoms. Just a few days late period! I had to have an early viability scan to make me believe I was pregnant 😂

I initially came off my birth control pill in January of this year after being on it for nearly 10 years and we were using other forms of protection for the first few months but have recently decided to just let nature take its course and if it happens it happens. There’s a chance that I could be pregnant currently but I haven’t done a test as of yet as I’m due my period in about 2 weeks time so trying to hold off until then. I’ve spoken to a few women I know about how long it took to conceive once they came off the pill and a lot said a year if not longer than that. I’m aware it can probably differ from person to person but I would be quite shocked if I am as I feel it’s happened so quick and maybe didn’t expect it to happen this quick or this soon after especially considering how long I was on the pill for but I’m just curious if any other women have fallen pregnant quickly after coming off the birth control pill I was on microgynon for nearly 10 years
Fingers crossed for you. What makes you think you might be pregnant?

I have no experience of the pill but I came off my nexplanon implant in September 2018, had one period and fell pregnant in November 2018 so it definitely can happen. What makes you think you might be pregnant? If you are 2 weeks away from your period that is typically when you release an egg (depending on cycle length) then if your egg gets fertilised it takes a few days to implant so you wouldn’t be getting any symptoms until after that. Fingers crossed for you though I hope you get your BFP soon.

Fingers crossed for you. What makes you think you might be pregnant?
I don’t know if it sounds stupid but I just have a feeling if that makes sense? I have had some symptoms like cramping which I read can be a sign of implantation and have had slight lower back pain but I also am aware they can be signs of your menstrual cycle so that’s why I’m thinking it’s 50/50. I’ve also had ever so slight nausea and not sure if anybody else has experienced this or it’s just in my head but I feel like lower abdominal area feels heavy but that could just be in my head I dunno. I use an app to track my period which I know they aren’t 100% accurate but we had unprotected sex twice in the space of 3 days and it was ‘supposedly’ according to the app within my fertile window period so I’m just 50/50 at this point, but probably too early to take a test so was planning to wait until the week of my period but that’s near 2 weeks away still. This would be my first time being pregnant so new to anything like this

I have no experience of the pill but I came off my nexplanon implant in September 2018, had one period and fell pregnant in November 2018 so it definitely can happen. What makes you think you might be pregnant? If you are 2 weeks away from your period that is typically when you release an egg (depending on cycle length) then if your egg gets fertilised it takes a few days to implant so you wouldn’t be getting any symptoms until after that. Fingers crossed for you though I hope you get your BFP soon.
Yea I’ve only started experiencing cramping, lower back pain the last few days today felt ever so slightly nausea, but aware cramps and lower back pain can also be menstrual symptoms so kind of 50/50 atm

I came off microgynon in the jan and was pregnant by the end of March - it can deffo happen, but I had literally no symptoms. Just a few days late period! I had to have an early viability scan to make me believe I was pregnant 😂
That’s madness! If I am this would be a bit earlier than we’d planned or expected. Was expecting it to take a while after coming off the pill, but my body did seem to regulate back to normal quick haven’t missed a period since I’ve come off it

Last edited:
I didn’t really think I was pregnant, I had been doing ovulation tests and hasn’t got a single positive. My friend who was also trying text me telling me she was pregnant and i started crying, my boobs hurt really bad and I was a day late (didn’t think anything of it) took a test on a whim and it was positive.

Where I am in Kent you self-refer on the Nhs website after you take tests. The doctors didn’t check.

I don’t know if it sounds stupid but I just have a feeling if that makes sense? I have had some symptoms like cramping which I read can be a sign of implantation and have had slight lower back pain but I also am aware they can be signs of your menstrual cycle so that’s why I’m thinking it’s 50/50. I’ve also had ever so slight nausea and not sure if anybody else has experienced this or it’s just in my head but I feel like lower abdominal area feels heavy but that could just be in my head I dunno. I use an app to track my period which I know they aren’t 100% accurate but we had unprotected sex twice in the space of 3 days and it was ‘supposedly’ according to the app within my fertile window period so I’m just 50/50 at this point, but probably too early to take a test so was planning to wait until the week of my period but that’s near 2 weeks away still. This would be my first time being pregnant so new to anything like this

Yea I’ve only started experiencing cramping, lower back pain the last few days today felt ever so slightly nausea, but aware cramps and lower back pain can also be menstrual symptoms so kind of 50/50 atm

That’s madness! If I am this would be a bit earlier than we’d planned or expected. Was expecting it to take a while after coming off the pill, but my body did seem to regulate back to normal quick haven’t missed a period since I’ve come off it
I think it’s more often when you google about coming off the pill it’s always stories about taking a while, which is why I came off thinking we’d need a few months. I guess perhaps age and other factors can help - I was 26 when I fell pregnant and v healthy and active in the gym (May have not made a difference at all mind you!)

We took a first response, I believe they say blue dye tests are more notorious to have false positives etc but I remember taking it and before I’d put it down to wait it had two lines. Most surreal moment ever!

On a side note, I do think there is a mum type forum run by tattle too

Not stupid at all. All of those things could be pregnancy. Got everything crossed for you

I think it’s more often when you google about coming off the pill it’s always stories about taking a while, which is why I came off thinking we’d need a few months. I guess perhaps age and other factors can help - I was 26 when I fell pregnant and v healthy and active in the gym (May have not made a difference at all mind you!)

We took a first response, I believe they say blue dye tests are more notorious to have false positives etc but I remember taking it and before I’d put it down to wait it had two lines. Most surreal moment ever!

I would say it probably can help to an extent. I’m 29 don’t smoke, rarely drink alcohol, exercise regularly and eat a well balanced diet, no health issues or medical problems. I would say I’m very physically healthy so I’m sure that plays a part. To be fair majority of the women I talked to about conceiving etc all smoked so I’m sure that probably had an effect. Obviously stopped when they where trying to conceive but had been smoking for years prior and it took them over a year or more to get pregnant. My husband smokes and I know that can lower chances so for that reason as well I kind of thought it may take us longer. Previously when I thought I was pregnant I used clear blue bought 2/3 of them. I think it’s probably too early in to tell it’s barely even over 2 weeks so I’m just trying not to think too much into it until I see if my period comes or not in the next 2 weeks, but you can’t help but think about it it’s hard not to.

I’ve been wondering about this for a while. I’m currently on microgynon and have been for about 9 years. I started taking it not only for protection but also to regulate my periods which have always been heavy and stressful with bad stomach cramps etc.

Myself and my partner are talking about trying for a baby later this year but stopping the pill and going back to the sort of periods I was having before really worries me.

I have a few friends who have accidentally got pregnant because of missed pills. This might sound really stupid but part of me was toying with the idea of continuing to take it but missing a few here and there... feel free to tell me if this is a bad idea or if there are risks, it’s just the idea of periods like I used to have makes me question coming off the pill at all!

I stopped the pill end of February, so we’ve been trying over 4 months now and nothing yet :(
I fell pregnant with my son 2 weeks after having my implant out though.
i was always told by my nurse that it takes around a year after the Implant, but your fertility comes back within a month on the pill. Which I don’t believe at all. It’s different for everybody

• Sad
Yes around 2 to 3 months coming off the pill both pregnancies , I was on the pill for around 5 years between my children x

Very quickly for me - on the pill for 15ish years and was pregnant within two weeks of stopping it 👶🏼 I think it really is just luck of the draw x

I would say it probably can help to an extent. I’m 29 don’t smoke, rarely drink alcohol, exercise regularly and eat a well balanced diet, no health issues or medical problems. I would say I’m very physically healthy so I’m sure that plays a part. To be fair majority of the women I talked to about conceiving etc all smoked so I’m sure that probably had an effect. Obviously stopped when they where trying to conceive but had been smoking for years prior and it took them over a year or more to get pregnant. My husband smokes and I know that can lower chances so for that reason as well I kind of thought it may take us longer. Previously when I thought I was pregnant I used clear blue bought 2/3 of them. I think it’s probably too early in to tell it’s barely even over 2 weeks so I’m just trying not to think too much into it until I see if my period comes or not in the next 2 weeks, but you can’t help but think about it it’s hard not to
I’ve been wondering about this for a while. I’m currently on microgynon and have been for about 9 years. I started taking it not only for protection but also to regulate my periods which have always been heavy and stressful with bad stomach cramps etc.

Myself and my partner are talking about trying for a baby later this year but stopping the pill and going back to the sort of periods I was having before really worries me.

I have a few friends who have accidentally got pregnant because of missed pills. This might sound really stupid but part of me was toying with the idea of continuing to take it but missing a few here and there... feel free to tell me if this is a bad idea or if there are risks, it’s just the idea of periods like I used to have makes me question coming off the pill at all!
I know people that have gotten pregnant on the pill and I would have forgotten to take my pill over the years and had unprotected sex but I never ended up pregnant. I did have a few pregnancy scares over the years but where always negative, but by that point I’d been on It a good few years. To be honest I dont think missing here and there does much as the hormones from the pill would still be in your body especially if you’ve been on it for a few years so your still technically protected. I was using mine for birth control from I was 21 and just decided at the beginning of the year I no longer wanted to take it. I was scared to come off it as I couldn’t actually remember what my period had been like prior to going on the pill. On the pill my period lasted up to 5 days max and wasn’t all that heavy but I’d have really bad cramping and bad bloating. Since I’ve came off the pill the 2nd day of my period is quite heavy by the 4th day it’s basically gone. I still bloat but not as bad as I did on the pill. My periods and body regulated really quickly after I came off it. I was worried about going months without a period but i was also worried because I’d been on the pill for so many years if it would affect my chances of becoming pregnant once I decided to come off it as I’d read it can affect fertility if your on it for a long period of time but I asked my doctor and she told me she knows plenty of women that have been on it for years and came off it and gotten pregnant within the year and perfectly healthy pregnancies. Maybe speak to your doctor about your concerns and see what they say 😊

Reactions: 2
I would say it probably can help to an extent. I’m 29 don’t smoke, rarely drink alcohol, exercise regularly and eat a well balanced diet, no health issues or medical problems. I would say I’m very physically healthy so I’m sure that plays a part. To be fair majority of the women I talked to about conceiving etc all smoked so I’m sure that probably had an effect. Obviously stopped when they where trying to conceive but had been smoking for years prior and it took them over a year or more to get pregnant. My husband smokes and I know that can lower chances so for that reason as well I kind of thought it may take us longer. Previously when I thought I was pregnant I used clear blue bought 2/3 of them. I think it’s probably too early in to tell it’s barely even over 2 weeks so I’m just trying not to think too much into it until I see if my period comes or not in the next 2 weeks, but you can’t help but think about it it’s hard not to

I know people that have gotten pregnant on the pill and I would have forgotten to take my pill over the years and had unprotected sex but I never ended up pregnant. I did have a few pregnancy scares over the years but where always negative, but by that point I’d been on It a good few years. To be honest I dont think missing here and there does much as the hormones from the pill would still be in your body especially if you’ve been on it for a few years so your still technically protected. I was using mine for birth control from I was 21 and just decided at the beginning of the year I no longer wanted to take it. I was scared to come off it as I couldn’t actually remember what my period had been like prior to going on the pill. On the pill my period lasted up to 5 days max and wasn’t all that heavy but I’d have really bad cramping and bad bloating. Since I’ve came off the pill the 2nd day of my period is quite heavy by the 4th day it’s basically gone. I still bloat but not as bad as I did on the pill. My periods and body regulated really quickly after I came off it. I was worried about going months without a period but i was also worried because I’d been on the pill for so many years if it would affect my chances of becoming pregnant once I decided to come off it as I’d read it can affect fertility if your on it for a long period of time but I asked my doctor and she told me she knows plenty of women that have been on it for years and came off it and gotten pregnant within the year and perfectly healthy pregnancies. Maybe speak to your doctor about your concerns and see what they say 😊
Thanks, I know we’re all different but that puts my mind at rest a bit! I want to give myself the best chance of getting pregnant so I know really the best thing to do is to just come off it. The only plus at the moment is working from home with no planned return to the office any time soon, so if it does take a while to adjust at least I’m at home while that happens!

• Heart
Thank you for starting this thread! I’m in a complete contraception predicament! I’m 32 and I’ve been on the same pill for 12 years - Desogestrel - so I have had no periods since the age of 20! My weight and health has gone up and down over the past 10 years due to two bouts of an eating disorder. I never knew whether my periods stopped during my illness as i didn’t have them in first place! I’ve been fit and at a healthy weight for 4 years now. My partner and I were going to start trying for a baby this year after our holiday to Florida in April however coronavirus happened and we didn’t get to go so my partner decided to propose instead! We now have our holiday rescheduled to 2021 and our wedding is 2022 so we feel we ought to wait until after we are married to try now. I know we are lucky with things to look forward to and it sounds silly but I’m so worried I’ll be past the age of relatively stress free conception. My partner is 8 years younger than me but I’m so worried it’ll be a struggle especially as I caused damage to my body in the past. Is anyone else in this position?! Thanks all - sorry for the wordy post! x