Hair stripping?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, just a quick one for any hair experts.

I'm looking forward to getting my medium brown hair (with grey roots) coloured a nice warm auburn this week. I've only had my hair professionally dyed a handful of times (the last being about 6yrs ago). I use box colours (just a regular brown) and root touch up (but not constantly).

The stylist text me today to confirm the appt and describe what it is I wanted. I booked for a semi-permanent but mentioned that even though I haven't got loads of grey, it can be quite stubborn (a couple of professional colours hadn't taken brilliantly in the past). She suggested a permanent colour might be better but that my hair might need stripping.

I sort of agreed but dont want to be talked into something.

I know nothing about stripping. Is it damaging and is it expensive? The colour, cut and finish would have been £63 and I don't really want to be spending ££££££ more. Not sure whether to just opt for the semi to be on the safe side?

Any advice?

I think the stylist will have to see your hair to tell you what is achievable either way and decide then. I'm not a professional, but wouldn't recommend stripping it at home. You might not end up with a consistent result if you've been home dying, the roots will strip much easier than the ends and you'll end up with the stylist having to correct it.

Reactions: 1
Tint (colour) won’t lift tint, so if your hair is darker than the auburn colour you’re wanting, putting a tint on it won’t show up except for on your natural roots.
I’d be tempted to put some bleach highlights in along with your new root colour, then put an auburn toner over the highlights depending on how the bleach lifts. I prefer this method over stripping as it’s more controlled so to speak, you could end up un earthing all kinds of patchy hell with stripping which in turn ends up being more difficult to correct and then get even.
Look up some multi tonal auburn hair colours and you’ll see the kind of result you’ll get with the highlight suggestion. It’ll be more costly than a full head colour, but once it’s been done you’ll get your desired result with less damage to the hair, plus the next visit you’ll only need your roots doing, it will be an easy to maintain colour in the future once you have gotten there. Hope this makes sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Tint (colour) won’t lift tint, so if your hair is darker than the auburn colour you’re wanting, putting a tint on it won’t show up except for on your natural roots.
I’d be tempted to put some bleach highlights in along with your new root colour, then put an auburn toner over the highlights depending on how the bleach lifts. I prefer this method over stripping as it’s more controlled so to speak, you could end up un earthing all kinds of patchy hell with stripping which in turn ends up being more difficult to correct and then get even.
Look up some multi tonal auburn hair colours and you’ll see the kind of result you’ll get with the highlight suggestion. It’ll be more costly than a full head colour, but once it’s been done you’ll get your desired result with less damage to the hair, plus the next visit you’ll only need your roots doing, it will be an easy to maintain colour in the future once you have gotten there. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks so much for the advice.