Hair extensions - any advice about what sort are best?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey,

I’m getting married in September this year (eeek) and I really want hair extensions for the day. Just wondering if anyone has any advice about what sort are best, what to look out for when looking for someone to fit them & also on time frames. I ideally want to get used to wearing them, but don’t know how long beforehand to get them?

Thanks everyone 😬

Reactions: 1
Hey,

I’m getting married in September this year (eeek) and I really want hair extensions for the day. Just wondering if anyone has any advice about what sort are best, what to look out for when looking for someone to fit them & also on time frames. I ideally want to get used to wearing them, but don’t know how long beforehand to get them?

Thanks everyone 😬
I’m so glad you mentioned this as I get married around that time too and also considering extensions. My hair is growing but need longer for hair down and sides are thinner 😳!

I am thinking the bonds look good and will also get mine put in around May then again retouched just before the wedding so I can also get used to them. I am looking for local recommendations/ reputation as there are a lot of bodge jobs out there I’ve seen 😤x

I had easilocks fitted two weeks before my wedding, they were natural and gorgeous. My hairdresser had trained with them and did them perfectly. If you research the hairdresser then they should be perfect. Expensive but worth every penny

I had easilocks fitted two weeks before my wedding, they were natural and gorgeous. My hairdresser had trained with them and did them perfectly. If you research the hairdresser then they should be perfect. Expensive but worth every penny
Did you get the tape or tips put in? How much did it cost if you don’t mind me asking?

It depends on your hair and how you want to wear it on the day. I’d work with the stylist to discuss placement of the extensions too. I have a mixture of tapes and nano rings at the moment, tapes are higher maintenance but lay flatter to the head & provide more volume quicker too!

Hi ladies. Going to be entirely honest here, ive had all types of hair extensions for the last 5 years, i mustve spent thousands. They really do ruin your hair. They thin out your ends so so much. You would be better getting a good set of clip ins x

Reactions: 3
Hi ladies. Going to be entirely honest here, ive had all types of hair extensions for the last 5 years, i mustve spent thousands. They really do ruin your hair. They thin out your ends so so much. You would be better getting a good set of clip ins x
I personally don’t agree with this and not sure how it makes sense either? Hair extensions such as nano or micro rings shouldn’t cause any damage whatsoever if you look after your hair and get them maintained regularly. All extensions are fitted at your root so how could they thin out the ends of your hair? I appreciate glue in extensions aren’t good for your hair but doesn’t speak for all extensions.

ive worn Easilocks extensions for a while now and wouldn’t be without them, they’re actually a telling sign of how much my hair still grows healthily as I have to get the rings moved up every 6/7 weeks due to regrowth. They’re so easy to wash, dry and tie up. I honestly couldn’t imagine not wearing them now! You have to spend a decent amount of money to get a good fitting and quality so keep that in mind :)

Agree.. I’ve had tips / tapes for over 4 years and my hairs in better condition..

Reactions: 2
I personally don’t agree with this and not sure how it makes sense either? Hair extensions such as nano or micro rings shouldn’t cause any damage whatsoever if you look after your hair and get them maintained regularly. All extensions are fitted at your root so how could they thin out the ends of your hair? I appreciate glue in extensions aren’t good for your hair but doesn’t speak for all extensions.

ive worn Easilocks extensions for a while now and wouldn’t be without them, they’re actually a telling sign of how much my hair still grows healthily as I have to get the rings moved up every 6/7 weeks due to regrowth. They’re so easy to wash, dry and tie up. I honestly couldn’t imagine not wearing them now! You have to spend a decent amount of money to get a good fitting and quality so keep that in mind :)
because in the long term they are damaging and do thin out your hair regardless of who fitted them. Ive paid upwards of £600 for mine.

because in the long term they are damaging and do thin out your hair regardless of who fitted them. Ive paid upwards of £600 for mine.
it’s not about who fitted them though, it’s what type you have and how you look after them and the quality of your hair to begin with. My hair texture and health is no different after having nano/micro rings to how it was before..

I have nano rings, my second time having them but with a better person fitting/maintaining them. Unless you want them long term I wouldn’t do nanos for just a wedding though.

This!,

Tapes lay flatter but micro rings are very small and hide well in the hair too. Tapes are alot quicker to fit which seems to suit my clients better alot of the time (half an hour) however it's just down to personal preference. Wouldn't recommend the fusion bonds personally I'm not a fan.

I’ve all ways had clip ins mainly because I couldn’t cope with the washing upkeep or sleeping in them.
You can get some utterly gorgeous ones I allways had remi hair. Not sure what’s out there now as it’s been a while. I think they were called American pride x

Also depends what kind of style you are after for your hair on your wedding day, and if you currently have thick/thin hair. Wouldn’t recommend tapes as much if you’re wanting an updo on your wedding day as they are harder to lie flat/neatly up in the opposite direction if you get what I mean.

I agree, I've had nano/micro rings for well over a year. I go every four weeks and have them refreshed and a brand new set changed every 6 months. My own hair is much better with them as they protect my own hair, it's thicker and stronger as I abuse it less because the extensions give the shape + thickness that I wish my own hair had. The ends are fine too - I'd definitely recommend them. I have a cut on my own hair every 4 weeks too + colour 2 or 3 times a year. Extensions were the best thing I've ever done !

It all boils down to your own hair, a good extensionist will advise you on what method/amount & thickness is best for your hair type.
With correct fitting i.e clean neat sections & correct distance from the scalp will ensure no tension or pulling on the natural hair.
Correct aftercare & regular maintenance is also a must.
Hair extensions do not damage your hair, a bad extensionist & poor aftercare do.

• Heart
What are people’s thoughts on good quality brands though? I don’t mind paying a premium but I absolutely hate any kind of moulting/shedding or tangling, does anyone have any recommendations?

I wear clip ins and have done for almost a decade now. My hair is long but it's fine and thin. I haven't been wearing the clip ins daily or during lock down at all for a while now and also since I'm not gong anywhere but because of that I can see how fine/thin my hair is and just how not good it looks. So I've kinda been thinking of bonds/rings..etc, I've had a little look but am bit confused on if they are made of metal? I have to have MRIs on a scheduled and also surprise basis so metal isn't an option. Can anyone advise on what they are made of? Oh and also suggestions :)