Hair Advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi I was hoping someone on here could offer me some advice about my hair.

It has recently started looking a lot thinner, particularly on the sides, and when I brush it more than a normal amount for me is coming out on the brush/comb.

I have naturally wavy/curly hair and I know your not meant to brush it dry but if I don’t I can’t style it because it gets too knotty to run my fingers through.

Thankyou in advance to (hopefully) an
advice :) x

How old are you if you don’t mind me asking? I only ask as with age hair can thin.

I have naturally straight hair so can’t advise on curls I’m afraid other than I have a friend with naturally really curly hair and she follows the “Curly Girl Method”

Hope some natural curly haired tattlers can help x

No that’s great, any advice is welcome! I’m 22 and I think it’s not as bad as it seems it’s just my own anxieties making it seem worse than it is. But it is definitely thinning and more is coming out when I brush and wash it.

Thankyou :) x

I have naturally curly hair and went through a period of feeling like I was losing loads. I remember looking up advice and one thing I still do is I don’t rub it dry with a towel, I wrap my wet hair in a cotton T-shirt and leave that on for 10 mins then I comb it through with a wet brush.

Have you been ill at all in the last 3 months as that can cause hair loss?

Reactions: 1
Combing your conditioner through in the shower and also combing again when the hair is wet. Try to refrain from using too much heat on your hair, natural air drying all the way.

Use The Nioxin 3 step system religiously you’ll notice a massive difference x
I’ve not heard of this but I’ll have a look and give it a try Thankyou! X

I have naturally curly hair and went through a period of feeling like I was losing loads. I remember looking up advice and one thing I still do is I don’t rub it dry with a towel, I wrap my wet hair in a cotton T-shirt and leave that on for 10 mins then I comb it through with a wet brush.

Have you been ill at all in the last 3 months as that can cause hair loss?
Yeah I’ve started drying my hair with a t-shirt and not a towel, and no I’ve not been ill for a long time (since before covid actually) but I think I may have an iron deficiency or thyroid issue which I’m going to try and call doctors for but getting through at the moment is a nightmare, as I’m sure you and others know!

Thankyou for the advice lovely :)

Combing your conditioner through in the shower and also combing again when the hair is wet. Try to refrain from using too much heat on your hair, natural air drying all the way.
I never dry my hair with heat anyway, I 99% of the time let it air dry unless I’m in a rush to be somewhere. I do tend to not brush my hair in the shower because it gets so knotty and I’m impatient aha. But I’ll try it anyway, thankyou :)

I had the same issue earlier this year, my hair started falling out everytime I brushed it or had a shower. I started on Viviscal supplements and they have been great. It does take a few months to really start working, but after 6 months of use I have practically zero hair loss, and a lot of regrowth (I started to see a difference at about 2/3 months with the hair loss). Plus my nails are stronger than they've ever been. Not cheap, but really worth it. There are loads of reviews online, they are what convinced me to orfer some.

I had the same issue earlier this year, my hair started falling out everytime I brushed it or had a shower. I started on Viviscal supplements and they have been great. It does take a few months to really start working, but after 6 months of use I have practically zero hair loss, and a lot of regrowth (I started to see a difference at about 2/3 months with the hair loss). Plus my nails are stronger than they've ever been. Not cheap, but really worth it. There are loads of reviews online, they are what convinced me to orfer some.
Thanks for the advice! I think I need to take some multivitamins for sure it’s just finding ones that would work best for me. I will read into those and see what there like, Thankyou :)

Imo I would make an appointment with an accredited Trichologist. The thing with hairloss is that it might just be something temprorary but if it's permanent you need to catch it as quick as you can.

My mum started losing hair and put off going to a GP by the time she went she was diagnosed with a form of alopecia and told that what she has lost will never grow back but they can stop her from losing more hair.

Imo I would make an appointment with an accredited Trichologist. The thing with hairloss is that it might just be something temprorary but if it's permanent you need to catch it as quick as you can.

My mum started losing hair and put off going to a GP by the time she went she was diagnosed with a form of alopecia and told that what she has lost will never grow back but they can stop her from losing more hair.
Oh that’s awful, I’m sorry she has gone/is going through that. I have a doctors appointment Monday for something unrelated so I may mention it too if they let me but they can be picky sometimes

i've just ordered a boucleme starter kit to try and manage my waves better so glad i found this thread! i found i was losing a lot of hair over summer (like three wet handfuls a week - mine is fine but a lot of it) put it down to it being tied up, went for my annual thyroid bloods and needed my meds upping!! i have two patches just past the crown that stay textured even without tlc so want to know what the rest of my head looks like when looked after. after watching a few youtube vids i scrunched conditioner in and rinsed out without raking, plopped for a bit and then dried ends with a diffuser and no product and my whole head is the waviest it's been! i think putting the focus on technique to encourage natural curl pattern and then using products to hold that shape seems to be the way forward for waves. hope everything goes well for you!!

• Heart
i've just ordered a boucleme starter kit to try and manage my waves better so glad i found this thread! i found i was losing a lot of hair over summer (like three wet handfuls a week - mine is fine but a lot of it) put it down to it being tied up, went for my annual thyroid bloods and needed my meds upping!! i have two patches just past the crown that stay textured even without tlc so want to know what the rest of my head looks like when looked after. after watching a few youtube vids i scrunched conditioner in and rinsed out without raking, plopped for a bit and then dried ends with a diffuser and no product and my whole head is the waviest it's been! i think putting the focus on technique to encourage natural curl pattern and then using products to hold that shape seems to be the way forward for waves. hope everything goes well for you!!
I definitely need my bloods testing and I have an upcoming doctors appointment so I may ask if I am able to have it as I know there has been a shortage and they stopped doing them recently. I hope everything improves for you, and I have invested in better shampoo and conditioner to see if that helps improve anything. I’ve also stopped wearing my hair in a high ponytail and started styling it in low hairstyles so it’s “down” as much as possible. Thankyou for the advice ☺