Grieving Guinea Pig Help!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a grieving guinea pig who lost her daughter recently, leaving her alone. She had barbered (pulled all the hair off her back) and I’m not sure what to do. She isn’t actually mine, I’m taking care of her for a friend who has had a change in circumstances.

She isn’t very sociable, she is quite skittish and there is a chance she is pregnant again so I don’t want to force her to be held. She does let me stroke her head and comes out for veg but that is it. I got things for her to chew on and she isn’t bothered with them. She simply eats, sleeps and obviously pulls her hair out.

I don’t want to get another, especially if she is about to have a litter, but I also don’t want her to keep pulling her hair out, she makes it so sore. I’m at a loss! 😔

Any advice would be great.
Thank you!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I'm afraid I haven't any advice for you, but I would just like to say how heart warming it is, to find so many animal lovers on Tattle. It is very touching, the concern you are showing for the guinea pig - they are sweet animals.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I have a grieving guinea pig who lost her daughter recently, leaving her alone. She had barbered (pulled all the hair off her back) and I’m not sure what to do. She isn’t actually mine, I’m taking care of her for a friend who has had a change in circumstances.

She isn’t very sociable, she is quite skittish and there is a chance she is pregnant again so I don’t want to force her to be held. She does let me stroke her head and comes out for veg but that is it. I got things for her to chew on and she isn’t bothered with them. She simply eats, sleeps and obviously pulls her hair out.

I don’t want to get another, especially if she is about to have a litter, but I also don’t want her to keep pulling her hair out, she makes it so sore. I’m at a loss! 😔

Any advice would be great.
Thank you!
1. Keep her indoors and don’t leave her outside alone
2. Could you find a soft teddy/blanket with her daughters scent on?
3. Monitor her weight as she is likely to not want to eat

Just make sure she is eating/drinking and offer comfort. If she gets any worse I would suggest contacting a vet to check on her! Poor baby 🥺

• Heart
I will see if I can find something. The only two soft toys I have are sentimental ones but I think I have some super soft PJ bottoms or similar. I’m willing to try anything to try and make her feel better.

• Heart
I will see if I can find something. The only two soft toys I have are sentimental ones but I think I have some super soft PJ bottoms or similar. I’m willing to try anything to try and make her feel better.
That sounds good! If you hold it for a while until its warm and has scent on then give it to her

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Can you get in touch with a guinea pig rescue place they will be able to give you some specific advice about your grieving pig X.

• Heart
Can you get in touch with a guinea pig rescue place they will be able to give you some specific advice about your grieving pig X.
I will take a look online and see if I can email some places. I don’t have access to a phone at the moment so can’t call 🤦🏼‍♀️ I haven’t asked on facebook pages because there are some crazy people on animal pages!

• Heart
poor little piggy is very depressed today and hiding although she hasn’t pulled any hair out. I’ve just ordered her a boredom breaker puzzle, a little salt lick and some more hay so she has plenty to burrow in. I’m going to see if I can get a pen or something so she has a bigger space to run around in. She has always been in my lounge/kitchen so she is nice and warm and I chat to her all the time so I’m trying my best and I hope it helps.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I think I'd take her to the vets for a check up and advice, you need to know if shes pregnant etc and she could be poorly. I'd talk to your friend and ask her if she will pay as its her pet or you could go halves or something.x

• Heart
I think I'd take her to the vets for a check up and advice, you need to know if shes pregnant etc and she could be poorly. I'd talk to your friend and ask her if she will pay as its her pet or you could go halves or something.x
I have mentioned to her owner about taking her to a vet and she said to give her a week so I’m going to do the best I can until then. I am on very little money due to leaving hospital not long ago and my benefits aren’t sorted so it’s just enough for food for the both of us and my internet right now. I don’t have a phone even to call and get advice from them. I know it’s not the best situation but she had to move back home and wasn’t allowed to take them with her so she kept them at mine whilst I was in hospital.

• Sad
That's not very kind or responsible of the owner to be honest, it sounds like you are doing your very best but as its their pet they should either pay for a vet if they are working or register for the PDSA and take it there if not. Its not right for it not to get medical attention. I'd hand it over to a rodent rescue place then at least it would be getting help.X

She had 6 babies this morning, none of them survived. I’ve moved her into the spare cage I have and monitoring her until my friend can take her to the vets. Then she will be rehomed to someone who has a companion for her. Thank you guys xx

• Sad
Reactions: 9
She had 6 babies this morning, none of them survived. I’ve moved her into the spare cage I have and monitoring her until my friend can take her to the vets. Then she will be rehomed to someone who has a companion for her. Thank you guys xx
God this is so sad 😞

• Sad
This is so sad but you sound so lovely and caring. I hope things get better for her ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 1
oh god i can't even imagine how sad it must be for you to see her this way, if it's this terrible just reading about it :(
our vets here are closed on weekends unless it's an emergency, but since you can't do it, i'd be happy to ring my vet on monday and ask him for some general advice if that would help? <3

• Heart
First things first.

Guinea pigs always have mites on them, they normally control them with grooming. In stressful situations the guinea stops grooming themselves and the mites kinda overwhelm them and becomes a vicious cycle. Chances are guinea will need some treatment for parasites (please do not buy off the internet - visit a vet)

If she has gotten pregnant your friend needs to sort out living arrangements before she goes back. Separate the boys and girl. A huge group of girls can live very harmoniously, but boys may fight unless they have been together since babies. Even then, if they can smell girls, they might fight. Boys can be safely castrated.

Housing is a real bugbear of mine. Please ensure they are housed suitably, stress can be caused by small housing. The minimum cage size requirements for 2 guineas is 27x41" (sorry, I appreciate you haven't asked, but I get very frustrated by petshops selling cages that are far too small and well meaning owners thinking that's ok).

Finally please weigh her daily. If she stops eating or pooing you must contact a vet. 24hours with no food can be too much fit many guinea pigs.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I've had piggys for years, I hope your piggy is doing OK they are really lovely little animals, unfortunately they are known as companionship animals an can an do sometimes die from lonelyness as their social needs are met from other piggys an not humans, I got two boys two years ago, sadly we lost one this year completly out the blue, he was eating an drinking fine but was losing weight, we had him at the vets within a short few days of realising his weight lose wasn't normal but sadly he didn't make it, it left us with the hard job of trying to rebond his brother as we had gotten them both when they were babies an from the same place as its recommended, we ended up getting two baby boys a few days later an we introduced them on neutral ground as you do an thankfully he took to them quite happily, we did have a back up cage in the event he didn't an were also happy to keep them as well if it didn't work but thankfully the introduction went well an on day 3 they were in the same cage, we gave it a good scrubbing to erase all scents so that it was fine to have all 3 in the cage an months layer all 3 are still happy, they two little ones are more energetic an bouncy than our older guy but I haven't had to separate them

This thread is old guys, piggy had to be PTS due to an infection caused by problems with the litter. This had apparently happened with a few sows covered by the same boar so he has since been castrated. Really sad, especially as I had gotten used to the company and then had empty cages.

• Sad