Greasy hair

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know what’s going on with my hair at the moment but it’s an absolute oil slick. Typically get greasy roots and drier ends but not too bothered about the ends as I can fix those easily.
Any good product advice please - what shampoos have worked their magic for you?!❤

Reactions: 1
The same 😔. Started about 5/6 years ago snd have to wash my hair every couple of days now. I just use Tressemme (is this even spelt right?!?)
Unfortunately hair change as you get older.

Its really annoying. Im trying not to wash my hair every day as it makes it worse but I cannot stand having hair that feels dirty!!

might sound mad but every now and then (maybe every 6 weeks) wash it in the green fairy liquid before your shampoo, then use a really good conditioning treatment - aussie 3 minute miracle etc. it really works!

Reactions: 2
Same. Two things have helped: a silicone head massager thing from Amazon and the OGX refreshing scalp tea tree & mint shampoo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CNKQX86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H4anEbMHQV50X

Oooooo this looks good, do you use the massager to massage the shampoo into the scalp? I was using kerastase greasy root, dry ends and it did nothing. I then just picked up an Elvive one but again, doesn't seem to help. I use a kerastase shampoo but I literally used a pea size right on the ends. Very annoying!!

Oooooo this looks good, do you use the massager to massage the shampoo into the scalp? I was using kerastase greasy root, dry ends and it did nothing. I then just picked up an Elvive one but again, doesn't seem to help. I use a kerastase shampoo but I literally used a pea size right on the ends. Very annoying!!
Yes, give your scalp a good old rub with the massager when you shampoo. It improved things immeasurably for me within a few days.

Also it’s boring but remember to wash your hairbrush with detergent (or something that cuts through grease) regularly, clean your straighteners/tongs, and change your pillowcase frequently until you have broken the cycle.

Yes, give your scalp a good old rub with the massager when you shampoo. It improved things immeasurably for me within a few days.

Also it’s boring but remember to wash your hairbrush with detergent (or something that cuts through grease) regularly, clean your straighteners/tongs, and change your pillowcase frequently until you have broken the cycle.
Thanks, deffo going to give this one a go. Change bed sheets once a week and I also alternate which side I use based on freshly washed and dirty hair haha! Might look into a different hair brush too. I use bristle on the ends but cant on the roots! Whish I had my mums hair, super thick and curly and she only washes It just to clean it, never ever ever gets remotely greasy!!

Have you tried a clarifying shampoo? It could be an over build of product that’s causing it to get greasy. Get a good clarifying shampoo which will remove any build up.

Reactions: 2
What do you wash your brushes with? I only use baby shampoo but am now thinking that might not be good enough to cut through the oil

might sound mad but every now and then (maybe every 6 weeks) wash it in the green fairy liquid before your shampoo, then use a really good conditioning treatment - aussie 3 minute miracle etc. it really works!
Here I was thinking I was the only one that does that. Fairy liquid on my roots every 2 week is the only thing that stops my hair getting clogged.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
If you read about chelating, there are also some YT videos, you can see what using dish soap is about. It's great for removing hard water buildup which usually causes greasy and weird textured hair.

Do you have hard water? Sometimes that can react badly with certain shampoos (especially if they have sulphates) and cause build up.

You can buy quite cheap shower filters on Ebay:

I also second a clarifying shampoo and just using it maybe once a week or if/when you feel you need to.

Do you have hard water? Sometimes that can react badly with certain shampoos (especially if they have sulphates) and cause build up.

You can buy quite cheap shower filters on Ebay:

I also second a clarifying shampoo and just using it maybe once a week or if/when you feel you need to.
Oooooo yes our water is very hard! Could you recommend a clarifying shampoo??

Oooooo yes our water is very hard! Could you recommend a clarifying shampoo??
Tresemme do one thats super cheap! I think its called 'deep cleaning' in a black with green bottle. The MorrocanOil one has really good reviews too.

I used to rinse my hair in water and apple cider vinegar mix - the scalp has a slightly acidid PH so it's important to keep it that way.
I wash my hair most of days, but my hair isn't greasy. It's just a habit.
I use Faith In Nature with lavender. A brilliant shampoo.

I use the tropic shampoo with the silicone massager. I think Tresemme makes hair greasy. I wash my hair sometimes twice a week, others three times a week

I also use the silicone hair brush someone else recommended. I now don’t use shampoo, my hairdresser recommended a product called New wash. It’s a hair cleanser and conditioner combined. No SLS or nasties in it.
It does take a while to cut through the greasy ness, probably 2 weeks. But since then my hair has been in such better condition.
It’s not cheap though £44 a bottle 😮 I was using Kerastase shampoo and conditioner before so works out a similar price although this product doesn’t last as long.