Graham Norton's "Holding" ITV

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else watch the first episode of this last Monday?
I'd been looking forward to it since the stellar cast was announced, and even more so when the trailer dropped: it looked to be full of laughs.
I've read the book (read and enjoyed all 3 of his books actually) and understand that films and TV adaptations are rarely totally faithful to the original text, but this...
I'm struggling tbh!
The characters are so far removed from those in the book - the three sisters in particular
Episode one wasn't funny.
A lot of the accents are ropy AF.
I'll watch again tonight but I'm disappointed so far.
Also surprised by the super positive press response - maybe I'm just wrong?!

Reactions: 1
I turned it off after thirty minutes it was like a weird Ballykissangel parody

Reactions: 3
I turned it off after thirty minutes it was like a weird Ballykissangel parody
That's so right. I watched it all as I love Graham but it felt like it was sponsored by the Irish tourist board. Some of the accents were horrific.

I liked PJ's character a bit more last night but the Charlene McKenna character is awful: I've always thought she was a quality actress but after hearing the attempt at a Cork accent and the inflections all over the place I'm not so sure šŸ˜
I think most of the show's problems could be solved by getting in a great dialect coach and being more true to the book.
Siobhan McSweeney is doing great work IMO but in fairness I think you could plonk her into something as bad as Fair City or Mrs Brown's Boys and she'd manage to make something of the role.
Pauline McLynn and Demi Isaac Oviawe seem to be the same in every role.
Where do I recognise Clinton Liberty (the young detective) from? TV ads maybe? I vaguely remember him being in Normal People and IMDB says he was in Smother but I just can't place him in it, yet he seems very familiar!

I'd be interested in hearing what the english make of the accents. ...I'm from Cork ..I would imagine it's a hard accent to imitate...west cork dialect has a life of it's own.

Reactions: 3
I loved it!

I felt so sad for PJ at the end ... I think what's-her-name was tempted to give it a go with him, but wanted to keep her marriage for the sake of the kids