Grace Beverley #7 Grace Bentley; committed to misunderstanding covid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am not saying that we should be okay with Grace not wanting to open dialogue when it comes to her business.

It is not okay in terms of a company publishing statements that are inaccurate or misinformation, misleading young consumers. This has legal ramifications.

I agree that in order to be successful in the sustainable and ethical avenue, transparency is key to maintaining loyal customers. This includes open dialogue about business decisions that are not always in line with the said journey. As a lot of you have pointed out, the decline in customers, bot followers, and disappointed reviews etc. are all indications that their customer base is declining. Customers are not satisfied with their products nor their information shared.

This is a major weakness in their company culture. Because, yes, company culture starts at the top by the CEO, and trickles down to influence how each individual in the company goes about their business.
The risk of bad company culture is low sales and bad publicity which will definitely impact their revenue.

I do appreciate you think my writing is partly poetic. I probably come across as that character in Mean Girls to which the line "She doesn't even go here!" is hurled her way.

I wrote that post to bring in a different angle of the human element involved from her POV. A reflection of why a person acts the way they act. The conversation of wrong doing has many layers. Not to justify what happened. But to gain better insight.

One can have all the money in the world but access to the right tools in one's mental toolbox can come at different times for everyone.

I believe there is value in being empathetic to her pain. Maybe there is few and far between on this thread that agree.
She still clearly struggles with the same thought pattern. Some people may say she has yes (wo)men around her, but to give it a different meaning - it may indicate that those close to her, are not helping encourage her to overcome an intrusive thought pattern that brings pain and anxiety.
I do get what ur saying, I really do. But at this point, I just have zero empathy for her. Any other person I probably would have empathy for, but this is someone who has lied repeatedly, exploited her customers, exploited her workers and has refused point blank for years to take on board any constructive criticism.
So with all due respect, duck her.
Graces real issue and the reason she gets so upset is because she still hasn’t figured out that once you monetize your platform and turn yourself into a business, your followers are no longer your friends. They become your customers and your potential customers, and if you sell them products that are crappy and lie to them about the ethics of your company, they will treat you exactly as they would any other business.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I will also say, Grace has an absurd amount of money. If she isn't already, she should be in therapy. (This isn't meant as a dig, I think everyone should go to therapy).
Totally agree with this! I recently invested some of my savings into therapy (a HUGE privilege) and it's the best thing I ever did and I wish more people had access to it with less stigma around it. I think Grace would have a lot to unpack in therapy if she isnt already.

I also thought this morning, it isn't success or wealth etc that I think people have the problem with when it comes to Grace as those aren't inherently bad things, it just really is her attitude about it and the constant half-truths and superiority complex that leads to the long jargon-y story rants.

I was comparing her to Molly Mae who I know not everyone loves (her IG Stories were on my feed this morning), but Molly has become hugely successful and rich very quickly for not doing very much (I know a social media presence, Youtube and Love Island are straining in other ways and Molly has consistently faced trolling from a lot of platforms and newspapers, but in the typical business/working sense her success was very sudden after being hot and funny on a Tv show) BUT you don't see her harping on about BoSs BaBe BiZnIz NuGgEtS all the time and trying to deny where her success came from and how lucky she is. I feel like even tho she's posting pics of her beautiful home and christian dior slippers etc she still comes off as likeable and relatable on some level in my opinion. Like I actually want to see all the fancy stuff she has and all the nice opportunities she gets (although the Italy food debacle was a bit silly of her to post) without the same "oh shut up!" feeling of rage i get with Grace.

Sorry if that's off topic, just thought about it this morning after seeing Molly's stories and realised it definitely isnt Grace's success itself that I resent or why many others find her posts distasteful and annoying. It's definitely the complete lack of self awareness and denial of being "just an influencer"

Edited for spelling/grammar lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 26
Totally agree with this! I recently invested some of my savings into therapy (a HUGE privilege) and it's the best thing I ever did and I wish more people had access to it with less stigma around it. I think Grace would have a lot to unpack in therapy if she isnt already.

I also thought this morning, it isn't success or wealth etc that I think people have the problem with when it comes to Grace as those aren't inherently bad things, it just really is her attitude about it and the constant half-truths and superiority complex that leads to the long jargon-y story rants.

I was comparing her to Molly Mae who I know not everyone loves (her IG Stories were on my feed this morning), but Molly has become hugely successful and rich very quickly for not doing very much (I know a social media presence, Youtube and Love Island are straining in other ways and Molly has consistently faced trolling from a lot of platforms and newspapers, but in the typical business/working sense her success was very sudden after being hot and funny on a Tv show) BUT you don't see her harping on about BoSs BaBe BiZnIz NuGgEtS all the time and trying to deny where her success came from and how lucky she is. I feel like even tho she's posting pics of her beautiful home and christian dior slippers etc she still comes off as likeable and relatable on some level in my opinion. Like I actually want to see all the fancy stuff she has and all the nice opportunities she gets (although the Italy food debacle was a bit silly of her to post) without the same "oh shut up!" feeling of rage i get with Grace.

Sorry if that's off topic, just thought about it this morning after seeing Molly's stories and realised it definitely isnt Grace's success itself that I resent or why many others find her posts distasteful and annoying. It's definitely the complete lack of self awareness and denial of being "just an influencer"

Edited for spelling/grammar lol
I completely agree with you on that one.

I think Molly comes across more likeable and relatable because she doesn't try and pit herself as better than anyone else. Yes she may have a huge flat/house decked out with designer gear and dior slippers and more handbags than I could ever dream of owning but she doesn't use that as a way to elevate herself.

Where as Grace uses her wealth to try and demonstrate that she is somehow better than your average person on the street.

I also find Grace tries to come across overly professional but wants to maintain that influencer lifestyle at the same time, which isn't feasible, she should focus on one or the other else no one will take her seriously. Whereas Molly is happy to admit that the influencer lifestyle is how she has all these designer items.

I just find them two very different types of influencer and like you I enjoy watching Molly on Instagram but with Grace I get this urge to just scream at her to stfu😬

Reactions: 21
When I mentioned the content creator debacle on that Instagram post, someone blocked me and continued saying to someone else that they shouldn’t be mean and call Grace privileged/treat her differently because she was rich?

It actually blows my mind that you can read that Grace has exploited the duck out of people, including women, ignore it/block the person saying it, and continue to go at someone else for calling Grace privileged? In what world is calling someone privileged/a liar worse than that person exploiting labour? Why are we riding so hard not only for people that are amongst the most fortunate in the world, but that exploit others?

Literally where has this mindset come from? dismissing criticism between women as “jealousy” is quite misogynistic imo, even though the people doing it seem to think they’re riding for the feminist cause. Like yeah, identify the scourge that is competition between women. But point-blank refusing to grasp that one woman could have an issue with another for a reason other than jealousy, like we have no emotional depth or capacity to be upset by anything other than one woman being better than us (which is what “jealous” communicates), is misogynistic. Like we can’t care about anything else other than we rank in this apparent hierarchy of women. Especially when this hierarchy is entrenched in notions of being sexier, more likeable and more successful. Like if we have a problem, we should just try to be sexier and more successful than grace.

I have found that accusations of insecurity (often disguised in the term “jealous”) are almost always thrown out in these situations too; as if self-esteem in women isn’t a hugely politicised space. IMO the affected concern for competition between women is often handled in a way that further perpetuates this competition; like, “don’t criticise me, and if you do, it’s because you’re insecure and jealous and you’re not as good as I am. If you have a problem with me, compete with me”. You know?

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Just tread the last 5 pages of the thread.... is Grace really moaning about social media? Then leave? Stay on your business Instagram. You claim your businesses are doing so well so why can’t you delete your actual Instagram? Oh wait it’s because you’re so fragile and you need constant validation from your yes men and minions.
wtf is her latest stories (I watched 2 and gave up) why is she speaking so slowly?! it is as if she is drunk

Reactions: 3
Literally where has this mindset come from? dismissing criticism between women as “jealousy” is quite misogynistic imo, even though the people doing it seem to think they’re riding for the feminist cause.
There seems to be a strand of ~ feminism now that apparently means letting women get away with bullshit because they’re women, and if you do call out a woman on her crap then you’re an anti feminist and you should just be kind and women must empower women!!!! I don’t like it at all.

Reactions: 33
Where as Grace uses her wealth to try and demonstrate that she is somehow better than your average person on the street.
100% this. Grace is successful on a very narrow definition of success - she has a lot of money, she has a nice house. Ok, great, good for you (non sarcastic). But is someone who in her mid 20s is incapable of seeing the value of any kind of constructive criticism really successful? Someone who has trodden on other people to make that money? Does nothing good for anyone else ever? I think she is financially successful yes, but I don’t think she is a nice or good person to be honest and in that sense she is very unsuccessful. I’m not jealous of the money. She can’t develop as a person because she’s so arrogant and self-absorbed and I will never be jealous of that.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
So I'm not a qualified psychiatrist but I am diagnosed with OCD. Making sure you are not doing anything wrong towards someone is quite an intense intrusive thought for me. Everyone, whether you have OCD or not, will experience these thoughts on different levels in different aspects of your life. If one doesn't have the right tools to work through these thoughts it can have a serious impact on your well-being when everyday you are faced with the trigger not knowing how to overcome it.

To divert a bit:
I watched Grace on YouTube and she often would say that her success was not done alone, she often would say how privileged she is and the most notable thing for me, was that she shared that no journey or person is perfect. That is something I really took from her because no way we can make perfect decisions all the time and it was great to hear because I struggled with the idea of being imperfect. And even then she would open up and say how she can't please everyone.

Some people say she never acknowledged the above. Yes she did. Not the the extent to what 3rd parties shared over the past year but principle stands she did acknowledge these points.

We don't know how many non-disclosure agreements she had to sign that could have prevented her from sharing more.

Back to my main point:
Before her companies were hyped, before she announced the big changes, I could sense Grace had an attitude shift towards social media as being one of more disadvantageous than advantageous. This was, as she has described in her recent updates, related to a small amount of people, already then, making extreme remarks rather than opening dialogue.

She as a human being,
studying fulltime,
contemplating her future career,
balancing social life with close friends and family, growing into adulthood,
getting through emotional pain of relationship break ups,
signing contracts with impacts to her future
and trying to maintain her online friendship with her followers,
had to try work through her intrusive thoughts
all related to a communication tool that became more and more destructive yet was meant to be inherently constructive.

At that point everything was still "okay", few people could see her pain in using social media. The pain being the struggle to balance the idea of pleasing everyone and not giving away too much of herself in the process.

The noticeable change could have happened in her final year final exams and assignments. When she was unable to please all stakeholders in her life continuously, who she normally could keep satisfied. Her anxiety may have reached extreme levels that put her brain in flight or freeze mode.

So it went from the extreme end of pleasing everyone to the other extreme end of stay true to herself which regrettably left no room to admit fault.

So we would see her on YouTube promoting her business and very little personal life being shared and people then started to get upset. I feel like this can be explained like a friendship where the one friend that shared everything with you just starting ignoring your texts but you would see little highlights on their status updates and feel confused to where things went wrong. Wondering why she was only doing videos to sell things, then bringing out products not in line with her values she shared previously. So without her explanation to say that she is emotionally unable to open any form of dialogue against her decisions, she just dismissed the comments because that was the only tool she kept in her toolbox to deal with the situation. And so it continued because maybe it worked for her for a while. To feel like she had a sense of control over her decision to please people.

But looking back and reflecting- this is SO understandable. One could say the wall was built with the strongest bricks in protect-emotional-well-being warehouse.

Imagine the painful process to knock down a wall like that. To be vulnerable to your own intrusive thoughts, along with other opinions (positive or negative) ringing in the back of her mind (or should I say ringing on her phone).

So going forward without the correct tools in your toolbox and trying to remain emotionally intact to carry on with the necessary everyday tasks to atleast please those close around you and authoritative figures would mean an inability to take constructive criticism due to a build up of emotions on the other side of the wall and a fear of having a fleeting thought that you are not in control of your own actions because the idea of pleasing someone else is so hurtful because the next second goes by with continuously another disappointed stakeholder. And this could be exponential since the digital world is infinite.

And now as you hear the pain coming through her voice - those extreme remarks are still made to justify the inflexible idea of who Grace is in your mind.

The struggle is real in our individual complex brains.
User190 rebranded 🤣🤣🤣 hi bezos

• Haha
Reactions: 19
There seems to be a strand of ~ feminism now that apparently means letting women get away with bullshit because they’re women, and if you do call out a woman on her crap then you’re an anti feminist and you should just be kind and women must empower women!!!! I don’t like it at all.
exactly, I HATE with a passion people saying "women should support women"etc etc, you would NEVER hear the same about men. I have noticed it has become particularly bad since people started using (my equally hated phrase) "boss babe"

• Heart
Reactions: 34
exactly, I HATE with a passion people saying "women should support women"etc etc, you would NEVER hear the same about men. I have noticed it has become particularly bad since people started using (my equally hated phrase) "boss babe"
It’s especially incoherent when applied to someone like Grace, because she has exploited what looked like all female influencers to push her products and then not paid them etc? So we can’t criticise her because she’s a woman but she’s exploited other women? Make it make sense !

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This quote from the Sali Hughes thread sums up the faux feminism quite well:

My feeling (and I'm repeating myself from earlier threads so apologies for being a broken record) is that if we were men talking about footballers in the same way, no one would give a tit. This is only an issue as it's women discussing another woman negatively. Which is unsisterly and mean. Whereas slagging off Andy Carroll's performance on Saturday is just dissecting the stuff you're interested in.

Us ladies should know our place and that's to buy all the products we're told to, to look pretty and shut up if any of them don't meet our expectations.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
100% this. Grace is successful on a very narrow definition of success - she has a lot of money, she has a nice house. Ok, great, good for you (non sarcastic). But is someone who in her mid 20s is incapable of seeing the value of any kind of constructive criticism really successful? Someone who has trodden on other people to make that money? Does nothing good for anyone else ever? I think she is financially successful yes, but I don’t think she is a nice or good person to be honest and in that sense she is very unsuccessful. I’m not jealous of the money. She can’t develop as a person because she’s so arrogant and self-absorbed and I will never be jealous of that.
Exactly this.

I'm not at all jealous of her, yes she may have money in the bank, a big house and designer items but she isn't a nice person and is incredibly arrogant.

She may be successful in business but in relationships and general life she is far from it because of her attitude

Reactions: 14
Exactly this.

I'm not at all jealous of her, yes she may have money in the bank, a big house and designer items but she isn't a nice person and is incredibly arrogant.

She may be successful in business but in relationships and general life she is far from it because of her attitude
Totally agree, I think this is clear in the fact that she seems to have very few (none?) lonf term friends, even doesn't seem to have a close relationship with her sister who is in a similar work field?

Reactions: 12
Exactly this.

I agree. Although being rich is a huge bonus and I think we all want it. I’m happy that I have normal and happy relationships. Her relationships with her friends seems very toxic and her relationships with men don’t seem to last. I don’t need nor want my friends sending me cards and flowers for buying a car or writing a book, it’s incredibly weird and it screams to me that grace demands this sort of attention from her ‘friends’. I have honestly in my 23 years of life never seen anyone else’s friends suck up to them THAT much.

Reactions: 26
I agree. Although being rich is a huge bonus and I think we all want it. I’m happy that I have normal and happy relationships. Her relationships with her friends seems very toxic and her relationships with men don’t seem to last. I don’t need nor want my friends sending me cards and flowers for buying a car or writing a book, it’s incredibly weird and it screams to me that grace demands this sort of attention from her ‘friends’. I have honestly in my 23 years of life never seen anyone else’s friends suck up to them THAT much.
half the time it is not even friends either, it is her (badly) paid employees,

Reactions: 7
It’s especially incoherent when applied to someone like Grace, because she has exploited what looked like all female influencers to push her products and then not paid them etc? So we can’t criticise her because she’s a woman but she’s exploited other women? Make it make sense !
Exactly, like there’s no rhetorical consistency. Literally every single girl I’ve explained Grace’s background to on that post blocked me. In one of the comments I said, “I think it’s strange that someone can be presented with the fact that Grace has exploited lots of young women, block the person presenting them with that fact and continue to have a go at someone else for calling Grace privileged, as if calling a privileged person privileged is worse than exploiting someone” and the second girl just straight up blocked me without engaging lol? These girls are acting like grace is their mate when she’s not; the micro-influencers had exactly the same relationship with grace when they were roped into TALA/Shreddy content creation and grace ended up exploiting them, so...

I get it if the girls cba to argue but one of them kept trying to get this other girl to admit that she was jealous after ignoring the tea on Grace lol. To me it seems like the only time they want to argue is if they can call someone else jealous or insecure, which as we established before is rooted in misogyny, dressed up as girlbosspower! It’s fucked, like why is it worth your energy to call a stranger jealous/take shots at their self-worth but not to stop someone from profiting from exploitation? Sometimes I wonder whether this is why they get particularly annoyed/spooked by faceless accounts - because they can’t tell what our lives are like behind the screen, there’s nothing they can see as mundane/less glam than Grace/themselves, corner us with and hound us with accusations that we’re jealous until we relent.

I loathe to think what their university classes are like if they take a subject like law or English or history or politics if this is how they handle debate.

It seems like riding for one of the most advantaged people IN THE WORLD who exploits others > justice, sniping at other women’s self-worth > engaging in debate.

Also it’s weird that her friends idolise her so much. It would be different if she was sharing “I love you 💓” posts from her mates but they’re always like one-way 10+ line long letters of adoration lol

Reactions: 15
Also it’s weird that her friends idolise her so much. It would be different if she was sharing “I love you 💓” posts from her mates but they’re always like one-way 10+ line long letters of adoration lol
God yes this. They're basically just adoring fan girls, it's not equal friendships. I would hate it so much.

Reactions: 11
Haven’t posted on here before just been reading. But just wanted to say I used to follow grace and bought from tala, watched her YouTube videos at uni etc. I think her downfall really has when she started trying to talk about business rather than just getting on with it

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.