Grace Beverley #11 I’m a bestseller-to-be, don’t worry - always keep my roommates on cctv

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Literally the reason business owners don’t want to put wages on job ads is to keep them as low as possible, even the giRL BoSs GReZs of the world.

Pay can either plucked arbitrarily out of a hat at interview, or worse still, the new employee is asked to name their price, which is then negotiated. There’s plenty of evidence out there that shows that people who are BAME or pretty much any minority basically, as well as younger people, people from a lower socio-economic background, and women, tend to put a lower value on their salary expectations.

Privileged people, who don’t rely on their pay packet to make ends meet, are more likely to take a chance on a “competitive” salary than someone who needs a certain amount of money to pay for their everyday needs, especially people (usually women) who have caring responsibilities. They’re not going to spend time and effort on applying and interviewing for something that they can’t be sure will be enough to live on (particularly true for more entry-level jobs). This means you’re more likely to attract privileged candidates in the first place; not exactly helpful for increasing diversity and building the best team possible.

If they’re not even advertising a range, it also suggests to me that they haven’t got a proper pay and progression structure in place, meaning they have poor processes for developing staff and supporting them to progress in their career.

It all creates a culture where you don’t talk about what you’re earning, especially if your workforce is not unionised, meaning there’s no benchmark to judge if you’re being paid fairly and no one wants to talk about it or can look at other jobs ads with the company to understand where they fit. Everyone is kept in the dark. Not advertising salaries directly contributes to increasing the size of gender and ethnicity pay gaps and increased inequality, which is exacerbated if there’s a culture of pay never being talked about amongst colleagues. There’s more about this here - https://showthesalary.com/. It’s fucked.
This was really insightful thank you for explaining. I always knew companies should disclose pay etc, but never understood it at this level, but I see how important it really is

• Heart
Reactions: 15
With regards to pay, she literally had people working at Tala without contracts so she could pay ridiculously low wages and get away with it

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
This was really insightful thank you for explaining. I always knew companies should disclose pay etc, but never understood it at this level, but I see how important it really is
Ah you’re welcome 😊 This sort of thing really gets on my tits, and I could go on for pages tbh about it! I’ve been on the receiving end of this tit so I’m passionate, now I’m the person doing the hiring, about making sure others don’t have that same demoralising experience.

It’s especially insidious when it comes to businesses like Tala and Shreddy, because their target audience for staff, as we’ve seen from their current workforce, is literally one of the demographics of person who is most likely to undervalue themselves wage-wise, aka young women. I also think Girl Boss Hustle Culture contributes to lower wages, because it sells this vision that you can start with nothing, you should work for free, and sheer hard work along is the only way to hustle yourself to the top. And we know that’s not true, despite what Instagram tells you.

On the whole, the Tala/Shreddy staff we’ve seen also seem to be otherwise privileged, so are happy to live on a lower wage which again, artificially drives down the top-end limits for negotiation from the person doing the hiring. There’s so much that intersects to keep wages (and no doubt other t&cs) crappy.

All rage-inducing tbh.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I wonder what type of person she would have been if she hadn't got started in Youtube/Instagram. Like what type of career she would have pursued, what type of person she would be, what her values would be like :unsure: I dont like the way influencer culture inflates people's egos, its quite sad.

Reactions: 16
I wonder what type of person she would have been if she hadn't got started in Youtube/Instagram. Like what type of career she would have pursued, what type of person she would be, what her values would be like :unsure: I dont like the way influencer culture inflates people's egos, its quite sad.
A few years ago when I was watching her I'm pretty sure was planning on going down the classic rich kid Oxford route of applying for a grad scheme in banking/finance/consultancy (think Goldman Sachs, PWC, Deloitte, etc). I think her values have pretty much stayed the same but her being an influencer has magnified and exposed the worst aspects. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone, but a lot the type of people who go into that banking/consultancy world have their eye on only one thing (money) and are always thinking about how they can get ahead at the expense of friends, family, etc. At least, based on what I saw from my ex and his friends/colleagues.

Reactions: 18
With regards to pay, she literally had people working at Tala without contracts so she could pay ridiculously low wages and get away with it

I work in publishing and this happens a lot- my first company literally said to me "there's hundreds of people who would do this job for free so don't complain" when they were paying me minimum wage. I imagine she's of the same idea- you should be so grateful to work at such a cool and wonderful place you shouldn't need ACTUAL MONEY.

Reactions: 11
A few years ago when I was watching her I'm pretty sure was planning on going down the classic rich kid Oxford route of applying for a grad scheme in banking/finance/consultancy (think Goldman Sachs, PWC, Deloitte, etc). I think her values have pretty much stayed the same but her being an influencer has magnified and exposed the worst aspects. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone, but a lot the type of people who go into that banking/consultancy world have their eye on only one thing (money) and are always thinking about how they can get ahead at the expense of friends, family, etc. At least, based on what I saw from my ex and his friends/colleagues.
yeah, in her ‘how I got into Oxford’ video she pretty much says it doesn’t matter that she’s doing a music degree because having a degree from Oxford means she can go into finance or whatever business thing she wants.

She’s clearly been raised like every other wealthy private school kid from London. Her oldest sister has a job at the V&A where her mum is the curator lol ffs, I love how she insists her family don’t help each other out when that clearly isn’t the case. Maybe her parents didn’t directly invest in her company, but it says a lot that she doesn’t view her upbringing as a reason for her success.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
I work in publishing and this happens a lot- my first company literally said to me "there's hundreds of people who would do this job for free so don't complain" when they were paying me minimum wage. I imagine she's of the same idea- you should be so grateful to work at such a cool and wonderful place you shouldn't need ACTUAL MONEY.
When I applied for my job straight out of uni and they asked me my salary expectations when they had pretty much decided to offer me the job I (and this is the same with everyone I've spoken to) felt like you had to go for the lowest realistic salary because you know you're a graduate with no experience and you can't exactly walk in and ask for a high salary, when really the salary that I was scared to ask for was the salary that I should've been paid for that job 🤷‍♀️ There are plenty of companies on LinkedIn that list the salary amount and are transparent about it, and it made me realise how underpaid I was being but recruiters just know that young people especially or people from less privileged backgrounds who need the job aren't going to walk into a job interview and demand an actually well paid salary for an entry level job when there's a risk that the recruiter will just turn around and deny them the job offer because of unrealistic salary expectations (even though it's what they should actually be paid, they just want to get away with paying people as little as possible)

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Yep, this is exactly what Grace has done to her team. She literally guilted people on the tala team into taking less than minimum wage, it’s just so unethical, if you don’t want to pay your employees a fair and legal wage (or claim that you can’t afford to) then you shouldn’t bleeping own a business

Reactions: 12
"Tall"? How tall?
Then she has her dog and a text box in the way so you can't even see the bottom of the trousers.

But from what you can see look a little short on that girl?..
Yeah they look short and they’re literally not flared?? They’re like boot cut? Looks like a pair of tracksuit bottoms my mum would have worn around the house in the 00s, bet she’s charging about 50 quid for them too 🤣🤢

Reactions: 13
On the topic of flared trousers a la Grace’s tit version - Does anyone have recommendations for some?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.