Gofundme for Christmas and holiday

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's been two families in the news lately, one was a dad of five raising money for Christmas as they had another baby and then his work hours were reduced:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-targeted-scammers-posing-ask-donations.html

Another was a guy fundraising for a holiday because he felt if people on benefits were going on holiday then he should too. :rolleyes:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-targeted-scammers-posing-ask-donations.html

You'd think people would learn from other cases of fundraising *cough*Wilkes*cough*. I'm all for people doing it to pay for medical bills (I think this mostly happens in the States), funerals if there's an unexpected/sudden death, so a dying person could do something on their bucket list and for actual charitable causes, but this is just stupid. I definitely think these fundraising sites need better guidelines for these things.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I've seen one where a girl set up a go fundme to buy a car. I never pay into go fund me's I'd rather give the cash directly to cut out the extortionate fees.

Did you see the 400k gofund me scam - The drug addict gave his last 20 dollars to a stranger for petrol - I didn't belive that story from the start. - All 3 of them have turned on eachother!

Reactions: 6
Wow I lost track over the gofundme homeless man drama. I stopped reading it when it was saying the couple refused to hand over the money because the man was going throw it all into drugs and alcohol. End up it was all a scam

The couple — Mark D'Amico, 39, and Kate McClure, 28 — and homeless man Johnny Bobbitt Jr., 35, were charged with second-degree theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception for cooking up a ploy to dupe people out of their donations, authorities said. If found guilty, they could serve up to five to 10 years in prison.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...d-story-gofundme-fundraiser-complaint-n936511

Reactions: 3
You have to admire the sheer cheek of them I suppose. Who is gullible enough to donate though?
Anyone remember the baby Dax fiasco where it was misrepresented that they needed money for medical bills and accommodation?
Turns out they had insurance which covered it and were staying in Ronald McDonald house in New York.
Then it was needed for laundry (wth- plus they have laundry facilities at RM house),
Then it was for nursery items.
I think they gained about 30k.

• Angry
Reactions: 5
Wow we should all team up and set a Gofundme too! Let's see, is everyone up for a round the world trip? ;)

I don't get the gofundme for Christmas presents either. Basically presents, air tickets, holidays are not necessities, like it or not.

Do I like nice things too? Of course, most of us do.

Reactions: 4
I found it galling that the guy who was begging for Xmas presents for his kids said that himself and his wife will make a point of donating every month to gofundme causes in the new year, I just thought that if he can afford to do that then he can certainly afford to save for Xmas himself.

I think his father told the press that he felt ashamed that his son did this, he said that he'd helped him out last year and got into debt over it so couldn't do it this year, but would've tried rather than having him begging for money online.

I don't know why he'd need 2k for Xmas presents for his kids anyway, also if they are struggling then why on earth have they had another baby? Anyway they should learn to budget better and live within their means, they also need to tell their kids "No" once in a while if they ask for expensive gifts.

He said he'd never do another gofundme again, so I guess it'll be back to scrounging from his family next year, although they shouldn't indulge him either by getting into debt themselves because he went begging online this year only because his family couldn't afford to give him free cash for Xmas yet again.

Reactions: 4
I often wonder how did people payed for funerals before gofundme. I read a article a few years back about a couple in the USA who lost their child to leukemia. The funeral gofundme reached 30 grand (in dollars) yet the funeral itself was very basic. They'd only ever had home based holidays before however within the space of six months following the death they went on a carribean cruise.

I often wonder how did people payed for funerals before gofundme. I read a article a few years back about a couple in the USA who lost their child to leukemia. The funeral gofundme reached 30 grand (in dollars) yet the funeral itself was very basic. They'd only ever had home based holidays before however within the space of six months following the death they went on a carribean cruise.
* Paid, not payed lol

• Wow
Reactions: 2
In a lot of cases it’s just pure greed , it’s easy money for doing nothing

Reactions: 1
Someone from another forum I used to go on once started a Go Fund Me page to raise money for a rental deposit so she and her husband and kids could move out of her parents' home. Some people truly seem to think they have a right to have their whole lives funded by others. It's staggering!

Go Fund Me pages for Christmas presents and holidays are beyond cheeky. I find the ones asking for money for a 'charity fundraising holiday' are cheeky enough but those ones are beyond the pale!

I know of a couple who started a go fund me for their disabled daughter

the thing is-she’s not disabled-she was a few months late walking but that was about it (all mine where the same-one of mine didn’t walk til he was almost 3-I didn’t walk round with my begging bowl)

they claimed they ‘needed’ equipment for her and anything left over would go on a holiday for the family

we had the begging emails,messages on social media,in the street-my partner was hounded at work-this list just went on

the equipment was a baby Walker-(max £50) that she was already too big for-and the holiday?

they’d got married a few weeks before-and wanted a 5* honeymoon-but didn’t have the funds-a few weeks into launching this gofundme the husband admitted to my partner that she wouldn’t have gone with them-she would have been left with granny while they partied

not one penny was raised-and they where outraged and disgusted about it

In fact they refuse to speak to me now as I pointed out I earn my own money,and If I want something I damn we’ll save up for it-I refuse to give to begging causes like theirs

they got snotty as they paid for my place at their crappy wedding-that I really didn’t want to go to in the first place-to eat stale food,just stand around doing nothing but drink over priced,watered down drinks and neither spoke to us (in fact the only entertainment was when the bride punched the groom)

they told me that by paying for the ‘family’ holiday would pay them back for what they’d spent on my invite-I told them where to go!

The sense of entitlement some people have completely astounds me. There have been times in my younger life when I didn't have two pennies to scratch together due to family breakdown, I never once asked people to help me for buy food let alone a holiday or Christmas presents for my children. Instead I worked flaming hard to build the successful life I have now. By all means if you desperately need it then ask for help buying necessities, there is no shame in that but a holiday? Sort that out yourself sunshine

Reactions: 1
One I know of its Jack Towers (used to have his own thread before he disappeared). Supposedly, someone set it up for him for skin removal surgery. He raised over £40K, had the surgery on the cheap (looked awful) and then spunked the rest. He then vanished. He was reported a few times but GoFund me said as long as he spent some of the money on the intended purpose there is nothing he can do.

Baring in mind he lived with mum and dad and worked, could have easily saved as it was his own fault he got to the size he did.

The people who donated to this scrounger in the daily mail article should have first asked how much him and his partner spend on TV package, alcohol, cigarettes, phone bills etc. There are so many people who don't budget and spend their money on expensive sky TV, I phones etc which they could save money on by getting a cheaper deal rather than beg for money from strangers