Giving cats liquid medicine.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Afternoon Tattlers, looking for advice.

My girl cat had been diagnosed with a thyroid issue and needs medication twice a day orally with a syringe, it can’t go in food,😢.

I’ve watched a very nice vet online with his very easy compliant cat but my girl is the polar opposite and is having none of it, I’m already dreading tonight’s dose.

Has anyone got tips on how to administer it without her being stressed out and me not getting my arms ripped to shreds, please help me😂😂😂.
I’m going to Pets at Home later to stock up on treats .

Hiya, I recommend getting it done as quick as possible so as to not stress her out too much. To avoid getting scratched to bits, get a big towel and wrap her up in it so she can't get her claws into you! Also if you touch her nose it's suppose to make cats swallow, so that might be useful in case she would of just spit out the medicine.
LOL good thinking with the treats!!!

Hiya, I recommend getting it done as quick as possible so as to not stress her out too much. To avoid getting scratched to bits, get a big towel and wrap her up in it so she can't get her claws into you! Also if you touch her nose it's suppose to make cats swallow, so that might be useful in case she would of just spit out the medicine.
LOL good thinking with the treats!!!
Thanks for the nose tip 😚, she’s not cuddly or a lap sitter like her brother and since this morning’s dose she’s actually ignoring and walking away from me 😂😢( don’t know whether to laugh or cry). I’ll do the towel thing and see how it goes , thanks again 😊

Reactions: 1
Good luck if your girl is anything like mine was I feel for you.

I second the towel tip. If you stroke their throat too that helps them swallow. It’s now i get my girl to take her worming tablets. Hope it goes ok.

Good luck if your girl is anything like mine was I feel for you.
Well 😁 I stocked up on treats and catnip beforehand then at medicine time one of my children held her (wearing gloves) , my Husband tried holding her front paws and I swooped in while she yowled. She got lovely treats after so I’m hoping she’ll soon accept her fate willingly, no bleeping chance

It’s nothing like the videos on youtube with those lovely docile cats 😂😂 and the thought of having to do this when I’m back at work in September is a bit of a knee trembler 😅.
Thanks everyone , cats eh, who’d have ‘em!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I second the towel tip. If you stroke their throat too that helps them swallow. It’s now i get my girl to take her worming tablets. Hope it goes ok.
yes this is what I was told also, and it really helped as the downward stroke on her throat made her swallow. Good luck!
Edit- sorry just saw you managed to do it! Bloody cats!

• Heart
I am getting proper death stares off her right now, I’m on her tit list.

Pray for me😅😅.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I am getting proper death stares off her right now, I’m on her tit list.

Pray for me😅😅.
Be alert very alert she is just biding her time. Don’t turn your back on her and wear wellingtons preferably waders for now and the foreseeable future 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
On a serious note, can anyone tell me if she’ll show signs of feeling better after a couple of doses?

She’s 15 and has never been ill before.

Afternoon Tattlers, looking for advice.

My girl cat had been diagnosed with a thyroid issue and needs medication twice a day orally with a syringe, it can’t go in food,😢.

I’ve watched a very nice vet online with his very easy compliant cat but my girl is the polar opposite and is having none of it, I’m already dreading tonight’s dose.

Has anyone got tips on how to administer it without her being stressed out and me not getting my arms ripped to shreds, please help me😂😂😂.
I’m going to Pets at Home later to stock up on treats .
This treatment is also available in gel form which you apply to the cat's ear flaps, if you are struggling with an elderly cat could you ask your vet for this instead? I have two broken knuckles from trying to treat a crazy (feral) cat so be careful!

This treatment is also available in gel form which you apply to the cat's ear flaps, if you are struggling with an elderly cat could you ask your vet for this instead? I have two broken knuckles from trying to treat a crazy (feral) cat so be careful!
Hi, this is good to know and I’ll bear it in mind ,thanks😚.

I did manage to get it into her mouth single handedly this morning so I’m hoping she’s realised it’s not so bad but I’m not getting cocky yet😁.

Reactions: 3
More advice needed, help!🧐

She’s the polar opposite today and not demanding or eating anything in their bowls ,apart from the treats I’ve given her after the medicine, and she’s vomited approx 4 hours after each dose.

I will phone the practice tomorrow but has anyone had this medicine (thyronorm) with their cat?