Geri Halliwell

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ffs why was her leaving always bigged up like it was John Lennon leaving the Beatles or some other megastar! They had only been in the charts for 2 yrs at that point and had 2 albums. Think she was taking her cue from Robbie going awol from Take That with a mix of TT’s 1996 goodbye press conference. Over inflated ego.
It was huge news at the time. They might have only been around for 2 years here but they were EVERYWHERE at the time. Weren’t the best singers or dancers but spice girls really did achieve a lot in their day

Reactions: 13
It was huge news at the time. They might have only been around for 2 years here but they were EVERYWHERE at the time. Weren’t the best singers or dancers but spice girls really did achieve a lot in their day
Absolutely, like them or not, the Spice Girls were possibly the biggest thing since the Beatles, they had a film, a computer game, the lot!

Reactions: 15
They were 1D big without social media and when single charts were seriously competitive. Can feel myself getting nostalgic now

Reactions: 16
This clip just captures how big they were, promoting their movie at the Cannes Film festival of all places, to screaming fans. It’s also a reminder of how much fun they were at the time, Meb B shouting, “This is Barry NORMAN!”

Edited to add, I’ve started a Spice Girls thread, zigazigah this way 👇🏻

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Yeah I know they were big (I was 15 at the time Geri left) but I honestly didn’t get the hype! Maybe it was my parents’ influence as they always slagged them off but nobody I knew admitted to liking them- we were into bands like Space, Blur, Oasis, R&B groups and all the dancy, clubby tracks that were out that time, oh and All Saints as it was more credible to be a fan of them. We actually used to piss ourselves when they’d dare to say it’s like Beatlemania😂

Reactions: 5
Yeah I know they were big (I was 15 at the time Geri left) but I honestly didn’t get the hype! Maybe it was my parents’ influence as they always slagged them off but nobody I knew admitted to liking them- we were into bands like Space, Blur, Oasis, R&B groups and all the dancy, clubby tracks that were out that time, oh and All Saints as it was more credible to be a fan of them. We actually used to piss ourselves when they’d dare to say it’s like Beatlemania😂
I’m a metal and punk fan but I have to admit I loved the Spice Girls.

Reactions: 11
The Girl Power thing was a load of shite though, they were a manufactured band put together by blokes. Geri is one of the least powerful women in pop, just a needy woman riddled with obsessions and addictions, who jettisoned the whole girl power schtick when Christian came into view. She elbowed another woman out of the way to play Stepford Wife quick sticks.. Posh hangs on tight to Becks, despite rumours of his flings, doing her odd poses and jerky rehearsed walking when she thinks a camera is around. Mel B has had a series of unsuitable relationships with men, culminating in one where she was battered. Only Emma B and Mel C seem sorted.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
The Spice Girls were definitely not full on feminists, and I think back in the 90s some people even thought they set back feminism, with things like Geri saying Margaret Thatcher was the original Spice Girl 😬

But I don’t think it’s fair to judge them on their relationships. Especially Mel B, it’s heartbreaking what she’s been through.
It’s not her fault the men she’s been in a relationship with are like that. The work she’s doing with Women’s Aid is so important. Whatever you think of her, it can’t be easy for her to talk about her experiences, but she’s using her fame to highlight issues so many women through and aren’t able to speak out about.

Sorry for the rant, it’s just that sadly, bad relationships (to put it lightly) can literally happen to anyone. It doesn’t make you less of a strong woman, the blame should always lie with the abusers.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
Yes, that was badly put by me. I don’t blame Mel B for the terrible stuff her abuser did. She was the victim for sure, I didn’t mean to victim blame. It wasn’t just that one I was referring to, it was the Eddie Murphy, the three kids by three different dads, the court cases. She doesn’t strike me that she is somebody with her tit together, although she seems more settled now, perhaps age and life experience has made her wiser.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Geri has put a post on Instagram to wish her step-daughter a happy birthday.

Firstly, I don’t think it’s right that she is posting photos of her step-daughter for everyone to see when you consider that she set out to split up that little girls family

Secondly, she has signed it with their names and put “Christian” instead of Dad?!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Ffs how impersonal
It’s like it makes her mad that he has a child that isn’t hers. Despite her attempts to come across as whiter than white recently, I think she’s a very spiteful person.

Reactions: 16

Firstly, I don’t think it’s right that she is posting photos of her step-daughter for everyone to see when you consider that she set out to split up that little girls family

Secondly, she has signed it with their names and put “Christian” instead of Dad?!
On the first bit: I think we need to be careful on that one without knowing the dynamics of that family. It may well be possible that she is accepted as a stepmom by the mother, regardless what she did.

The Christian bit though...man, even unintentionally this is so terribly thoughtless.

Reactions: 7
Wow. That's some post.

I feel very sorry for Olivia's Mum having to cope with Geri in her life...............

Reactions: 13
On the first bit: I think we need to be careful on that one without knowing the dynamics of that family. It may well be possible that she is accepted as a stepmom by the mother, regardless what she did.

The Christian bit though...man, even unintentionally this is so terribly thoughtless.
If she hadn’t put “Christian” then maybe. But she did and so it’s pretty clear that she’s being snide.

Reactions: 8
The Spice Girls were definitely not full on feminists, and I think back in the 90s some people even thought they set back feminism, with things like Geri saying Margaret Thatcher was the original Spice Girl 😬

But I don’t think it’s fair to judge them on their relationships. Especially Mel B, it’s heartbreaking what she’s been through.
It’s not her fault the men she’s been in a relationship with are like that. The work she’s doing with Women’s Aid is so important. Whatever you think of her, it can’t be easy for her to talk about her experiences, but she’s using her fame to highlight issues so many women through and aren’t able to speak out about.

Sorry for the rant, it’s just that sadly, bad relationships (to put it lightly) can literally happen to anyone. It doesn’t make you less of a strong woman, the blame should always lie with the abusers.
yeah I don't think so either, but even using the term feminism was pretty unheard of then (in that kind of industry i mean). If you compare them to groups like Girls Aloud or Little Mix the difference is almost shocking, girl groups today seem so much more polished and boring imo.
Anyone else love the film? I saw it a few months ago and had forgotten how ridiculous yet hilarious it was :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 3

All a bit strange isn't it

Reactions: 3
Why is she suddenly started being known as Geri Halliwell-Horner? I thought that she'd taken her husband's name and dumped her stage/birth name?

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.