Weight Loss advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would recommend follow James Smith PT on social media. He can be quite blunt but he makes so much sense re weight loss. His general motto is calorie deficit (no weird crazy restrictive diets!), move more & Eat less. He simplifies it really well. He has a calorie calculator on his website if you want to work out how many calories you should be aiming for for weight loss/muscle gain. I generally aim for 10,000 steps a day minimum, high protein diet and lots of water x
Thanks I’ll go and look him up!

Does drinking loads of water actually help weight loss or do people suggest it as it fills you up? Curious because it’s always mentioned (I mean, I know drinking water is good for you, just wondered the correlation between that and dieting).
I’m starting today! I’ve done loads of reading about and I’m going for calorie deficit and seeing if i can finally tackle my awful portion control. I’m also going to try some exercise. 😱
Water doesn’t cause weight or fat loss. The only thing that does is a calorie deficit. Water does stop cravings though, if you are properly hydrated you don’t feel as hungry. I sleep better when I drink lots, which in turn means I’m less tired which means I don’t have god awful sugar cravings.

I’ve lost 13lbs since 3rd June and in that time I’ve had a Pizza Hut and a few other fast food meals. Portion control is a big thing, I tend to have 60g rice and 75g pasta which actually is enough. You get a lot more quantity of potato for calories I find. If I do have a higher calorie meal I just adjust the rest of my day/week around it. I don’t see it as a cheat meal or anything like that. I also started Couch to 5K on the 3rd June and ran 20 minutes non stop the other day which I cannot believe I managed.

Reactions: 5
Water doesn’t cause weight or fat loss. The only thing that does is a calorie deficit. Water does stop cravings though, if you are properly hydrated you don’t feel as hungry. I sleep better when I drink lots, which in turn means I’m less tired which means I don’t have god awful sugar cravings.

I’ve lost 13lbs since 3rd June and in that time I’ve had a Pizza Hut and a few other fast food meals. Portion control is a big thing, I tend to have 60g rice and 75g pasta which actually is enough. You get a lot more quantity of potato for calories I find. If I do have a higher calorie meal I just adjust the rest of my day/week around it. I don’t see it as a cheat meal or anything like that. I also started Couch to 5K on the 3rd June and ran 20 minutes non stop the other day which I cannot believe I managed.
That’s excellent! I did the couch to 5k a few years ago and I literally couldn’t believe it ‘worked’ and I could run 30 mins (albeit slowly!) by the end of it. I light take that up again.
Away to fill a water bottle!

That’s excellent! I did the couch to 5k a few years ago and I literally couldn’t believe it ‘worked’ and I could run 30 mins (albeit slowly!) by the end of it. I light take that up again.
Away to fill a water bottle!
It’s a good way to get some movement in, and if you’re doing it then youl be using more energy which means you have more calories to play with. I’m not aiming for any specific target weight or anything. Just going to see how I feel as I go along. Once I’ve completely C25K my plan is to sign up for Lucy Mountains beginner at home plan, it looks great.

For those of you struggling with disordered eating after SW or those who are losing faith with it I thoroughly recommend following wearerebelfit and drjoshuawolrich on Instagram. They are huge eye openers x

Reactions: 2
For those of you struggling with disordered eating after SW or those who are losing faith with it I thoroughly recommend following wearerebelfit and drjoshuawolrich on Instagram. They are huge eye openers x
It does work for some people
You just need to have the right frame of mind

The best thing I’ve found is just making sure I’m in a calorie deficit. You can use online calculators to work out what yours should be, depending how much weight you want to lose over a certain amount of time.

I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories. I try to be as accurate as possible with it - it has a barcode scanner which makes it easier to add what you’re eating! I do still have treats though, but if I know I want to have a glass of wine with my dinner for example, I’ll have a lower calorie lunch to make sure I don’t go over my allowance for the day.

I’m also a lot more relaxed on weekends. I still keep an eye on what I’m eating but if I want to have a few drinks or dessert or something, I do.

I used to really restrict myself with food, and would always end up binging after a couple of days and then feeling terrible. I feel like this is a much more balanced way of losing weight, you’re not stopping yourself having certain foods or cutting anything out.

I also agree with what a previous poster said - I find taking measurements with a tape measure and taking progress pics every few weeks is much better than the scales!

Reactions: 1
It does work for some people
You just need to have the right frame of mind
I agree that Slimming World works when you are doing it, but it is not a realistic plan that you can follow for life (you could never go to a restaurant and have a 3 course meal for example), I found it just didn't teach me anything about balance as it was so all or nothing.

(I say this as someone who lost 3 stone and has slowly put back on 1 stone of that over the last 9 months or so. True - I could be doing SWs maintainence plan but I never could have stuck to SW on my honeymoon, etc)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Has anyone used noom? Or second nature?
I would be interested to hear if anyone’s used Noom too! I struggled bevause I found it very heavily targeted to Americans, which annoyed me 😅 also the person they paired me with was not very engaging but I’ve heard that’s what they’re like on the free trial, and only begin to engage once you’re paying for it

ETA; never heard of second nature before but looks like it will solve my problem with Noom being targeted towards Americans!

Last edited:
I’ve never done any weight loss clubs so I can’t really comment on sw, ww etc. But I have maintained my weight for over 6 years now by using MyFitnessPal and doing 10k steps per day. I lost 3 stone and have kept it off I eat at maintenance calories and usually “bank” calories for extra treats or drinks at weekends. Hope this helps 😊

Reactions: 3
I’ve found Noom and can honestly say this is what I’ve been looking for. Tried everything else, noom is educating me and I’m taking responsibility at last for my own well being

Hi everyone 😍

I have been thinking about creating a YouTube channel for a LONG time to document my health and fitness journey, and to give me some accountability. My main pain with other youtubers doing similar is it always seems to be retrospective, and they mention really expensive gyms/classes/food. I want to do it completely ‘normally’ and show it’s possible for anyone.

if there’s anything anyone would like to see personally I would really appreciate any ideas ❤

Hi everyone 😍

I have been thinking about creating a YouTube channel for a LONG time to document my health and fitness journey, and to give me some accountability. My main pain with other youtubers doing similar is it always seems to be retrospective, and they mention really expensive gyms/classes/food. I want to do it completely ‘normally’ and show it’s possible for anyone.

if there’s anything anyone would like to see personally I would really appreciate any ideas ❤
I'm rubbish with ideas but I'd definitely be interested in watching

I’ve been really diligent with Exante, started off on their suggested approach for the 800 plan, plus two litres of water a day. Subbed their milk allowance with 100ml of Oatly for my morning latte. I’ve managed to lose 11lb in 4 weeks.

I’ve also been using my Fitbit to track calories, and I’m really impressed with how much detail I am able to log. I’m also using the weight goal feature with calorie tracking, so it looks at how many calories I’ve burned throughout the day and tells me what my allowance for the day stands at. It’s tricky as it adjusts throughout the day based on your activity, but I’m finding I’m consistently maintaining a daily deficit of 1000 calories for a steady weight loss.

2 years ago I done SW. If I'm being honest I didn't have a lot of weight to lose but I thought I'd try it. I done it for 6 months and lost 3 stone. I managed to keep it off for a while as I was going to the gym (I didn't when I was doing SW) then my eating habits changed as I was so used to the 'unlimited' food that my portions were bigger than what they should be. I have still managed to keep most of it off, at the moment I'm a stone and a bit away from 'target'.

Late last year/early this year I downloaded a calorie tracking app and used that along with online fitness classes and I was doing well. I'm still 50/50 on SW as it has helped me but I think they should review alot of their free foods ect.

Well I've put on a the weight I lost after a month of eating shite. I've got loads of shakes and bars left so using them for work breakfast and lunch as I cannot be arsed prepping the night before.

I'm happier when I'm not dieting, I over think on diets so I'm going to loosely follow SW meals but if I want chocolate and a fat Friday I'm having it

Finally got my arse in gear. Lost 5 pounds in the past two weeks which I’m happy with. Got a stone to go to get back to where I was 6 months ago. Now I’m in the zone of eating less it’s easier, those first few days are so hard!!!!
Im absolutely desperate for a maccies though 😂

So since May I’ve lost 2 stone (not much as I haven’t had much to lose) by:
Changing to kids size plates
Only eating when I’m actually hungry and listening to my body
Drinking diet drinks only and tea
Making my meals under 400 calories (mostly had pizza wraps with homemade chips, jacket potatos, roast dinners a lot, chilli, quesadillas, Bolognese, chicken with salad
Snacking on muller light, ice lollies, low cal jelly and fruit and rice cakes
But overall I’ve not actually thought much about my calories or eating just listened to my body. Before I’d just eat because it was 6pm dinner time, but now I’m often not hungry at dinner so I’ll just have a snack later in the evening rather than forcing myself to have a meal

So since May I’ve lost 2 stone (not much as I haven’t had much to lose) by:
Changing to kids size plates
Only eating when I’m actually hungry and listening to my body
Drinking diet drinks only and tea
Making my meals under 400 calories (mostly had pizza wraps with homemade chips, jacket potatos, roast dinners a lot, chilli, quesadillas, Bolognese, chicken with salad
Snacking on muller light, ice lollies, low cal jelly and fruit and rice cakes
But overall I’ve not actually thought much about my calories or eating just listened to my body. Before I’d just eat because it was 6pm dinner time, but now I’m often not hungry at dinner so I’ll just have a snack later in the evening rather than forcing myself to have a meal
I can't do eating when I'm hungry I feel ravenous all the time I think I need hypnosis or CBT. Or a gastric band real or hypnotic ...anyone experience of any of this cost wise and how to go about. Private or gp referral