Gender Discussion #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good article today in the DM (not often I say that) about asexual women. Very interesting to hear from women who genuinely have struggled with asexuality their whole lives and the problems that it brings. Bit different to the 'I haven't fancied anyone in 4 minutes I must be asexual' rhetoric.

Reactions: 3
I think we have a winner for self-centred whinge of the year here.

20211018_105058.jpg

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
I think we have a winner for self-centred whinge of the year here.

View attachment 815662
Obviously don’t know the prognosis - but brain cancer is very scary. These people are so selfish. It’s a special kind of entitlement. The fact they are having elective surgery and taking resources from actual sick people. I hope this isn’t on the NHS.

Reactions: 21

Has anyone seen this report ? 14% of 700 respondents (to online surveys) report being “refused care by the GP because they were trans”? I wonder if this basically boils down to the GP wouldn’t prescribe them HRT? I can’t imagine on what other basis a transgender person would be refused any care by their GP? Statistics can be powerful when misinterpreted!

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 12.24.02.png

Services 'not required by a trans woman' relating to pregnancy and contraception. That's really going to upset the AGPs :sneaky:

I can't imagine a GP practice refusing to make an appointment for someone for cervical screening if they know that person is trans and has an intact cervix. I can imagine confusion if they see the person is recorded as 'male' on their records (see BBC article about trans men missing out on cervical screening as the letters haven't been sent out).

As a patient, NHS admin has always been a game of roulette (appointments made when I don't need them, appointments cancelled without informing me, other patient's letters sent to me (yes!)) - it's deluded to think the health service is going to get it right every time for a tiny section of society that wants their natal sex expunged from all records.

Reactions: 13

Has anyone seen this report ? 14% of 700 respondents (to online surveys) report being “refused care by the GP because they were trans”? I wonder if this basically boils down to the GP wouldn’t prescribe them HRT? I can’t imagine on what other basis a transgender person would be refused any care by their GP? Statistics can be powerful when misinterpreted!
I really dislike these kinds of surveys because there's always going to be a reporting bias. When I did empirical work for my PhD there was a huge discrepancy between what people told me they thought was happening (so their experiences) and what the facts actually showed was happening. I very much doubt any GP has refused care because someone is trans. You would need to analyse the GP records and medical notes to establish if that's true and not just an anecdotal myth, I certainly don't believe such a tale without cold hard evidence.

Also - in my opinion, a GP who prescribes or offers treatment that they feel is not clinically indicated is NOT giving you 'care.' I have a huge bugbear for example with GPs who prescribe antibiotics without testing properly to see if they're required, and for things like coughs. You're actually causing harm to a patient in prescribing antibiotics someone doesn't need because firstly it messes with your gut and secondly contributes to antibiotic resistance. So in my view if you don't 'need' something you are not having 'care' withheld from you by not being given what you demand.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

I really dislike these kinds of surveys because there's always going to be a reporting bias. When I did empirical work for my PhD there was a huge discrepancy between what people told me they thought was happening (so their experiences) and what the facts actually showed was happening. I very much doubt any GP has refused care because someone is trans. You would need to analyse the GP records and medical notes to establish if that's true and not just an anecdotal myth, I certainly don't believe such a tale without cold hard evidence.

Also - in my opinion, a GP who prescribes or offers treatment that they feel is not clinically indicated is NOT giving you 'care.' I have a huge bugbear for example with GPs who prescribe antibiotics without testing properly to see if they're required, and for things like coughs. You're actually causing harm to a patient in prescribing antibiotics someone doesn't need because firstly it messes with your gut and secondly contributes to antibiotic resistance. So in my view if you don't 'need' something you are not having 'care' withheld from you by not being given what you demand.
Totally right. I wonder what the full story here is. Very easy to say 14% of trans people are refused care by their GP - but the word "refused" carries a lot of negative connotations so it's easy to fabricate a story from that and paint yourself as a victim.

I've been "refused" the combined pill because I have a history of migraines and GPs simply won't prescribe it anymore as there's a small risk of stroke. But that's very different to a GP refusing to help me, there was a medical reason for it. I would imagine it's similar for those people surveyed.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Considering this doctor lost his tribunal for refusing to refer to a hypothetical transwoman as 'madam' instead of 'sir', I don't think 14% of trans people in the UK are refused care, it would be all over the news.

Edit - this is also interesting from a gender discussion perspective (though calling it 'gendered violence' is grating)

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
The man who is scared of ribbons is asking people to complain about the excellent Nolan investigation into Stonewall.

I've just sent them good feedback via Sounds Help, please consider doing the same if you thought it was good.

Reactions: 4
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
I was reading some posts elsewhere about Sir Robert Winstone and his "disgusting" comments on Question Time.

"The fact he didn't talk about Gender shows he's not remote an expert on trans issues."

"I can't help but feel he's one of these people who feels pressed that he should have an opinion to offer, even when it's a topic he hasn't really given any thought to. As a man of science he really should no better than that, of course, and be prepared to demure. I'd like to think some of his friends in academia would chuck some recommended reading his way. Though sadly, all too often it goes the other way in these cases, and he may be targeted now for grooming by transphobic groups ready to tell him that they're the only ones who like him now, so he better throw his lot in there."

The sheer ridiculous arrogance of it, suggesting that the noted expert in the field of biological science needs to educate himself for talking in facts!

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 15
I was reading some posts elsewhere about Sir Robert Winstone and his "disgusting" comments on Question Time.

"The fact he didn't talk about Gender shows he's not remote an expert on trans issues."

"I can't help but feel he's one of these people who feels pressed that he should have an opinion to offer, even when it's a topic he hasn't really given any thought to. As a man of science he really should no better than that, of course, and be prepared to demure. I'd like to think some of his friends in academia would chuck some recommended reading his way. Though sadly, all too often it goes the other way in these cases, and he may be targeted now for grooming by transphobic groups ready to tell him that they're the only ones who like him now, so he better throw his lot in there."

The sheer ridiculous arrogance of it, suggesting that the noted expert in the field of biological science needs to educate himself for talking in facts!
I'd have (a tiny bit) more time for them if they could spell/use grammar properly. No doubt Sir Robert Winston can. And I'd hazard a guess he's far better educated too.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.