Gender Discussion #12

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'll take a look later, thank you. One day I hope to be brave enough to attend one 😊
My fear was mostly about being filmed, photographed. Things you can do about that are not sitting at the front, wearing hat, mask etc, wear clothes that aren't what you normally wear. You can also probably find a no photo badge you could wear too.

Of course, in 2021 we shouldn't have to have these concerns. :rolleyes:

I found it a very positive experience in general and enjoyed chatting to other women once the speeches finished.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I feel awful for the Olympians / anyone in the public eye who is directly asked to make a statement on trans issues, it’s incredibly sensitive and complex and could really ruin your career. Most people probably haven’t thought through the perfectly worded answer - it just seems to be putting people on the spot when you know you’re only going to accept one answer.

Weird side note but I was researching an obscure historical figure today and came across another person of the same name on wiki, the wiki page identifies them as a trans man and refers to them as such throughout - this person died in 1922 so I’m not sure how they can be sure.

Reactions: 13
I feel awful for the Olympians / anyone in the public eye who is directly asked to make a statement on trans issues, it’s incredibly sensitive and complex and could really ruin your career.
Olympians are also not allowed to make political statements in general as per the rules/guidance. The President of the IOC has also said that this includes divisive issues, so gender issues such as this presumably

The question shouldn't have been asked to begin with, but it's sad that the athletes will now probably be getting hate for the lack of responses too

Reactions: 3
A Tale of 2 Questions...

So calm, when asked what they made of the "historic" participation of LH. Silence, then "No thank you"... *Mic drop*

Look at how they all shift in their seats when the LH question gets asked. I’m sure a body language expert would have a field day dissecting that moment🤣 I bet they thought laurels performance was a total joke. I know next to nothing about weightlifting but the difference in technique was so so obvious to anyone. Like watching the pros vs an amateur. I’d have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the back whilst LH was doing his ‘lifts’. I reckon if they had anything positive to say they would have said it. “No thank you” says it all. Can we all say no thank you to men in women’s sports?

Tbh they’re probably sick of being asked about LH all the time. The spot light should be on the medal winners, not someone who wasn’t even close to the standard of the other competitors and only keeps being mentioned because of being trans.

God, can you imagine If LH had managed to medal. The commentary afterwards would be insufferable. Non of the other medalists would get a look in.

Reactions: 12
Weird side note but I was researching an obscure historical figure today and came across another person of the same name on wiki, the wiki page identifies them as a trans man and refers to them as such throughout - this person died in 1922 so I’m not sure how they can be sure.
There seems to be a weird trend amongst certain young people where they try to claim historical people(think Anne lister etc) as trans/non-binary because of the lack of conformity to societal norms of the time. But those labels didn’t exist in western society in the 18th century. It seems so counteractive seeing as so many of them are anti label and anti assuming ones gender identity/sexuality.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
Look at how they all shift in their seats when the LH question gets asked. I’m sure a body language expert would have a field day dissecting that moment🤣 I bet they thought laurels performance was a total joke. I know next to nothing about weightlifting but the difference in technique was so so obvious to anyone. Like watching the pros vs an amateur. I’d have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the back whilst LH was doing his ‘lifts’. I reckon if they had anything positive to say they would have said it. “No thank you” says it all. Can we all say no thank you to men in women’s sports?

Tbh they’re probably sick of being asked about LH all the time. The spot light should be on the medal winners, not someone who wasn’t even close to the standard of the other competitors and only keeps being mentioned because of being trans.

God, can you imagine If LH had managed to medal. The commentary afterwards would be insufferable. Non of the other medalists would get a look in.
Exactly, I would be so p*ssed at working so hard to get this far, and then you get on the podium and instead you are asked about one of the cheating losers rather than yourself.
I also hate how these interviewers are trying to goad people into making one acceptable answer/putting words in mouths of people. They came to lift weights, not to be a political spokesperson for the woke.
I love their "no thank you" because technically you can't say they are transphobic as they didn't say anything. It's a great way of saying no without giving a soundbite that could end their career.

There seems to be a weird trend amongst certain young people where they try to claim historical people(think Anne lister etc) as trans/non-binary because of the lack of conformity to societal norms of the time. But those labels didn’t exist in western society in the 18th century. It seems so counteractive seeing as so many of them are anti label and anti assuming ones gender identity/sexuality.
Who are they to speak for the dead?!

Emily Campbell, who won Great Britain’s first ever women’s weightlifting Olympic medal has made a bigger impact for the sport. Especially as she had no Lottery funding and had to get there herself. I don’t know much about Emily but I’m presuming she doesn’t have wealthy parents either. What positive things has Laurel done for women’s weightlifting in New Zealand? duck all. He couldn’t even lift.

On the whole sports being open to all thing, they are open! Anyone can get into weight lifting if they want. Competing is different, no one is entitled to compete. You have to be good enough and in an ideal world as a biological man you would be excluded from the women’s category regardless of trans status. Compete with the men if you want to compete at all.

The hat looks stupid. Yellow is not Laurel’s colour.
I don’t know much about Emily’s background either but i live fairly close to her family and I do know the area she comes from is about as far from an affluent area of town as you can get. There will have been very little privilege in her upbringing. Her family were on the local news last night and they seemed a lovely salt of the earth sort of family

There was a good segment on woman's hour on Emily's win and how it's inspiring for women. Didn't mention LH. The person they interviewed was a woman who owned a gym specifically for lifting. She spoke about how women only gyms were so important and why. Glad that was the focus of the discussion.

Reactions: 16

Well James Guy gets it.
I've never wanted to be on Twitter but right now I feel that I should join just to stand side by side with James Guy and anyone else that is willing to stick their head above the parapet and speak the truth about what an absolute travesty it is to have biological Men competing in the Womens class

Reactions: 8
Moaning that the nurse follows the rules and keeps the children in her care safe, anyone could claim to be the parents.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Moaning that the nurse follows the rules and keeps the children in her care safe, anyone could claim to be the parents.
There was a documentary (channel 4 I think?) on this couple (it was discussed a few threads back.) In this case, the transman is the biological mother and the surrogate is obviously the mother in terms of she's carried and given birth to that child. The person referred to in the article by the transman as the mother is their partner.

The documentary was interesting, the transman was very misogynistic and was disappointed to hear that the baby was female because it meant pink and glitter. The baby was born during covid and they didn't seem to give much thought to the surrogate mother having to give birth in the middle of a pandemic.

Also on surrogate news, Tan France's surrogate gave birth. It all just reeks of the Handmaid's Tale.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.