Gel nails - suddenly allergic?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t find as much as I’d like on google so just wondering if this had happened to anyone else?
I have been doing my own gel nails with an LED lamp for about a year now (always had gel overlays before that too) the last two applications I’ve done, my skin around my fingers have been really itchy and sore and dried out massively.
I’ve used the same brand top/base coat as always and the same polishes I’ve always used
They look vile and I’m a bit gutted as I love having my nails done!
has anyone else ever just suddenly become allergic to them?
Are there any alternatives I could use?

It's really common. Does your gel have acrylate in it? It might be that, that's causing the reaction.

Reactions: 1
It's really common. Does your gel have acrylate in it? It might be that, that's causing the reaction.
Thanks,i will have a look at the bottles when I’m home, is it quite common for it to just start after so long of being fine?

Are you getting it on your skin at all? This is an easy way to get a reaction x

Thanks,i will have a look at the bottles when I’m home, is it quite common for it to just start after so long of being fine?
Yeah you can just build up an intolerance to it sadly. It's really annoying.

Reactions: 2
Shellac are acrylate free if that helps. There's a website called beauty for a fiver which I've yet to order from but does various colours for £3.95.

Yeah you can just build up an intolerance to it sadly. It's really annoying.
so annoying! Feels like such a waste I’ve got so many colours and items 😭
Thanks for your reply’s x

Shellac are acrylate free if that helps. There's a website called beauty for a fiver which I've yet to order from but does various colours for £3.95.
thank you I’ll have a look, I have a couple of shellac colours so hopefully if I can get their base & top coat too it might save me 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Are you getting it on your skin at all? This is an easy way to get a reaction x
Not during application, I’ve infilled my last few times using BIAB so wondered if it’s the dust from the filing that’s made it worse sooner!
at first I thought I had dried up as I used a cheaper brand of prep and polish 😔

Last edited:
so annoying! Feels like such a waste I’ve got so many colours and items 😭
Thanks for your reply’s x

thank you I’ll have a look, I have a couple of shellac colours so hopefully if I can get their base & top coat too it might save me 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Not during application, I’ve infilled my last few times using BIAB so wondered if it’s the dust from the filing that’s made it worse sooner!
at first I thought I had dried up as I used a cheaper brand of prep and polish 😔
What BIAB? If it's a particular white bottle, they have allegedly caused a lot of allegies x

What BIAB? If it's a particular white bottle, they have allegedly caused a lot of allegies x
Builder in a bottle gel, it comes in the same type of bottles as the gel polish so is easy to sue , I use it for extra strength and you can use it to extend the nails. X

Builder in a bottle gel, it comes in the same type of bottles as the gel polish so is easy to sue , I use it for extra strength and you can use it to extend the nails. X
Is it The Gel Bottle BIAB? They are having a LOT of issues with this.
Also do you have the same brand lamp because if not you’re risking your gel never curing 100% and any uncured gel can cause irritation and allergies over time. Lamps and brands should never be mixed.

Is it The Gel Bottle BIAB? They are having a LOT of issues with this.
Also do you have the same brand lamp because if not you’re risking your gel never curing 100% and any uncured gel can cause irritation and allergies over time. Lamps and brands should never be mixed.
no it’s not the gel bottle, ever since I started really I’ve used premier gel builder in a bottle, they don’t have their own lamps that I’m aware of. X

no it’s not the gel bottle, ever since I started really I’ve used premier gel builder in a bottle, they don’t have their own lamps that I’m aware of. X
Ah they’re another one known for issues. They say they’re a professional brand but I don’t think they are. If they don’t have a lamp it means they haven’t tested their products properly so you can never be sure they’re fully cured. There is a lot of info about this on a site called Salon Geek. Ideally you want your lamp and all your products by the same brand so not mixing base and colour and top coats for example. Unfortunately uncured gel often looks cured to the eye but it could be causing you a lot of issues. I’d take it off and stop using if possible!
If you want an alternative I keep reading about a brand called ikon IQ I think it’s called. All hypoallergenic, HEMA free, no nasties etc.

Ah they’re another one known for issues. They say they’re a professional brand but I don’t think they are. If they don’t have a lamp it means they haven’t tested their products properly so you can never be sure they’re fully cured. There is a lot of info about this on a site called Salon Geek. Ideally you want your lamp and all your products by the same brand so not mixing base and colour and top coats for example. Unfortunately uncured gel often looks cured to the eye but it could be causing you a lot of issues. I’d take it off and stop using if possible!
If you want an alternative I keep reading about a brand called ikon IQ I think it’s called. All hypoallergenic, HEMA free, no nasties etc.
Thank you I’ll have a look into them
X

First time poster here. This started happening to me. I had to take antihistamine to stop the finger tip itching. I now make sure I wash my hands really thoroughly afterwards and it’s calmed right down again. Not as bad as becoming allergic to the glue used for eye lash extensions. Now that was unattractive.

@EyeSpy88 I know this is years old now but did you find a solution? I’ve recently started having a reaction to the polish but really don’t want to stop doing my nails 😭

@EyeSpy88 I know this is years old now but did you find a solution? I’ve recently started having a reaction to the polish but really don’t want to stop doing my nails 😭
Sadly I didn’t with gel 😭😭 however I did start using dip powder and have no reaction to acrylic products at all, it took a while to get used to but find it really quick and easy now xx

This exact thing happened to me last year. I've had some really painful flare ups exactly as previous posters have described.

I found hypoallergenic polish online that I've been using instead and they seem to be fine but two of my fingers that still flare up a little although nowhere as bad as before.

This is what I've started using: https://www.themanicurecompany.com/collections/zero-gel-polish