Gavin and Stacey

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am so excited! Going off on a tangent but we had to have lots of IVF, five of which either failed or resulted in miscarriages and each and everytime we had ‘bad news’ me and my husband would go home, order something fatty and unhealthy and binge watch Gavin & Stacey in an attempt to cheer ourselves up. The words ‘barn dance’ to me are so bitter sweet because they made me laugh through my tears and as sycophantic as it might sound I could kiss James Cordon & Ruth Jones for just making a tit time that bit better! Anyway, that’s my ‘nice’ post out of the way for a year or so I’m off to slag the OD’s off!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Such a genius show. I love the way they pick up on so many tiny quirks of our culture - the politics of sharing a takeaway as one small example. Also those small inconsequential scenes that are so brilliant. I love the bit in the toilets where Pam and Dawn are talking about the film Doubt with “Phillip Dustin Hoffman”...again just one example of many.

Then the characters are so strong, so individual and so hilarious, even the supporting ones - a lot of love for dawn and Pete on this thread for instance. But Nessa is one of the greatest characters ever.
AND it also manages to make you care about them and be moved at the sentimental moments.

Reactions: 16
Do you think ill of me my child?
Your eating ham pam lo

Such a genius show. I love the way they pick up on so many tiny quirks of our culture - the politics of sharing a takeaway as one small example. Also those small inconsequential scenes that are so brilliant. I love the bit in the toilets where Pam and Dawn are talking about the film Doubt with “Phillip Dustin Hoffman”...again just one example of many.

Then the characters are so strong, so individual and so hilarious, even the supporting ones - a lot of love for dawn and Pete on this thread for instance. But Nessa is one of the greatest characters ever.
AND it also manages to make you care about them and be moved at the sentimental moments.
That’s how we do take aways (I’m from Essex lol) and when I had a take away uP in the midlands with my husbands family they didn’t share lol
My husband thinks it’s weird and is with smithy ( although he isn’t a fan of gavin n Stacey 😱😱)

• Haha
Reactions: 3
That’s how we do take aways (I’m from Essex lol) and when I had a take away uP in the midlands with my husbands family they didn’t share lol
My husband thinks it’s weird and is with smithy ( although he isn’t a fan of gavin n Stacey 😱😱)
I love how they all describe it with gestures and noises - so relatable and somehow hilarious. It’s not something that would be funny if you explained to someone who had never seen it, but it’s just one of those observational comedic gems that makes the show so good.

Another small character that needs to be appreciated is Rudy, Smithy’s sister. All her scenes were a gas and they had very believable sibling chemistry (I know they were an item for a bit. Still, chemistry is chemistry...)

And one of my favourite lines that this thread has made me think of (tho unfortunately I can’t fully remember or find online) is Pam confessing when she’s craving meat “I had a McDonalds last week with Chinese Margaret. We ate it in a car wash..” ...is that right ?

Reactions: 5
I love how they all describe it with gestures and noises - so relatable and somehow hilarious. It’s not something that would be funny if you explained to someone who had never seen it, but it’s just one of those observational comedic gems that makes the show so good.

Another small character that needs to be appreciated is Rudy, Smithy’s sister. All her scenes were a gas and they had very believable sibling chemistry (I know they were an item for a bit. Still, chemistry is chemistry...)

And one of my favourite lines that this thread has made me think of (tho unfortunately I can’t fully remember or find online) is Pam confessing when she’s craving meat “I had a McDonalds last week with Chinese Margaret. We ate it in a car wash..” ...is that right ?
It’s so clever, like I’ve said before I can see my family in the shipmans, a bit my brother in law loved going to visit, cos we just laughed.

i think that’s right. I need to watch all again!
Another good episode is the phone mast where they are tryin to contact each other but the phone reception was rubbish and when they are up there protesting and the men come up n plonked a sign in the ground lol

Reactions: 6
Another good episode is the phone mast where they are tryin to contact each other but the phone reception was rubbish and when they are up there protesting and the men come up n plonked a sign in the ground lol
The phone mast episode is absolute gold!

The phone mast episode is absolute gold!
Tumour brains, I mean brain tumors

Absolutely cannot wait for Christmas day!

And I'm Midlands and we definitely don't share our takeaways, very much on Smithys side with that!

Reactions: 3
We’re in South Yorkshire and there would be murders if anyone suggested sharing an Indian!

Reactions: 4
I’m from Essex. I can categorically tell you no one I know shares there takeaway. We refer to those who share there food as the tilbs.

Reactions: 2

I think the scene when Smithy goes ape about sharing his curry is my favourite scene of the whole program. Literally wet myself watching it and I always rewind it. ‘I can gaurentee someone, probably Pete is eyeing up my bhunas, am I right?’

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I’m watching it all again...... the man up the road is called mick... we always go... alright Mick, Mike, Michael and he laughs !!!! The fella up the school is called Gavin and we call him Gavla !!!!
apparently I’m like Pam !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’m watching it all again...... the man up the road is called mick... we always go... alright Mick, Mike, Michael and he laughs !!!! The fella up the school is called Gavin and we call him Gavla !!!!
apparently I’m like Pam !!!!
I think I'm a bit of a cross between Pam and Doris 😂
I've just watched series 2 and 3 as they're on Netflix but really wanted to watch series 1 but it's not on 🙈🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 2