Gardening

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never thought I’d post something like this but I’ve bought a house and the garden was beautiful when I first moved in, my friends and family really helped with maintenance the first summer but now I’m so out of my depth. I don’t know what are weeds, what are plants, how to deal with plants! All the borders are overgrown with grass and weeds 😫

I have a few rose bushes which are out of control so I hacked at them today and chopped them really small - was that the right thing to do?! I have loads of weeds in the borders (those spiky ball headed things that come off in little barbed spikes) and what I understand to be “sticky willy” but my main problem is brambles coming over from my neighbors on both sides. Neither of them like the brambles but they are council house tenants and keep saying the council should sort it, when I call the council they say that the tenant is responsible. How the hell do I get rid of these brambles for good?!

Also one neighbour has a massive tree which blocks our midday sun and she said she’s been quoted £5k (by her uncle!) to chop it down to a stump. They have recently bought a house so will be moving soon, any advice on how I can approach the new neighbors to get it chopped down? I wouldn’t mind contributing to the cost but don’t want to get off on the wrong foot. Especially as I don’t see how someone in council housing could afford that kind of cost anyway.

I also have an Apple tree which is massive and attracts wasps. I don’t even like apples but I like the idea of a small Apple tree 🤣 how the hell do you know how to cut it down correctly?

Any green fingered tattlers here that can help?

I'd say Google and utube. Trees ideally need a surgeon especially for larger trees as you don't want it falling where it shouldn't. Dig the offending weeds out of your borders is the only answer i'd say. Any tips on pruning roses etc you will find on utube. Most flowers need dead headed so take any dead looking flower heads off. Could you afford to have a gardner once in a while to do some maintenance? I know where I live people do grass cutting etc. Maybe get rid of some of the harder to look after plants which can be dug up an rehomed and go for grasses that just look after themselves.

Reactions: 1
I'm not an expert but do have a massive garden. It's both a joy and a curse, I absolutely love it but spend a lot of time. Sadly due to lockdowns/homeschooling etc it has been neglected. The previous owners had a full time gardener but we can't afford that so it's just me.

Roses are my passion, so I can help there. They are easy to prune and very forgiving, I find! Cut back to just above a bud (knobbly bit on side of stem). If you aren't sure look at David austin website for advice. They do the best roses (I have about 30, mostly inherited but I've added a few).

Trees bit tricky. You can't tell someone to chop their trees down even if it is blocking your light so you may need to get to know them a bit once they've moved in? My pal had this, but it was her tree and she wanted them to contribute (even though they had zero obligation to!) she popped round with a homemade cake and they ended up covering half of the cost. Saying that people can be really, really funny about trees. I bloody love mine and would go mental if anyone had the nerve to tell me what to do with them (but none of mine overhang anyone else's garden do I appreciate it is difficult.

Brambles we've found they always come back, even with weedkiller (should add we only use this after exhausting every other option. You need to dig them out but hard if they aren't on your side of the fence!

Apple trees are easy! I have an orchard so went on a course to learn. You want them to look like a goblet shape so you could throw your hat through it (very old fashioned chap who taught me). If it is heavily overgrown if may be worth paying someone to do it this time then keeping on top of it once you've got it the size you want. You can prune them anytime of the year, but it is easiest in the spring when you can see the buds.

Reactions: 2
I never thought I’d post something like this but I’ve bought a house and the garden was beautiful when I first moved in, my friends and family really helped with maintenance the first summer but now I’m so out of my depth. I don’t know what are weeds, what are plants, how to deal with plants! All the borders are overgrown with grass and weeds 😫

I have a few rose bushes which are out of control so I hacked at them today and chopped them really small - was that the right thing to do?! I have loads of weeds in the borders (those spiky ball headed things that come off in little barbed spikes) and what I understand to be “sticky willy” but my main problem is brambles coming over from my neighbors on both sides. Neither of them like the brambles but they are council house tenants and keep saying the council should sort it, when I call the council they say that the tenant is responsible. How the hell do I get rid of these brambles for good?!

Also one neighbour has a massive tree which blocks our midday sun and she said she’s been quoted £5k (by her uncle!) to chop it down to a stump. They have recently bought a house so will be moving soon, any advice on how I can approach the new neighbors to get it chopped down? I wouldn’t mind contributing to the cost but don’t want to get off on the wrong foot. Especially as I don’t see how someone in council housing could afford that kind of cost anyway.

I also have an Apple tree which is massive and attracts wasps. I don’t even like apples but I like the idea of a small Apple tree 🤣 how the hell do you know how to cut it down correctly?

Any green fingered tattlers here that can help?
Hi @If you say so... there is a gardening thread over in the Off Topic section which you may find useful. 🙂

Reactions: 1