Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
This reunion is going to be shit because of the celeb guests.

Just needed the six and a cameo from Gunther.

Almost makes me wish it was a shit actual episode. Where we found out that Ross married Rachel and got divorced...AGAIN!

Ross now runs the paleontology department at his university. He hasn't seen Ben in years.

Rachel and Joey have got back together and have actually made a success of it, got married and had a kid or two.

Monica and Chandler are still married happily. Chandler is a big advertising executive and Monica has opened her own top restaurant back in the city.

Joey briefly moved into his room at Monica and Chandler's after returning from Hollywood and before getting back with Rachel.

Phoebe and Mike have inherited his parents massive wealth and now have a brood of around a dozen children, some their own and some adopted. Smelly Cat went viral on tiktok.

Gunther still works at Central Perk.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

Buswanker

When friends went on netflix wasn't there murmurs about how it hadn't aged well, was homophobic etc?
There was, but when you sit and watch it, it’s hardly outrageously offensive. It was deemed to be homophobic and not diverse enough amongst other things. But that wasn’t how things were at the time. I felt that uproar was part of the cancel culture mentality that we seem to be in right now. Things were different 25-30 years ago. That doesn’t make it ok, but I also don’t think everything pre 2015 should be cancelled just because folks seem so desperate to find offence in every little thing these days. 🙄 If the show was made now it would be different. Every box would have to be ticked so as not to upset anyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

Sw4

VIP Member
Lisa looked the best by far, she's aged so well and has had either minimal or better work done compared to the others. Matt le Blanc still looked good too. He does seem like a Joey in real life, i.e.a genuine, caring and funny guy.

The whole reunion show was OK, totally unnecessary but still watchable. I liked the bloopers the best and also the revelation about David/Jennifer had me like OMG!

Oh and Mr Heckles looked EXACTLY the same, in fact I think he's the one that's aged the best in that he hasn't!

• Haha
Reactions: 32

soymilk

VIP Member
I think it would've been a nicer idea to have the guests as the celebrities that made cameos in the series, like Winona Ryder, Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt, Danny DeVito, Christina Applegate etc.

Reactions: 32

Vee6

VIP Member
On my second watch I realised no one got the references to the series that Matt made at the beginning. “Was it always purple?” And “it seems smaller somehow”. As a strong fan I appreciated them. Seems like he was the only one who has watched the show! 😉

• Heart
Reactions: 30

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
It would've been perfect if it was just the six reminiscing on set, talking about what went on, doing the read through bits and some of the BTS stuff from David and Marta. It didn't need James Corden and the celeb guests. Even the cameos from other characters was unnecessary really.

Reactions: 29

onlyheretoorbit

VIP Member
Jen and Courtney definitely look very pillow faced. Lisa looks fab.

Matt LeBlanc always seems like a really nice guy, and I actually feel like David came across really well. I hated Ross but again he seems like a nice person. His line reading was also the best, he's still able to go into 'Ross' mode quite naturally.

Matthew Perry seemed incredibly nervous/anxious to me. He mentioned struggling in front of a live audience and tbh I think he seems uncomfortable without a character and jokes to hide behind.

Reactions: 28

Tinkerbell cat

VIP Member
I wanted a proper reunion with the characters themselves and see where their lives had ended up and what they all would be up to now, their kids all grown up etc. Not a bloody interview thing with people like James Corden.. :(

Reactions: 28

BonBon27

VIP Member
I loved it. I thought it was good to see them altogether, I think there is genuine affection for each other and for the show. I knew more of the quotes and answers to the questions than they did though 🤣 The guests weren’t as annoying as I thought they might be although I could have done without a few of them, and would have liked to have seen a few more who were actually on it! Reese Witherspoon can do no wrong in my eyes so I’m pleased she appeared, criminal Paul Rudd didn’t!
Matthew Perry did make me sad, he just didn’t seem very well or with it. I love Matt and Lisa, think they seem the most down to earth.

I get that some of the jokes aren’t relevant or acceptable these days, but to me it’s a massive comfort blanket. When I was grieving it’s the only thing I could face watching as it was familiar and I knew no one would die or get cancer. I don’t think you can underestimate the impact it’s had on some people. The numbers for streaming are crazy. Two of my teenage nieces love it now, which is mad really when you think I first watched it, week by week, when I was their age!

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I enjoyed it as a passable 2 hours, I just didn’t feel like the interview bit with James Corden was necessary, nor was the fashion show or Lady Gaga singing. I liked just seeing them together talking and the little stories (like when Matt Le Blanc dislocated his shoulder!) - I would have really liked a much less Hollywood type thing and had it just be about the 6 actors, the creators and little pop ins from guest stars. Where was Paul Rudd!?

• Heart

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Buzzfeed post regular “15 reasons Friends should be banished and never mentioned again so not to offend us woke them/they”
You can't judge a show that finished being made 17 years ago by today's standards. I have such an issue with BuzzFeed and the like for this. Not just judging Friends, but lots of shows and films etc.

Write the article of 15 Ways The World Has Moved on Since Friends and acknowledge that aspects of it haven't aged well, but accept that it was made of its time with different attitudes and acceptances. But that it can still be enjoyed today, even while acknowledging those aspects that don't reflect the attitudes of today.

• Heart

SpookyLumberjack

VIP Member
Funny bit from The Guardian:

Lots to unpack here, and all of it dismal. Did you know that Kit Harington sees himself as a Monica? Did you know that David Beckham also sees himself as a Monica? Did you know that the actor who played Mr Heckles was going to cameo, but not before suffering the indignation of realising that the entire primary cast of Friends had forgotten the name of his character? Did you want to see Elliott Gould – Elliott Gould, for crying out loud! – relegated to a seat in the audience? Did you want to see Gunther appear on Zoom, in a Central Perk hat, saying nothing of interest at all? Did you want to see the members of BTS say “We love Friends” in unison? Or several members of the public wildly overstate their enjoyment of Friends? Or Malala being described by her best friend as “100% Joey with a hint of Phoebe”, while simultaneously giving off the impression that she doesn’t actually like Friends very much? Of course you didn’t, but here it was anyway. However, did you wait for over 90 minutes to see Paul Rudd turn up, and then realise that he wasn’t going to appear, and then wonder what on earth happened between him and the cast of Friends? Yes. Yes you did. Never mind.

Justin Bieber dressed up as a big potato. Justin Bieber, who has no connection to Friends, tangible or otherwise, took up time on a Friends reunion show by dressing up as a big potato, talking up and down for a bit and pulling a funny face. This wasn’t just bad. This was the death of entertainment.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Greencatfysh

VIP Member
I thought the lady gaga bit should have been a re-do of the episode where Phoebe’s rival gets Smelly Cat recorded with a label. Instead it was Gaga showing off and Lisa Kudrow looking a bit annoyed and cringed out...

I agree the guests stars were quite crap and just seemed like James Corden’s friends.

Reactions: 25

Yel

Chatty Member
25040546-8030735-image-m-12_1582323974981.jpg

So it's confirmed. Me 10 years ago would have liked a reunion. But I think these things are best left alone. Although hbo must be putting alot of money into it, so unlikely to be as bad as the sex and the city movies 🤞

Reactions: 24

Emilee86

Chatty Member
Absolutely loved it...... matt le blanc is just so so funny loved how he was still making everyone laughed.... and Ross and Rachel in real life that was just so so lovely to watch.... I have watched friends from the very beginning and I absolutely adored looking back on it all tonight... was so lovely to see them altogether.... 😍💕

• Heart
Reactions: 23