Friends (or lack of)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have 0 friends. I have an amazing partner who is pretty much my best friend, though. I left a job last year after 4 years, unfortunately the ‘friends’ I thought I had there have vanished from my life completely. I think about my wedding often- I’m only 25 but the thought of trying to find bridesmaids etc makes my heart sink. The only contact I have aside from my boyfriend is with my parents, maybe once a week over FaceTime. It’s so lonely 😞

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I have 0 friends. I have an amazing partner who is pretty much my best friend, though. I left a job last year after 4 years, unfortunately the ‘friends’ I thought I had there have vanished from my life completely. I think about my wedding often- I’m only 25 but the thought of trying to find bridesmaids etc makes my heart sink. The only contact I have aside from my boyfriend is with my parents, maybe once a week over FaceTime. It’s so lonely 😞
I try and stay positive and think that you never know when you'll meet someone. ♥ And that genuine good friendships will be worth the wait.

Reactions: 4
I try and stay positive and think that you never know when you'll meet someone. ♥ And that genuine good friendships will be worth the wait.
Absolutely! Sometimes I get caught up in thinking I’m wasting the ‘best years’ of my life, like I should be having as much fun as possible while I’m still young. In a way the pandemic has made it easier, nobody else can see their friends so I don’t feel as left out any more. Hoping for a girly bottomless brunch soon though ☺

Reactions: 6
I worry about the bridesmaid thing too. I wish I had a sister who I could ask! I do have a step sister, but we’re not that close and like chalk and cheese personality wise. I am warming up to the idea of just getting legally married and doing away with the whole celebration aspect if I’m honest😂

Either that, or we do the wedding our own way, pick and choose the traditions we want to take part in (I would sack the first dance off for a start, no thanks). Who says weddings have to be done a certain way? Especially these days.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I can't believe the number of people who also have the not knowing who to ask as bridesmaid problem! I have friends I could ask if I really had to but it would be kinda awkward as they're not best friends and I wasn't their bridesmaid so I wouldn't really want to..

Luckily the idea of a big wedding with me as the centre of attention is my idea of hell so I probs wouldn't have one 😂
that’s what I say! I got my son christened and that was bad enough stood up at the water thing, I was literally dripping sweat bright red just felt like such a knob and thought omg how many people are looking at me , then fake smiled at lots of distant relatives afterwards it was PAINFUL hahaha

sod it let’s just all meet up after lockdown , have loads of cocktails and make the biggest BFF group known to man 😂 unless if we are all so anxious we all just sit there not talking 😂 after a drink I’m sure you can’t shut me up

• Heart
  • Haha
It's really easy to feel like you're not good enough if you have no or few friends. I have a very, very small group of friends but for me it's enough. I actually don't know how people have time to see multiple groups of friends all the time!

The bottom line is everyone is different, as long as you don't feel anything missing then you're fine :) Even if you would like more friends, it will happen for you at some point, it's just not always easy to meet people you really click with but it will happen, you might just need to move into another stage of life first.

Reactions: 7
I have related with so many posts, so thought I'd comment. I'm 37 and live with my boyfriend, but only have 1 close, best friend I've known for over 20 years, and as much as I cherish her, it makes me realise she's the only person I physically have to talk to, aside from my bf and my parents. I get on well with my work colleagues, but we've been furloughed since December and I miss the chatter and laughs, just general contact, so I can't wait to start back to have more company. I've had a few close friends over the years, but they turned toxic, which is sad and made me very wary of people. I have aquaintances and people I speak to on Instagram but it's not the same. I'm not happy with it, but what can I do? I know I'm not the only be, do that's a comfort, and I'm friendly and talk to people briefly when I walk the dog, but lockdown has made me painfully aware of the fact I'm lonely.... 😞

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I have related with so many posts, so thought I'd comment. I'm 37 and live with my boyfriend, but only have 1 close, best friend I've known for over 20 years, and as much as I cherish her, it makes me realise she's the only person I physically have to talk to, aside from my bf and my parents. I get on well with my work colleagues, but we've been furloughed since December and I miss the chatter and laughs, just general contact, so I can't wait to start back to have more company. I've had a few close friends over the years, but they turned toxic, which is sad and made me very wary of people. I have aquaintances and people I speak to on Instagram but it's not the same. I'm not happy with it, but what can I do? I know I'm not the only be, do that's a comfort, and I'm friendly and talk to people briefly when I walk the dog, but lockdown has made me painfully aware of the fact I'm lonely.... 😞
it’s really hard, I always think *how* do I make friends, I’ve spoke to people on Instagram too and even some local pages but the conversation gets a bit forced after a while
And it doesn’t help that I don’t really have any hobbies, so there’s no major interests that connect me with people. I’ve been in a few mum chats but then I end up just talking to people because we both have kids the same age which isn’t really a friendship quality It’s just something we have in common.
i only talk to my partner, his family and my family and the kids but they don’t really give me great conversation I’m pretty bored of talking about play doh and paw patrol 😂

I’m kind of dreading seeing all the pics of people having massive reunions with big gangs of friends after lockdown. Don’t get me wrong, I want lockdown to be over but stuff like that makes it hit home.

Im also someone who dreads getting married due to lack of friends. I’ve been engaged for 8 years but just can’t face it 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 22
it’s really hard, I always think *how* do I make friends, I’ve spoke to people on Instagram too and even some local pages but the conversation gets a bit forced after a while
And it doesn’t help that I don’t really have any hobbies, so there’s no major interests that connect me with people. I’ve been in a few mum chats but then I end up just talking to people because we both have kids the same age which isn’t really a friendship quality It’s just something we have in common.
i only talk to my partner, his family and my family and the kids but they don’t really give me great conversation I’m pretty bored of talking about play doh and paw patrol 😂
I feel like a lot of people just don't want to make the effort. This was all pre-lockdown but I always found I'd be instigating stuff and getting lukewarm responses, or we'd arrange to catch up and they'd bail on me at the last minute. It gets so tiring. I had a colleague who became a friend and the best thing about her was that she was always up for doing something. She made time for people. I don't know if I'm just hyper-aware of it but it seemed like so many people couldn't be arsed.

Reactions: 11
I feel like a lot of people just don't want to make the effort. This was all pre-lockdown but I always found I'd be instigating stuff and getting lukewarm responses, or we'd arrange to catch up and they'd bail on me at the last minute. It gets so tiring. I had a colleague who became a friend and the best thing about her was that she was always up for doing something. She made time for people. I don't know if I'm just hyper-aware of it but it seemed like so many people couldn't be arsed.
I know exactly what you mean, I’ve had a few chats with people and we’d talk for a few weeks or whatever then like you say I was always instigating conversations, or I tell them something I was doing at the weekend or something and they’d give like the most patronising *okay....* kinda reply then I end up wishing I’d not even bothered messaging them as it makes me feel so rejected and embarrassed 🙈

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Yes, I get what you mean.... the want is there but they've got to want to keep up the conversation. Is there not a kinda mother's and babies/older children group you can join online for a natter with some mother's? I made some friends years ago through Meet Up, but as I said, after getting to know them and being friends for a few years, I discovered very unsavoury things about one or two of them, things turned sour and I had to cut ties, so that was a kick in the teeth as I thought they were decent and I spent time and money meeting up and getting to know them. I might try again once restrictions are lifted, but it makes you wary. I don't mind my own company, but it gets me down not having the option of other friends. 😞

Last edited:
I’m kind of dreading seeing all the pics of people having massive reunions with big gangs of friends after lockdown. Don’t get me wrong, I want lockdown to be over but stuff like that makes it hit home.

Im also someone who dreads getting married due to lack of friends. I’ve been engaged for 8 years but just can’t face it 😬
I feel exactly the same. I get major anxiety when I think about lockdown and ending because I’m scared everyone starts meeting up with all their friends and doing fun things and I’m almost still living a lockdown life. I hope that’s not the case but it gives me severe anxiety just thinking about it

Reactions: 11
I’m same! My other half has loads of friends always on his phone chatting or arranging zooms etc. We got married last year and as I don’t have friends and a small family. We literally invited our mums plus his cousins. I literally 2 friends (mums from the school) and 2 acquaintances that are actually my other halves friends girlfriends. I find that my friendships to do tend to be one sided and revolve around nights out so contacted has been limited unless I instigate it. I was starting to think that it was me and maybe I’m just not a very nice person or I’m unable to form friendships. But I can honestly say, the people I have in my life I would give my last £1 to ensure they had what they needed.

I hit a very low point in my life last summer, as even though I’ve got my children and my other half. I’m not close to my family and don’t feel I have anyone to truly confide in. When me and my half hit a rocky patch I didn’t see a way out and ended up in the hospital. And that was a wake up call to get some
Help, Ive had some counselling and I do feel better as I realise It’s not me and that other people feel the same but I feel so lonely. I would love just to have one best friend to confide in and to keep someone else’s secrets and to have days out, walks etc. I did try bumble friends and made a couple of friends online but with lockdown and not being able to meet it’s kinda come to a stop.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
This thread has spoken to me. it is refreshing to see from our loner perspectives as lots of people appear to have loads of friends and are always posting about it online (#bff kill me now)

I completely enjoy my free time as it is (general hobbies that can be done alone) i have no desire to go out ‘with the girls’ and deal with the general bitchiness of female circles of friends. No thanks!

• Heart
Yes, I get what you mean.... the want is there but they've got to want to keep up the conversation. Is there not a kinda mother's and babies/older children group you can join online for a natter with some mother's? I made some friends years ago through Meet Up, but as I said, after getting to know them and being friends for a few years, I discovered very unsavoury things about one or two of them, things turned sour and I had to cut ties, so that was a kick in the teeth as I thought they were decent and I spent time and money meeting up and getting to know them. I might try again once restrictions are lifted, but it makes you wary. I don't mind my own company, but it gets me down not having the option of other friends. 😞
The mum groups around here are pretty few and far between, I’ve been on a couple of apps which are basically tinder for mums 😂 and I met up with a couple a few times but never clicked, it seemed really forced like we just talked about the kids and because we had kids the same age the kids were always there, so it was more just playing hahaha no deep conversations , I don’t know if that’s my fault maybe it’s a vibe I give off I don’t know, sometimes I get nervous and blank at what to say but generally I’m a nice person ...I think haha
I’ve kind of just given myself the label of loner because I’m so used to just keeping myself to myself unfortunately xx

Just have an alternative wedding, one of my friends went to Las Vegas and got married in a little chapel there. Or just go to the register office yourselves or go to Gretna Greene or something.
Its better to have no friends than bad ones.

• Heart
The mum groups around here are pretty few and far between, I’ve been on a couple of apps which are basically tinder for mums 😂 and I met up with a couple a few times but never clicked, it seemed really forced like we just talked about the kids and because we had kids the same age the kids were always there, so it was more just playing hahaha no deep conversations , I don’t know if that’s my fault maybe it’s a vibe I give off I don’t know, sometimes I get nervous and blank at what to say but generally I’m a nice person ...I think haha
I’ve kind of just given myself the label of loner because I’m so used to just keeping myself to myself unfortunately xx
Oh no, that's a shame - you'd think they'd want some adult laughs and conversations! 🙄 Do you know what? You can get too used to your own company, but I hope once lockdown restrictions are eased you can find a way of meeting new people, but we're here for a natter in the meantime. 😊

I’m same! My other half has loads of friends always on his phone chatting or arranging zooms etc. We got married last year and as I don’t have friends and a small family. We literally invited our mums plus his cousins. I literally 2 friends (mums from the school) and 2 acquaintances that are actually my other halves friends girlfriends. I find that my friendships to do tend to be one sided and revolve around nights out so contacted has been limited unless I instigate it. I was starting to think that it was me and maybe I’m just not a very nice person or I’m unable to form friendships. But I can honestly say, the people I have in my life I would give my last £1 to ensure they had what they needed.

I hit a very low point in my life last summer, as even though I’ve got my children and my other half. I’m not close to my family and don’t feel I have anyone to truly confide in. When me and my half hit a rocky patch I didn’t see a way out and ended up in the hospital. And that was a wake up call to get some
Help, Ive had some counselling and I do feel better as I realise It’s not me and that other people feel the same but I feel so lonely. I would love just to have one best friend to confide in and to keep someone else’s secrets and to have days out, walks etc. I did try bumble friends and made a couple of friends online but with lockdown and not being able to meet it’s kinda come to a stop.
I'm sorry things reached a low, nobody should go through that. 😞 Lockdown has highlighted so many things and has showed up some people for the selfish cretins they really are - out of sight, out of mind, as I've found! I think, in the past, I gave too much in friendships, but I've realised I was giving my love and trust to the wrong people. I moved in with my boyfriend at the start of lockdown, to a completely new borough and area an hour's drive from my parents and my hometown, and haven't had the chance to get to know anyone in the area aside from my neighbour, so once the pubs are back open, I'll look forward to us going to our local restaurant/ for meals and drinks, and I think I'll make a point of going once a week in the hope of building some friendships and having company, I miss going into cafes and bars to sit, eat, drink and people watch as I will talk to anyone (it's the Welsh in me 😂) and miss that interaction.

Last edited:
Ah I feel this extra hard today. A friend from school who I still speak to but we aren't as close as we were - nothing happened, just drifted. She had countless instagram posts that she shared in her stories wishing her happy bday and it just made me feel meh. I know it's not all about social media but it just hit home how I want to make more friends and feel alone. It doesn't help being in the pandemic so I can't even put myself out there and try to meet people.

Reactions: 10
:( I feel you. I don't use social media or anything, but yesterday was my birthday and I didn't hear anything from anyone. My husband took the day off work but spent most of the day dealing with legal stuff and was so annoyed and in a bad mood all damn day. I had a migraine and spend the entire day and night in bed in pain but also feeling so so alone, like who gives a tit about me? No one. I hate birthdays.

Sorry for the self pity

• Heart
  • Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.