Friends constantly going on holidays

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else have friends who are constantly going on holidays? How does it make you feel? I’ve only been away to Italy this year and that was for my birthday whereas some friends have been away 4-5 times. They’re going to exotic places like Africa and India!

I don’t think I’m necessarily jealous because I’ve got no interest in going to these places, and I’m happy for them, but I can’t help but feel rubbish about my life in comparison.

Reactions: 5
Good friend of mine goes on holidays constantly , we earn similar amount of money yet I can’t afford to go on hols five times a year . Recently found out that she owes bank thousands of pounds . Also everyone has different priorities - I’d rather travel less but have nice day to day life treating myself with meals out , shopping trips etc . Most friends that I know who travel a lot are restricting themselves a lot in order to save for those trips .

Reactions: 9
comparison is the thief of joy
It’s true and I know this but how do you stop? 😪

Request to remove
I’m still impressed you can afford that with 3 kids! We have a 2 bed 2 up 2 down that isn’t even £500 per month... the joys of living in the south east! Don’t have flashy cars either. I work for NHS and he’s the breadwinner. Don’t even know how I’m going to afford children, so it would be nice to at least go on holiday

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5
I know exactly how you feel. I think sadly these days alot of people know how to play the system and they do it with no remorse

Reactions: 2
We have friends who are in and out of Marbella several times a year. Then they have one or two luxury holidays (5star hotels etc).
We get abroad once a year, then we usually have a week in the uk with the dog. One of us usually gets a few days away with friends. We alternate years. For Christmas this year we have set a £10 limit for each other and we’re going to try get away for a few days instead. I want to go to Belfast as I’ve never been, so not a big expenditure.
I do get jealous. But, we have a nice house, 2 cars, a kid in private school and I don’t work.
I got really caught up in what everyone else at the school gates had, flash cars, multiple holidays, designer clothes.
Then I went to a family event and realised how everyone else really lives. I’m extremely fortunate. Now when the green eyed monster comes, I try think about what I’d have to give up for that.
2 incomes and state school and we’d be away all the time. That being said, I love my dog so much I cry when I leave her. So even if I could, I don’t think I would.
I know, big softy.

Reactions: 4
I am the friend that is accused of always being on holiday 😂 but I am single and don't have children so my priorities are very different. I also don't drive and live in a comfortable but not flashy house. Travel is my passion and I happily sacrifice swanky things to afford this.

I also try to shop around to get a deal without breaking the bank and mix this up with the nicer breaks I can't do cheaply. For example I went to Spain for 10 days recently but only paid £150 for my flight and just took hand luggage.

You can't compare your life to anyone else's because everyone's circumstances and priorities are different 💕

Reactions: 8
Does anyone else have friends who are constantly going on holidays? How does it make you feel? I’ve only been away to Italy this year and that was for my birthday whereas some friends have been away 4-5 times. They’re going to exotic places like Africa and India!

I don’t think I’m necessarily jealous because I’ve got no interest in going to these places, and I’m happy for them, but I can’t help but feel rubbish about my life in comparison.
I have a couple who go on holiday several times a year, it doesn’t make me feel rubbish I’m happy for them being able to travel the world I work full time ATM so can’t do it but I wanna go self employed in the next year so hopefully I can explore the world more

My flashiest friends are ALWAYS on holiday, always long haul, always top class resorts, I have always wondered how they had enough annual leave let alone how they paid for them as even though they both have good jobs, they spend spend spend.

Well of course it’s all on credit cards, they’re still paying off their (totally OTT) wedding five years later and are severely in debt. I wonder how happy they are underneath it all. They’re trying to live the life of people who earn four times what they do.

My flashiest friends are ALWAYS on holiday, always long haul, always top class resorts, I have always wondered how they had enough annual leave let alone how they paid for them as even though they both have good jobs, they spend spend spend.

Well of course it’s all on credit cards, they’re still paying off their (totally OTT) wedding five years later and are severely in debt. I wonder how happy they are underneath it all. They’re trying to live the life of people who earn four times what they do.
Oh no! That’s not good!!! I always wonder why people spend so much on a wedding day. It’s only one day. My OH and I are actually eloping for our wedding next year to the Caribbean! I have always wanted to go so I thought why not combine it with a wedding + honeymoon. It works out cheaper than getting married in the UK too, and will have 10 days worth of blissful memories.

Credit cards are such slippery slopes. I’ll be getting rid of mine in a couple of months.

Look at the inghams, their constantly on holidays and the lives are shite 😂

Reactions: 7
Since we've had kids, depending on our financial circumstances at the time, we've had the following holidays: Dubai, private villas in Spain, Centerparcs and cheapy Haven caravan holidays. Guess which one we enjoyed the most and would do again and again? The caravan holidays.

Not really sure what my point is, I guess that enjoyment does not always come with thousands of pounds of expenditure. In fact the worst place I've ever been is Bali which many people would have as their dream destination.

We go on holiday about 4-5 times a year, but we are lucky that my family has a few hotels dotted around the world so a lot of the time we only have to pay flights. We never put anything on credit cards. We (or at least my husband as I’m on maternity leave) work 50-60 hour weeks at times as an A&E consultant so he takes that as a time to decompress.

Since we've had kids, depending on our financial circumstances at the time, we've had the following holidays: Dubai, private villas in Spain, Centerparcs and cheapy Haven caravan holidays. Guess which one we enjoyed the most and would do again and again? The caravan holidays.

Not really sure what my point is, I guess that enjoyment does not always come with thousands of pounds of expenditure. In fact the worst place I've ever been is Bali which many people would have as their dream destination.
I agree. Spent my holiday this year crying in the sea, so no one would see me. Hated every minute of it. Cottage 1.5 hours from home, happy as Larry.

Reactions: 4
I feel the same. I'm in my 20's - often I compare myself to friends who still live with parents and have loads of disposable income to go abroad, buy expensive things, always going shopping.

I have a friend who has invited me on an expensive holiday (long haul, expensive hotel) next year for her 30th and when I explained I wouldn't be able to afford it, she wasn't very happy. She said we could book with a travel agent and pay off monthly but she has only given me 6-7 months notice.

She lives with her parents and doesn't drive/have any real outgoings so all her income is hers to spend. I rent my home (with my partner) and I drive so have all the usual bills (rent, gas/electric, council tax, car insurance, home insurance, petrol) which doesn't leave me with a huge amount left over. I'm planning a holiday with my partner next year so obviously my spare cash is going towards saving for that.

Quite frustrating that she doesn't understand that I have other financial commitments and can't drop everything for her birthday. No doubt I'll still feel rubbish when I'm at home and see her pics of the holiday too.

Reactions: 1
To me holidays are a luxury not a necessity. Last year we didn't go on any holidays however this year we have been on 1 and next year having 3 all in this country. I have 3 kids and i find it easier and less hassle to go around this country than it is to go on a plane abroad. We have been abroad to France (via ferry) and as much as it was nice i much prefer staying close to home as 2 of my children don't like aeroplanes and like to have their home comforts - they take after their Dad who wasn't as fortunate to have holidays.
I did take my daughter to Lapland 3 years ago and she loved it but we booked a year in advance and paid monthly installments.
I admit growing up i was well travelled as my parents had a successful business, so we did go abroad and also holiday parks in this country and as much as it was lovely to be able to travel the world for me there's so much of Great Britian we have yet to visit

Reactions: 1
I think we’re those friends 🙈 but you don’t know what’s behind the scenes. Maybe they got a big inheritance, maybe family pay for some of the trips, maybe they get a big bonus, go at the cheapest time of year, they could be in debt, they might never have takeaways and buy all their clothes in the charity shop. We all have priorities 🤷🏻‍♀️ Don’t compare yourself, they probably look at your life and see something they wish they could have 😘

Reactions: 6
I think we’re those friends 🙈 but you don’t know what’s behind the scenes. Maybe they got a big inheritance, maybe family pay for some of the trips, maybe they get a big bonus, go at the cheapest time of year, they could be in debt, they might never have takeaways and buy all their clothes in the charity shop. We all have priorities 🤷🏻‍♀️ Don’t compare yourself, they probably look at your life and see something they wish they could have 😘
Thanks @Elsass