Found £50 on the street, what would you do with it?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was walking through my hometown and found £50 on the street, one £20 and the rest in £10’s. The £20 and two £10’s were wedged together then as I walked further, another £10 was on the road.

I don’t know what to do, wether to hand it in to police or keep it. I went back to see if anyone was looking for it and there wasn’t anyone around!
But hell I feel guilty.
What would you do with it?

Our local little town has a Facebook page and usually people will either post to say they've lost has anyone seen or someone will post to say I've found an amount and if you've lost it get in touch with how much, where etc. Maybe try that?

Reactions: 2
Our local little town has a Facebook page and usually people will either post to say they've lost has anyone seen or someone will post to say I've found an amount and if you've lost it get in touch with how much, where etc. Maybe try that?
I don’t have Facebook 🤦🏻‍♀️

I wouldn’t put it on Facebook or any Tom dick or Harry could claim it and the real, true owner still won’t get it.

If your conscience is really killing you hand it in to the police, if not just keep it providing there is no cctv around as someone may have reported to the p9ice that they have either lost or had their money stolen.

Put a poster up in the vicinity saying you found a sum of money and if anyone’s lost any to contact you - they have to provide the exact amount and the denominations etc
If no one claims it in a day or two I’d give it to charity.

Reactions: 1
I wouldn’t put it on Facebook or any Tom dick or Harry could claim it and the real, true owner still won’t get it.

If your conscience is really killing you hand it in to the police, if not just keep it providing there is no cctv around as someone may have reported to the p9ice that they have either lost or had their money stolen.
That’s a thought, I don’t know if there’s any cameras there.
It’s a difficult one 😫😖
I remember losing £30 once, but as soon as I knew I’d lost it I just thought no point in trying to look for it cause soon as any money is found, it’s soon picked up by someone!

If you really feel guilty pay it forward,
Do something with it that benefits someone you love,
But honestly handing it in anywhere, god knows where it goes.
I feel the same about charity tbh,
If you have no idea who it could belong to just use it to benefit someone you love and move on.

Reactions: 4
Put a poster up in the vicinity saying you found a sum of money and if anyone’s lost any to contact you - they have to provide the exact amount and the denominations etc
If no one claims it in a day or two I’d give it to charity.

To add,
I once lost £40 - it was literally the last £40 I had. I was completely broke. I needed the money to buy a train ticket and I lost it between the cash point and the train station, I was in bits. I re-traced my steps in a panic and while looking around on the pavement a lady approached me and asked if I was ok, I explained I had lost some money. She asked how much/when did I loose it etc - she then said that she had found £40 on the pavement 10 minutes before and handed me my money back.

I’ve never ever forgotten that lady or the feeling of relief and gratitude for her honesty.

Try to get it back to its owner - it may not seem like a lot but you never know what that £50 means to them.

Reactions: 14
I did go
To add,
I once lost £40 - it was literally the last £40 I had. I was completely broke. I needed the money to buy a train ticket and I lost it between the cash point and the train station, I was in bits. I re-traced my steps in a panic and while looking around on the pavement a lady approached me and asked if I was ok, I explained I had lost some money. She asked how much/when did I loose it etc - she then said that she had found £40 on the pavement 10 minutes before and handed me my money back.

I’ve never ever forgotten that lady or the feeling of relief and gratitude for her honesty.

Try to get it back to its owner - it may not seem like a lot but you never know what that £50 means to them.
there was no one around when I found it, when I went back, there wasn’t anyone looking for it.

After taking all reasonable steps to find the owner, honestly I would keep it. I'd probably donate most of it to a charity close to my heart, that I know actually uses the money as opposed to paying CEOs big bonuses.
If you're short on money yourself, consider it a gift from the universe and keep it all. Handing it to the police sadly doesn't guarantee the police won't keep it!
I lost a wallet with a considerable amount of money in it once, I was very lucky that a) it had a form of ID b) somebody very honest handed it in at the police station.

Reactions: 4
My first thought was I'd finally get my daughter the new shoes she needs that we can't afford.

I'd love to think I would try to find the owner but my first thought would definitely be selfish.

I once found £170 on the street, just dropped in a big clump. I handed it into the police but no one claimed it, so I got to keep it! 😁 this is my all time luckiest moment lol

Reactions: 5
I think since you said you did try to find someone but no one was around, maybe just keep it or if you feel guilty, hand it in to the police or donate it to a charity.
I know you said you don't have Facebook, but I think advertising that you found some lost money...who knows who could contact you or if they're actually being truthful. I guess it would be different if they'd dropped their purse/wallet and it had ID in it.

I’d wait a while to see if anyone comes back looking for it. Then if not I’d go to the nearest charity shop or homeless person and give it to them.