Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am starving. I have a surgery tomorrow for endo and I have to fast, only having liquids today as it includes a sigmoidoscopy :(

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
Take care and look after yourself xx I know it isn't that simple but try not to let her get to you, she is incredibly manipulative with her triggering content at times. Always here to welcome you back with open arms if you need to step away for a while ❤
Thank you for your kindness, I am back again.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I am starving. I have a surgery tomorrow for endo and I have to fast, only having liquids today as it includes a sigmoidoscopy :(
sending lots of love and good energy for your surgery, I know it’s the last thing you want to think of now but post surgery food does bang in a different type of way so you have that to look forward to! That tea and buttery toast 🤤 Their chocolate cake is actually alright, sticky toffee pudding probs on par with Jack’s offering so dodge at all costs x let us know how you get on!

Not on the topic of food but has anyone watched that missguided documentary? Full body cringe worthy

Reactions: 11
For the fraus that need it - this is what all my heart reactions are, shame I can't send care bears to you all, they seem pretty cool. I was more into the Moomins and Pippi Longstocking - I wanted to be as unafraid of life as her and Little My :)

Today I went to a Mexican cookery class which was splendid. We made SO MUCH FOOD, luckily they asked us to bring in lots of boxes to take it all home in, the photo below is only what we made before lunch (and doesn't include the pumpkin empanadas we made for pudding). I didn't really know anything about Mexican food so it was a joy. There were only 7 pupils in the class (two couples and three singles) and we all wore face shields so that the risk of rona was less. I can't believe how delicious and fresh tasting something I've made is. It was from 9:30 to 4 and I could've happily had a nap afterwards I was so knackered :D

For my dinner I had the queso fundido dip we made in the afternoon and my own tortilla chips. The little potato looking things on top of the tortillas are my little corn breads. I've laminated all the recipe cards that they gave us so I can make them at home. I make a terrible mess when I'm cooking, I don't know how other people don't, I seem to always end up covered in flour and sauce without any idea how.

We made:

Country beans
Pico de Gallo salsa
Diablo hot sauce (I didn't put anything like as much chilli in as anyone else)
Marinated steak
Avocado sauce
Potatoes in green chillies with cheese
Tortillas
Cornbreads
Chicken mole (the chef teacher had pre-made the sauce for this one, fine by me as I hate nuts, I gave it to my mum and dad)
Pumpkin empanadas
String beans with eggs
Nopales salsa
Nachos
Enchiladas

I have a fridge filled with food for DAYS. Very happy. The teacher was excellent too which always makes a big difference.

Has anyone else been to any cookery school type workshops that they enjoyed? I've always fancied doing them on holidays but never taken the plunge yet...

View attachment 212988
This looks and sounds absolutely delicious!
I did the fish and seafood course here which was really good https://www.foodat52.co.uk/
You make a 3 course meal and they show you how to prep squid and prepare whole fish. You eat the food as you go and the wine is bottomless - as much booze as you can take, sharp knives and slippery fish...what could possibly go wrong?! Was really good fun and I cook a lot more fish now I know what I’m doing.

I’m on holiday and waiting for chips. Massive queue so I thought I’d have a browse in the deli next door. There were no other customers in there so I panic bought a lump of cheese, only to realise it was 12 quid when she put it through the till 😭. I was too embarrassed to say I didn’t want it so had to pretend that this was all totally normal and I often spend that much on single items of dairy produce. I think it’s going to rain tomorrow and for the next 6 days, to add insult to injury.
Well done for brazening out the cheese. I popped into Selfridges food hall last yr to get a treat for Mr Bookweevil (bumped into Jack manning the 81p organic chicken stall obvs). I got a small tub of octopus salad (about 3 spoonfuls) from the deli counter. It was impossible to tell how much it was, but the portion was so small I didn’t think it would break the bank. The price was discreetly stuck on the bottom of the tub so as I looked at it surreptitiously as I headed towards the till and nearly fell over when I saw it was £18. I had to find a fridge, feign interest in an overpriced chicken salad and unsubtly unload the octopus.

My SIL has a habit of taking my phone and scrolling through my photos - I was really conscious of keeping my phone out of sight when they were here as gawd knows what she would have thought of the combo of Vlad in an ice pool, a Flumps, a spoonful of jam, random horses, and many other delights 😂
Who is this monster?! I once heard true friendship defined as someone who would never swipe left when you showed them a photo on your phone 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
sending lots of love and good energy for your surgery, I know it’s the last thing you want to think of now but post surgery food does bang in a different type of way so you have that to look forward to! That tea and buttery toast 🤤 Their chocolate cake is actually alright, sticky toffee pudding probs on par with Jack’s offering so dodge at all costs x let us know how you get on!

Not on the topic of food but has anyone watched that missguided documentary? Full body cringe worthy
Yes me. Last week. I am still thinking about it occasionally and doing an all over shudder. I don't understand anything about it all, it feels like an advertorial, but in the last couple of days I've been wondering if C4 have been cleverer than that, because my overriding lasting impression is of a company run to employ young, ambitious and passionate women, but probably pay them under the going rate, while working them incredibly long, hard hours because they have been given an 'opportunity'. Plus the whole cosying up to influencers gives me the shivers anyway. Or maybe it's just a cheap program to make and I am giving the creators much more credit than they deserve for making something secretly subversive. Either way, vast parts of it baffled me and made me feel old.

ETA: and it doesn't even (yet) really touch on the ethics of fast fashion, a cheery mention of things being shipped from China, but nothing on sustainability, corporate responsibility or any of that. Or lack of BAME women in the senior positions.

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious!
I did the fish and seafood course here which was really good https://www.foodat52.co.uk/
You make a 3 course meal and they show you how to prep squid and prepare whole fish. You eat the food as you go and the wine is bottomless - as much booze as you can take, sharp knives and slippery fish...what could possibly go wrong?! Was really good fun and I cook a lot more fish now I know what I’m doing.
I learnt (from a book) how to prep whole fish and other sea-dwelling creatures years ago. It is a fun skill. Funny, I hadn't thought about it for ages, but my partner bought whole sea bream for dinner last Friday so I got to impress him with my knife wielding skills. As I'm generally known for my impressive clumsiness he hovered far nearer than I thought was flattering, but maybe he was just mesmerised by my unexpected talent.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Anyhow, just wanted to shout that into the ether. JM segue whiplash styleee, what’s your fave nostalgic picnic food?

I love the way the sandwiches went slightly warm after a few hours in the car/Dad’s bag. Sandwiches from shops are downright cold nowadays.
I loved going on picnics with my grandparents. A typical picnic consisted of a flask of tea, a flask of Ribena, boiled eggs with little sachets of salt to dip (fancy), cheese, ham, cucumber and chicken sandwiches with lettuce and Heinz salad cream, tiny sausage rolls and strawberry jam tarts. Now I am hungry ;)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I feel a bit of a saddo for posting my holiday breakfast but it had the very fancy 12 quid cheese on it and looked pretty so I couldn’t resist. (2 seconds later a wasp came over and my husband pointed out a dead bird under the table so back to reality..)

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Watch out Fraus, I’ve found the holy grail of pastries......

ARE YOU READY? Everybody say “yes” and I will reveal

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
YES!
BUT! Do you wish to unveil said big reveal in this thread or the new one?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I think it could be a good opener for the new thread 🤣
Ok, on it 😂

New thread!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.