Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Raker , love a wee mooch round Dunnes when I'm home.

My first job was at Dunnes after school and saturdays, had to wear the blue and white nylon dress and tights, lost count of how many static shocks I got each bloody night but loved it when it was my turn with the price gun:LOL:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Fraus I have cooked a proper meal - it’s only chilli con carne but I’m right proud of myself. Still feeling a bit bad in the old head, @colouredlines you look fab and I so related to the head/food mess up. You’re my idol for getting on with other things and letting the overthinking slide to the point you’ve got into your lovely dress x

& also I think it was @peperomia who I read talking about self image and I really relate too.I’ve been exhausted by the negative voice in my head recently and I also don’t have a secure self image, it was nice to read how I feel and know I’m not alone x

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Wise Fraus, my courgettes are just about to hit their peak, any inspiring things I can do with them? It isn't something we really ever eat but I grow them as they're usually successful. They just end up ribboned in a stir fry at the mo.
I have made this courgette soup today: Link - disclaimer: i am not a wise Frau :)

Reactions: 8
@Raker , love a wee mooch round Dunnes when I'm home.

My first job was at Dunnes after school and saturdays, had to wear the blue and white nylon dress and tights, lost count of how many static shocks I got each bloody night but loved it when it was my turn with the price gun:LOL:
Ah sure, they’re all pretty chic now with the black uniforms 🤣

the kids stuff is amazing, but I’m obsessed with the Helen James considered home range — I’ve bought the book and everything 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Ah sure, they’re all pretty chic now with the black uniforms 🤣

the kids stuff is amazing, but I’m obsessed with the Helen James considered home range — I’ve bought the book and everything 💕
I seriously don’t think you can beat Dunnes.

• Heart
@Alansbigplate excellent work! I also like to take the crescent of crisps concept and mix up and apply to other foods, e.g. bowl of yoghurt with a crescent of linseed etc.

Sorry you have the same feelings but glad you felt you could relate <3
I try to hold on to the fact that I couldn't possibly look as bad/strange as I think . I do spend a lot of time stressing about what 'reality' actually is.

I have also found that the more I understand about some of the neurological mechanisms of some of these symptoms I am able to remove some of the attachment to how I am feeling and take a lot of comfort in this.

I have found the following books very helpful:
The Inner World Of Trauma - Donald Kalsched
The Body Keeps The Score - Bessel van der Kolk
Hallucinations - Oliver Sacks (I really enjoy all of his work )

These books are not focused on specific disorders and just generally helpful as a positive voice in the ear:
101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think - Brianna Wiest
You Are A Badass - Jen Sincero

I prefer audiobooks, and they can also be played generally in the background. I try to take this osmosis type approach as I require constant input to stay conscious in this respect, it isn't natural to me.
I'm really careful about what media I consume, and avoid reading or watching anything that I might find stressful and save my reserves for my day to day problems.
I just try to cram in as much appropriately constructive positive content around this.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Wise Fraus, my courgettes are just about to hit their peak, any inspiring things I can do with them? It isn't something we really ever eat but I grow them as they're usually successful. They just end up ribboned in a stir fry at the mo.
Ah, I've shared both of these already but - this is great if you have loads of veg and you don't think you'll be able to eat them immediately - it keeps in the fridge for a week or so and can be used in salad / with lentils / pasta etc or just on their own with nice bread or whatever https://ouritaliantable.com/pickled-vegetables-verdure-in-scapece/
And this is one of my fave pastas, sorry, I can't remember if you're veggie or not (it uses bacon, maybe you can use a substitute if you don't eat meat?) - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/creamy-courgette-bacon-pasta

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I've just read an article from the BBC news about a fox in Berlin which had a shoe fetish and had stolen hundreds of shoes. It was found with a pair of flip flops in its mouth.
Re. food, I've just chomped through a punnet of black seedless grapes without realising and am going to have a bleeping humdinger of a churning belly soon 🥴
I love the fact they term is as a fetish 😂😂😂😂 this has made my Saturday

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I seriously don’t think you can beat Dunnes.
Sure, I’ve just been into Dunnes myself for a bit of food shopping with Mr A. I never really look at the home stuff, but I will the next time I go in if this Helen James range is that good.

• Heart
I made a really basic pasta for lunch this week, just pan fried courgettes and cherry tomatoes with some chilli and garlic. Chucked some broccoli in with the pasta towards the end and made a bit of a sauce with a little pasta water and nutritional yeast. (I’m vegan but you could always use creme fraiche) Salt and “plenty of black pepper” it was nice. All the veg came from my garden which I’m thrilled about being new to growing and not that great at it.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
All the veg came from my garden which I’m thrilled about being new to growing and not that great at it.
I'm planning on moving in the next year or so (depending on being able to get a mortgage again) and I dream of having a little yard or garden to grow veg in. Your post made me think of my dear mum who used to get so excited feeding us kids things like "runner beans from the garden! courgettes from the garden!" for dinner and my brother and I really didn't care. I wish I could go back and show her a bit more enthusiasm. I'm lucky in that she's still here and I can visit and help her pick veg in her garden now (and she even lets me take some of it home).

Nobody is great at anything when they first start, but I'm sure your veg is both growing happily and delicious.

For now I'll be happy helping my mum, and following Monty Don on Instagram :D

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Thank you this is so useful, I’ve saved it. I also prefer audiobooks and the osmosis approach! I think I’ve been confused over how I look since I was a child and it’s very exhausting constantly feeling the need to change or control the narrative around it. I don’t understand it but I know that I don’t look in reality how I think I do and I’ve had a lot of criticism/commentary in my life on the external that’s made me feel it’s more important than it actually is. If I’m suddenly confronted unexpectedly with comments or photos it can really shake my sense of self and well being. It’s like Alice through the looking glass, everything is different in my head to what’s reflected back at me, so I don’t trust my perception of other things too. I wish I could just get through a day without thinking about it.
Babe, same! All of the above. The thing I have found most helpful is therapy but I'm on a break til I have a job again. My therapist is primarily a Gestalt therapist, which in itself is an integrative type of psychotherapy.
He is also qualified in
• Gestalt Psychotherapist (MA and UKCP registered Gestalt Therapist)
• EMDR (fully trained EMDR therapist)
• Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
• Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
• Mentalisation Based Therapy
• Attachment Theory
• Systemic Constellations
• Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (level 1)
• Schema Therapy
• Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
• Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)

He uses elements of all of these in his approach, and that will vary between clients obvs. We worked up to beginning EMDR over a year and a half and I have done one session of this in addition to my regular sessions. I believe he is an exceptional psychotherapist, and that we are a very good match, but I have made incredible progress and that is due to the Gestalt approach.

I made a really basic pasta for lunch this week, just pan fried courgettes and cherry tomatoes with some chilli and garlic. Chucked some broccoli in with the pasta towards the end and made a bit of a sauce with a little pasta water and nutritional yeast. (I’m vegan but you could always use creme fraiche) Salt and “plenty of black pepper” it was nice. All the veg came from my garden which I’m thrilled about being new to growing and not that great at it.
I love using nutritional yeast for things like this. I love making a weird paste from nutritional yeast, lemon, veg bouillon and Econa hot sauce and using it to coat cauliflower and roasting.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Made these today, fraus. Did some baking. They’re kind of a cross between a scone and a cookie (they don’t have as much sugar in as cookies and I add milk, so they’re more scone-y in texture).
I like to call them S’come On, cos maverick, innit.
View attachment 199030
Snarfle, snarfle, or some other Jackism that sounds like the BFG.

T’Mother thread is going weird again. Maybe we’re all just Jacked out though. I’m still hot and (⚠Triangulation warning⚠) we never got the thunderstorms to cool down.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Babe, same! All of the above. The thing I have found most helpful is therapy but I'm on a break til I have a job again. My therapist is primarily a Gestalt therapist, which in itself is an integrative type of psychotherapy.
He is also qualified in
• Gestalt Psychotherapist (MA and UKCP registered Gestalt Therapist)
• EMDR (fully trained EMDR therapist)
• Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
• Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
• Mentalisation Based Therapy
• Attachment Theory
• Systemic Constellations
• Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (level 1)
• Schema Therapy
• Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
• Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)

He uses elements of all of these in his approach, and that will vary between clients obvs. We worked up to beginning EMDR over a year and a half and I have done one session of this in addition to my regular sessions. I believe he is an exceptional psychotherapist, and that we are a very good match, but I have made incredible progress and that is due to the Gestalt approach.

I love using nutritional yeast for things like this. I love making a weird paste from nutritional yeast, lemon, veg bouillon and Econa hot sauce and using it to coat cauliflower and roasting.
Wow it’s so good you’ve found the right therapist, I’ll look some of that up xx

Made these today, fraus. Did some baking. They’re kind of a cross between a scone and a cookie (they don’t have as much sugar in as cookies and I add milk, so they’re more scone-y in texture).
I like to call them S’come On, cos maverick, innit.
View attachment 199030
s’come on 🤣 I could just eat one of those with a glass of milk nom (2012 alert!)

Snarfle, snarfle, or some other Jackism that sounds like the BFG.

T’Mother thread is going weird again. Maybe we’re all just Jacked out though. I’m still hot and (⚠Triangulation warning⚠) we never got the thunderstorms to cool down.
it’s been weird here rainy but warm not sunbathing weather. I’m not sure I can be arsed reading any more mother, It’s repetitive but i think that’s her cycles and then people are new to it and the revelations are what we’ve been through already

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm back on the home baking because of the cottage guests. I do homemade Hobnobs, which go down pretty well, and are sufficiently idiotproof that I can make them at 7am on a Saturday morning while still half asleep.

125g oats
125g butter
125g self-raising flour
125g caster sugar
1 dessert spoon golden syrup
quarter teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda

Melt the butter and golden syrup together with a dessert spoon of water.

Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Pour melted butter into dry ingredients, mix together well.

Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Take teaspoons of mix, roll into balls and flatten with a fork so you get discs just under an inch wide. Bake at 170C fan for 13 minutes and leave to cool on the trays. Makes about 30. You can also mix nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips or whatever into them.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I'm back on the home baking because of the cottage guests. I do homemade Hobnobs, which go down pretty well, and are sufficiently idiotproof that I can make them at 7am on a Saturday morning while still half asleep.

125g oats
125g butter
125g self-raising flour
125g caster sugar
1 dessert spoon golden syrup
quarter teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda

Melt the butter and golden syrup together with a dessert spoon of water.

Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Pour melted butter into dry ingredients, mix together well.

Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Take teaspoons of mix, roll into balls and flatten with a fork so you get discs just under an inch wide. Bake at 170C fan for 13 minutes and leave to cool on the trays. Makes about 30. You can also mix nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips or whatever into them.
if i send you my home address (or you find it through triangulation 😂) can you send me some??

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Whhhhhhy does it always feel that the Mother Thread is hanging by a, uh, thread? You start thinking everyone is on the same page and then BOOM, it all goes to tit again.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.