Fleur De Force #6 To Buy or not Dubai

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If a priveleged white woman calls out a non-white woman in this way on social media then race has everything to do with it. Racism isn't a 'card to play'. It's real and white people need to learn to recognise their own biases. There's clearly a lack of understanding about what racism IS, because it isn't always intentional or thought out.

The appropriate thing for F.D.F to do would be to contact the magazine directly and privately and, if she has copyright on FDF, this would be settled between them with no direct impact on Fleur East. As it stands, FDF has chosen to call out Fleur East on something that isn't her responsibility in a very public way, knowing that there will be some degree of hate directed at her as a result.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
OK I get that fleur de force is not a literal French translation for 'flower power' but is it slang for flower power? Genuine question. When I put fleur de force into Google translate it translates as 'flower power' and I always thought that's where Fleur got the name.

Fleur has trademarked the term 'Fleur De Force,' sure, but if it's a French translation then how exactly can she have a problem with a magazine using the words? As Fleur East said, you can't trademark a language. Of course, it's a different story if another YouTuber comes on the scene and calls herself 'Fleur De Force.' I can see how she'd have a problem with that!

Anyway, it seems as though even Fleur herself can't get the story behind her name right. Somebody upthread said Fleur picked the name as a play on 'tour de force.' No mention of that here. Chances are she saw 'FDF' somewhere and 'stole' it for herself. Ha! Also, loving how Fleur's mission statement is to 'stay honest.' Hows's that going for ya, Dubai-gate?

View attachment 714328
Nike trademarked Just Do It. It all depends on context.

Reactions: 1
I think fame/status comes into it way more than race for Fleur.

I think the issue is she sees herself as more ‘famous’ than Fleur East, so doesn’t like that she’s associated with her in that way - if it was a white artist that she also interpreted as below her on the ladder I believe that she would act the same way. In the same way that I believe if it was someone who she perceived as ‘better’ than her she’d see it as a compliment, regardless of whether the artist is black or white.

As far as I’m aware, we haven’t seen any evidence that Fleur is racist, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to suggest that there is some snobbery/prejudice involved, though I’d be more likely to suggest that it’s because FE came from reality TV (v.low brow for FDF), rather than because she’s black.

Reactions: 12
If a priveleged white woman calls out a non-white woman in this way on social media then race has everything to do with it. Racism isn't a 'card to play'. It's real and white people need to learn to recognise their own biases. There's clearly a lack of understanding about what racism IS, because it isn't always intentional or thought out.

The appropriate thing for F.D.F to do would be to contact the magazine directly and privately and, if she has copyright on FDF, this would be settled between them with no direct impact on Fleur East. As it stands, FDF has chosen to call out Fleur East on something that isn't her responsibility in a very public way, knowing that there will be some degree of hate directed at her as a result.
Agree. Does it mean she had a known racist intention behind it, maybe but maybe not. BUT the fact that she called FE out over the magazine says it all.

Is FDF outwardly racist...well only those around her know so we cannot say she categorically is. However microagression racism exists and this is an unintentional case of it. Had she of done the mature thing and called out the magazine none (or only a small amount) of her stans would have gone to FE's page. It's really not brain science, so for those that can't see that this is a microagression are blind to the problem. You don't have to call someone of colour a racist name for to be deemed as having an intentional or unintentional racist motive.

Reactions: 15
What was everybody saying last year? It is not enough to not be racist. You have to actively be ANTI RACIST. I would perhaps include within that, not attacking a WOC for something beyond her control. Using it an an opportunity for women to support women rather than tearing them down.

What is the actual negative impact on FDF of this headline being used? Nothing. So was it really worth sending her minions after a black women who got a magazine cover she was probably really proud of? Not in my opinion. I get that technically there is a breach of trademark but this could have been dealt with by lawyers privately. I don’t begrudge Fleur her right to enforce the trademark but I do judge her for her choices in how to deal with this situation.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I don’t agree with what Fleur did at all. She should have dealt with the magazine for starters.

But there are all kinds of unfounded assertions flying around on this thread & the racism conversation was started on this thread originally by someone blindly asserting that Fleur is “probably a racist”. I think that is highly problematic.

There isn’t any evidence that Fleur wouldn’t have done this to a white influencer.

Reactions: 22
Her fans are something else! Who do they think she is?! Genuinely baffled anyone would think Fabulous magazine would know who FdF is! I watched her on YT for a few years a while back, I can honestly say I have never seen her in mainstream press, she’s not the Queen of beauty bloggers. So so weird!

I don’t agree with what Fleur did at all. She should have dealt with the magazine for starters.

But there are all kinds of unfounded assertions flying around on this thread & the racism conversation was started on this thread originally by someone blindly asserting that Fleur is “probably a racist”. I think that is highly problematic.

There isn’t any evidence that Fleur wouldn’t have done this to a white influencer.
But that doesn’t mean you can say an action may have been racially motivated, or that it appears that way. People don’t like to hear it but you can be unconsciously racist, she may not think she was being racist or that her actions were influenced by race but that doesn’t mean they’re not.

Attachments

Reactions: 8

People like you irritate the hell out of me. Not everyone is a flipping racist. Such gaslighting is irresponsible & damaging.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22

Whether she would have or not is besides the point. She called out a woc for something beyond her control. If she would have done it to a white person no it wouldn't be called racist for obvious reasons but she would be called other names.

Facts are facts calling out a woc for something that isn't thier fault over calling out the magazine is a microagression regardless if she would have done the same thing to a white person.

Side note: I'm not calling FDF racist as I have no proof that she is but what she did was a microagression plain and simple

Reactions: 11
The comments on the Fabulous magazine page are so sycophantic - if you’ve never heard of some YT beauty blogger how the eff would you think ‘maybe I should google this phrase and check it’s not trademarked’ mistakes happen. I know Fleur isn’t using it as a play on ‘tour de force’ but surely that’s the most likely thing to have happened here by the magazine? I just find it laughable the expectation FdF is so well known that this just shouldn’t have happened.

Attachments

Reactions: 3
When the magazine was published FDF had a few choices.

1.Deal with privately via lawyers
2. Publicly call out the publication
3. Publicly call out the person the article was about (who by the way, did not write the headline).

Take a look at those options. If Fleur East had been white, then calling her out would’ve been a crappy thing to do. The fact that she is black, being confronted by a white woman (whites are automatically in a position of privilege due to the way our society has evolved) actually feeds systemic racism. So the motive may not be racist, but the outcome is enforcing racism. That is not to say any POC is above fair criticism, but when they’re being attacked for something that isn’t even their fault, and that perpetuates a racist system, then I would say it is pretty prejudice and just highlights FDF’s white privilege.

This article explains things really well

• Heart
Reactions: 19

100% agree racism is real. I also need to correct my own language I meant that we don’t have evidence of Fleur’s mental state encompassing intention & unconscious bias.

But otherwise I don’t agree with your first paragraph. Candice Owens has said some rather inflammatory things about women who aren’t mothers apparently (I saw it on an infertility page), if a privileged white woman calls her out is that racism?

Reactions: 4
You people are nuts. You’re literally questioning someone’s sanity by saying they don’t know why they’ve done something.
Im not questioning someone’s sanity! I’m not nuts either that’s derogatory language. An action can be racist even if the person isn’t. Have you never heard of unconscious bias?

I
100% agree racism is real. I also need to correct my own language I meant that we don’t have evidence of Fleur’s mental state encompassing intention & unconscious bias.

But otherwise I don’t agree with your first paragraph. Candice Owens has said some rather inflammatory things about women who aren’t mothers apparently (I saw it on an infertility page), if a privileged white woman calls her out is that racism?
I think the point here is that FDF calling out Fleur East is not justified given that the fault lays with Fabulous magazine. Calling out a WOC for something is fine if they’ve actually done something wrong!

Reactions: 13
but look at what the post I responded to actually said. That’s my point - I take issue with general language and unfounded assertions.
I think you’ve missed a key bit in the post you quoted - in this way. Fleur doing it in this way is what’s problematic, not necessarily that she is doing it at all (albeit her issue should be with the magazine and not Fleur East!)

Reactions: 4
It doesn’t matter how wealthy you are, people either have class or no class and Fleur is clearly lacking.
I hope this hasn’t put a dampener on FE excitement over the cover. Pretty gross thing to publicly go after the individual who has no say in the cover line rather than privately contacting the magazine.

I’m assuming she hasn’t paid for the trademark? Good on Fleur East for sticking up for it.

E7A8C5DF-9CBB-4315-8D94-6DBA842A2BFC.jpeg
Trademark is available to use.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I’m assuming she hasn’t paid for the trademark? Good on Fleur East for sticking up for it.

View attachment 714990Trademark is available to use.
Don’t know what website that is but there’s a few that show it is registered to her

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.