First time abroad

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm in my early 30s and I haven't been abroad since I was around 8. I'm now wanting to brave a holiday abroad with my preschooler and just turned teenager.
I literally have no idea where to start!
Can anybody recommend destinations? Places to avoid? Who to book with? I literally have no idea what I'm doing, I'm overwhelmed trawling through all the websites 🥲.
Thank you to anyone who is able to help ❤

You’re best off getting a package deal because you will be covered for everything should things go wrong. They will sort the flights, hotel, transports etc issues out which won’t happen if you’ve done it separately. They are also atol protected.
Make sure you have travel insurace before booking so anything that goes wrong will be covered.
If you see a hotel you like check trip advisor before you book it. Obviously take some reviews with a pinch of salt but if all of the reviews are bad then you can avoid.

What sort of holiday are you looking for? Resort? City break? Week/fortnight/weekend?
Could you nip into a travel agent and ask them some questions/gage what’s out there? You don’t have to book but they will know.

Second the package deal, so much easier having everything sorted for you.

I tend to book packages online but the high street travel agents where you can go in and chat will probably be more helpful because you can ask as many questions as you want and they’ll walk you through everything. Hays Travel have a lot of branches and good reputation.

Personally I would look at family friendly resorts in Spain, not too long a flight, most people speak English, easy enough to pick up food/drinks/supplies in the local shops if you forget anything, resort pools tend to be decent and other kids around for yours to play with if they wish to! Then branch out further once you feel more confident!

And well done for being brave!

Definitely recommend onthebeach to book with 😁. I love Majorca it’s a nice short flight and never had any issues there when I’ve been. And always check tripadvisor for the reviews. You can search certain words in the tripadvisor reviews to see what people say about certain things, I always do this with food when looking at all inclusive

I think when booking a package it’s much easier to book trips in person rather than online.

If I’m going away in Europe I tend to book everything myself individually (though wouldn’t recommend for your first trip) but for further afield trips I’ve always gone to a travel agent and sat down with the experts. Much nicer experience and you’ll come away feeling much more confident about what you’ve booked!

I think when booking a package it’s much easier to book trips in person rather than online.

If I’m going away in Europe I tend to book everything myself individually (though wouldn’t recommend for your first trip) but for further afield trips I’ve always gone to a travel agent and sat down with the experts. Much nicer experience and you’ll come away feeling much more confident about what you’ve booked!
I feel the opposite, I much prefer to book online as you can look at other travellers reviews rather that just the travel agent who is just trying to sell whatever

Reactions: 1
I feel the opposite, I much prefer to book online as you can look at other travellers reviews rather that just the travel agent who is just trying to sell whatever
I think it depends what your worries are! Speaking to a person makes me feel much more confident than reading online trip advisor reviews.

I think it depends what your worries are! Speaking to a person makes me feel much more confident than reading online trip advisor reviews.
I just believe reviews from people who have actually been and experienced it rather than someone trying to sell it who probably has never been

Reactions: 3
Deffo package book online (tui etc..)somewhere like Spain, Portugal, Cyprus, turkey. Favourite the ones you like the look of the most, then compare and search them on trip advisor to see what people are saying. As the above poster says, I wouldn’t personally go to a travel agent for a trip like this, as they’re just trying to sell you a holiday. If you were doing something more exotic, going further afield, or doing something with a lot of logistics then I might be more inclined to speak to them but for a trip like this just use your common sense ☺

Never book a package, always book flights and accommodation myself. That way you usually don't have to pay accommodation until you get there. Just book your transfer also and there will be someone waiting to collect you at airport to bring you direct to hotel / apartments.

Reactions: 1
I am an ex holiday rep/travel agent. DEFINITELY book a package, you get much more security if something goes wrong, trust me. I had people crying to me in resort to help them as they had booked separately to save a few quid and then had no package benefits like accommodation if flight is cancelled etc.

I must agree I wouldn't bother with a travel agent either, stick to TUI or Jet2 packages so you don't get overwhelmed and book online. Travel agents are great but they are also always looking to make a sale.

Stick to Majorca maybe to start. Tui family resorts are normally excellent facility wise.

Reactions: 4
Another vote for a package. Booking separately might cost less but you don't have the same protections. Also means 1 booking reference, 1 company to deal with if something goes wrong etc.

Menorca or Majorca are short flights and have the option of either self catering or all inclusive/half board etc.

Definitely check trip advisor. Just remember that unless people are prolific posters there will be hundreds of people who visit, have a great time and never post. I have been on at least one package holiday a year for the last 15 years but have never left a review. Some people are just fussy! But pay attention if the same themes pop up in the bad reviews.

I wouldn't trust a sales person aka a travel agent to give an honest opinion of a hotel they have probably never set foot in.

Reactions: 2
I think it depends what kind of holiday you are after. Beach holiday? Book yourself directly with the hotel and airline or make it easier by getting a package holiday. Portugal, Spain is great for this sort of holiday.
More cultured and active holiday? Why not try group travel where a lot of activities are pre-planned but you can pick and choose if you want to join.

If you give more of an idea what you are after I can make recommendations