Feathering the empty nest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to enjoy following her and admired all the charity work that she and her husband did. But God, her page has become so dull now. She had a new kitchen. Great, it's a beautiful kitchen but it's all we hear about!! Gifted this, ad that. It's almost as if she's running out of content. I really wish these companies would start gifting to people who are genuinely in need - the fact that she is privileged enough to not need to work (I am sure her husband works very hard and that is a great thing) suggests that she does not fall into the category of being in need. Yet she keeps being given more and more stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I agree, i really enjoyed her content and am still so sad for what she had to go through and its great she is raising awareness of these sort of things, but she is just becoming another insta ‘mum’ now, constant ads and boring kitchen content.

Reactions: 8
She’s a published writer, and does amazing work for charity and raising awareness. I can imagine that her own blog and ‘ads’ create her sufficient finances to support her own lifestyle and she is not dependent on her husband. I find her stories entertaining, and really admire her positive attitude. I hope that one day she is able to have children.
That being said I am slightly ad/kitchen fatigued. I can’t bare the beige kitchen unit on the beige wall! The room is beautiful but the units and the wall melt in to one!!!

Reactions: 13
I do like Elle and she does make me laugh. I'm not wild about the dropping £150 on a Boden dress every now and again, which I cannot relate to at all, but she does balance that out with stuff from H&M and Zara. Her #ad content isn't even that bad. But I do feel it is very wrong of her to accept so many freebies when she can more than bleeping afford it. I don't mind the jewellery, candles and tit like that but it's the really big stuff I object to.

Her husband works very long hours and very hard no doubt - he's a trader in oil commodities and must earn conservatively £200,000 a year (probably a lot more with bonuses) and he's obviously from serious money looking at his parent's houses - and she's had best selling book published purely on the back of her Instagram account. It wasn't that good - most of it was lifted from her blog and I did not agree with the shaming of the people who didn't act how she thought they should when her son died especially one of her friends.

Her new kitchen extension must have cost at least £100,000 and most of that appears to have been bought and paid for - fair enough - but she did accept a washing machine from AO which cost over £1,000 when I checked the model. That really fucked me off. And the Wimbledon tickets! You want to go to Wimbledon? Pay for it yourself! Probably doesn't even like tennis.

It's the same old story. Money goes to money. Gifted stuff goes to people who can more than afford it. It's all fucked up.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Yes @bemorepacific I bought the book and and I thought it was a bit off for her to be criticizing people for their reactions so much. If she wants to encourage an open dialogue with those who have sadly lost children then I'm afraid to say I worry that she's gone the wrong way about it....it left me thinking that I would be very scared of saying the wrong thing to somebody if, god forbid, it ever happened to a friend of mine. I especially thought it was wrong with the way she criticized the wording of one of her hospital consultants when he wrote to say how sorry he was for her loss. If I ever found myself in that unthinkable position, I feel that I would be grateful for any effort of comfort and support from my family and friends and those around me.

Reactions: 11
i’m sure she would happily trade in a lot of aspects of her privileged life for a baby 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 47
i’m sure she would happily trade in a lot of aspects of her privileged life for a baby 😔
I am sure you are right there. What happened was absolutely awful. However this isn't really to do with that... It's about the instagrammers like her who seem to take take take...surely the right thing to do if you don't need it is to ask the company to re-gift to somebody who is in need?

Reactions: 7
To be fair to her she has re-gifted things to her followers in the past that she doesn’t use. I remember some expensive make up brand sent her lots of stuff which she gave away to her followers.

She used to really irritate me in the early days of “shouty” (if anyone remembers him) and “the dildo wand” and her filming her mums garden. I just thought her banter was the driest thing in the world. It probably still is pretty dry but I don’t really watch her stories anymore. They were all very samey. Waitrose, mini eggs and going to the tip.

Reactions: 6
I used to enjoy following her and admired all the charity work that she and her husband did. But God, her page has become so dull now. She had a new kitchen. Great, it's a beautiful kitchen but it's all we hear about!! Gifted this, ad that. It's almost as if she's running out of content. I really wish these companies would start gifting to people who are genuinely in need - the fact that she is privileged enough to not need to work (I am sure her husband works very hard and that is a great thing) suggests that she does not fall into the category of being in need. Yet she keeps being given more and more stuff.
I’m sorry to hear that you’ve become tired of following my posts. I generally just share what’s been going on in my life at the time (I don’t stage photos or keep them in my drafts) I just take a snap and post it. For the most part, at the moment anyway, that’s been stuff at home and the completion of our new kitchen. I’m well aware that it’s probably bored the tits off most people, and I joke about that to my friends, but my Instagram continues to be the place I share the things I love.
Just to also correct your assumption about me not working, I do. I work for my Dad, just data input stuff from home, but he allowed me to work for him after Teddy died as I found it too hard to go back to my old job in London and felt more comfortable at home where I could manage my own time and days. I know I was really fortunate to have the option. I also volunteer on the hospital charity for the NICU, which obviously isn’t a paid job, but I am involved in fundraising initiatives and where the money is spent at the hospital, that’s also something I do from home apart from the monthly meetings. I do talk about the voluntary role on my IG from time to time, but I choose not to talk about the work I do for my Dad as it’s not really relevant (if that makes sense?). Alongside that, I obviously have commitments because of my book and my Instagram, mainly answering emails and DMs from people who have taken the time to write to me; which can take up a huge amount of time. Yes, I also do the odd advert, always with brands of whom I am a genuine customer and I am proud to work with. That’s how I have chosen to do things so that I can continue to afford to volunteer and say yes to other things like press interviews and podcasts (all platforms I use to raise awareness of neonatal death and stillbirth).
If I am honest, I have taken time away from doing so much fundraising and related projects this year as we have been going through IVF and I have been in and out of hospital. It made me pretty poorly at the start of the year and resulted in a miscarriage of twins. So I have spent the last few months trying to say “yes” to less things and give my body the chance to recover so that we might be in a position to try it again.
I hope my space on Instagram isn’t “dull” for other people and that it still brings something to them. I’m really aware you cannot please everyone all of the time, and I’m sorry to hear that it’s not for you (or any of the others who have listed comments further down this thread) anymore.
Elle x

• Heart
Reactions: 111
I do like Elle and she does make me laugh. I'm not wild about the dropping £150 on a Boden dress every now and again, which I cannot relate to at all, but she does balance that out with stuff from H&M and Zara. Her #ad content isn't even that bad. But I do feel it is very wrong of her to accept so many freebies when she can more than bleeping afford it. I don't mind the jewellery, candles and tit like that but it's the really big stuff I object to.

Her husband works very long hours and very hard no doubt - he's a trader in oil commodities and must earn conservatively £200,000 a year (probably a lot more with bonuses) and he's obviously from serious money looking at his parent's houses - and she's had best selling book published purely on the back of her Instagram account. It wasn't that good - most of it was lifted from her blog and I did not agree with the shaming of the people who didn't act how she thought they should when her son died especially one of her friends.

Her new kitchen extension must have cost at least £100,000 and most of that appears to have been bought and paid for - fair enough - but she did accept a washing machine from AO which cost over £1,000 when I checked the model. That really fucked me off. And the Wimbledon tickets! You want to go to Wimbledon? Pay for it yourself! Probably doesn't even like tennis.

It's the same old story. Money goes to money. Gifted stuff goes to people who can more than afford it. It's all fucked up.
I’m definitely not wild about dropping £150 on a Boden dress either, I won’t ever buy anything unless it’s 30% off. I’m glad you still enjoy my page, but again, just to answer a few things in reply to your observations...
My husbands salary. Yes, he’s an oil trader, but no he doesn’t earn nearly as much as google might have suggested. Times have definitely changed over the last decade. If he was earning that much we might have been able to afforded a sunshine holiday more once in the past 5 years, and we certainly wouldn’t have remortgaged our house to pay for our extension.
Yes, our extension cost over £100k, and all of it was paid for ourselves. As you can imagine, I was offered, flooring, furniture, appliances amongst other things, but I didn’t want it to be an advert when we were able to choose and pay for the things we really wanted. The reason I accepted the washing machine as an advert for AO was because we needed a new one. Ours was really loud and as we had moved the machines to next to the dining table it was too loud to have at that end of the room. When AO approached me and wanted me to advertise the Miele machine (having been an AO customer and having bought all of our other appliances from them for years) it seemed like a good fit and relevant at the time. The machine wasn’t a “gift” it was payment for the advert on my IG grid and the linked stories I showed. It was a contracted agreement, with the machine stated as payment for the advert content. It will be stated as payment in my tax return and I will pay tax on it. With our other machine (that was loud, but only 4 years old and in perfect working order), I did give it to someone who really needed it. I put it on a local Facebook page that week, and a lady contacted me that day by DM who was on her own with two small children and her machine had broken that weekend. She had our other machine.
I hope that helps to explain my agreement with AO.

Wimbledon tickets; have you ever tried to get them? I’m not a member of the Lawn Tennis Association, so have tried through the public ballot many times and never been lucky enough to get them. Even if I had, I very much doubt they would ever have been incredible seats on centre court that far into the tournament. Yes, I am a big tennis fan, and it was one of those things that seemed too good to be true and an opportunity I knew I would regret if I didn’t go. I don’t say yes many invitations (of which there are many that drop into my inbox every day; spa days, hotel stays, dinners), but that was a bucket list thing for me and I’m really glad I went as it was such a brilliant experience.
I hope this helps to explain a few things a little better. I’m always really transparent with everything I do on Instagram, and I hope people see that.
Elle x

• Heart
Reactions: 70
Elle, I really admire you coming here when you frankly don't owe anyone an explanation for living your life however you choose and feel able, given what you and Nico have been through since Teddy was born.

Reactions: 50
No, Elle does not owe anyone any explanations. But equally we are still allowed to discuss things on Instagram that annoy us, and if somebody deliberately places themselves in the public eye then they are going to be discussed most likely. I think all of us would agree that what Elle and her husband went through was absolutely horrendous but to be honest that is not really the reason for our discussions. And I am sorry but if somebody is in a position where they can spend £100,000 on their kitchen and haven't got to go out to work everyday at a company like most of us have to, then good luck to them but it still means they are coming from a position of incredible privilege. The fact that Elle admits herself that her inbox is full all the time of many difference products and invites thrown at her, surely means that she could use that position to suggest that these companies that they are regifted to somebody in much greater need?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
No, Elle does not owe anyone any explanations. But equally we are still allowed to discuss things on Instagram that annoy us, and if somebody deliberately places themselves in the public eye then they are going to be discussed most likely. I think all of us would agree that what Elle and her husband went through was absolutely horrendous but to be honest that is not really the reason for our discussions. And I am sorry but if somebody is in a position where they can spend £100,000 on their kitchen and haven't got to go out to work everyday at a company like most of us have to, then good luck to them but it still means they are coming from a position of incredible privilege. The fact that Elle admits herself that her inbox is full all the time of many difference products and invites thrown at her, surely means that she could use that position to suggest that these companies that they are regifted to somebody in much greater need?
I have done exactly that, on many occasions. Smaller brands usually want to/ agree to donate to our fundraising so that they are making a donation to the Neonatal Unit or to Tommy’s the Baby Charity (in return for me promoting their Instagram page and not accepting whatever it was they wanted to send to me). For the bigger brands though, it isn’t really a case of them looking for someone to gift things to out of the goodness of their hearts, it’s advertising. I’m under no illusion; it’s not because they like me or they think I “deserve it” or because I’m “in need” that they offer it to me, it’s because they want me to promote it to my audience of 120,000 people. Often I go back and ask if they would consider a giveaway or a discount code for people, and am usually met with “it’s not in our marketing strategy”. Trust me when I say that I know so many other accounts on Instagram who go back with the same question. If I don’t take something from them, then they simply move onto the next person on the list who will.
Elle x

Reactions: 32
I came over here from another thread, I don't follow @featheringtheemptynest because her content just isn't for me (no offence meant)

However, I just wanted to say that i have a lot of respect for her to come on here and engage with what people are saying.

I absolutely agree that if you put yourself out there in the public eye then you must accept you will be discussed, but at the same time it must be incredibly hard to read untruths or guesses about you and not respond (or get frustrated) about it.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading her response and it was very refreshing for someone to come here and enagage rather than cry troll 🙌 x

Reactions: 61
Thank you @Bellaboo83 . That is really kind of you to say. I know my account isn’t going to be for everyone, and that’s why we have the freedom to follow or unfollow.
I honestly think that it’s best to just talk about things, and if anyone wants to engage back with me on any of the points above then I would absolutely welcome them getting in touch with me via Instagram DM or by email. Especially if they have any suggestions as to how they think things could change (such as with gifted items) in order to make Instagram a more enjoyable place for everyone.
Elle x

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I was quite suprised when I saw this thread, as I generally think @featheringtheemptynest is one of the accounts I follow who posts the least #ads etc. Mostly I enjoy Elle's content, and it doesn't feel staged which is nice. Obviously that can sometimes feel a bit samey, but that's just real life. If it's a photo or set of stories I'm not feeling I just scroll on by.

I know if I were in a similar position of being offered once in a lifetime trips (centre court at Wimbledon) then I wouldn't turn them down. So I'm not going to judge others who do have the opportunity. Especially as she states above that she could have had most of her extension paid for with ads and gifts, but turned it down. That shows integrity in my book.

Reactions: 24
Oh my god, the sight of everyone licking Elle’s arse hole now she’s written a few replies is hilarious. People come here to witch and moan about things that annoy them. So what? No need for everyone to tit their pants about it 🙄🙄🙄🙄.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Oh my god, the sight of everyone licking Elle’s arse hole now she’s written a few replies is hilarious. People come here to witch and moan about things that annoy them. So what? No need for everyone to tit their pants about it 🙄🙄🙄🙄.
It’s like she’s famous!? 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.