Fathering Autism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you!

So this family has over 300k subs, and their daughter Abbie is 14 and non-verbal autistic. They just bought a new house and Abbie is having trouble with some of the routines. Recently they posted a video of her having another meltdown, and it made me extremely uncomfortable. Abbie isn't able to talk, so she can't give permission to be filmed. I feel like the channel started off as raising awareness for autism, but now it seems to be more exploitative and is following the trend of other family/lifestyle vloggers. Here is the video

Reactions: 10
I hadn't heard of this channel, to be honest.

I'll definitely be taking a look at this family when I get back from work. As you say, their daughter is unlikely to be able to give consent.

I agree that it's important to raise awareness of ASD but it needs to be done in a sensitive and non-exploitative way.

Reactions: 5
I hadn't heard of this channel, to be honest.

I'll definitely be taking a look at this family when I get back from work. As you say, their daughter is unlikely to be able to give consent.

I agree that it's important to raise awareness of ASD but it needs to be done in a sensitive and non-exploitative way.
I watched one video from this family and found it uncomfortable to watch.

The Chapman family on the other hand show Autism as it should be shown.

Reactions: 2
I watched one video from this family and found it uncomfortable to watch.

The Chapman family on the other hand show Autism as it should be shown.
The Chapman family are very respectful of their son's privacy- they won't film him having a meltdown or in distress etc. Ourlandingcrew are also respectful of their autistic son's privacy.

Reactions: 3
The Chapman family are very respectful of their son's privacy- they won't film him having a meltdown or in distress etc. Ourlandingcrew are also respectful of their autistic son's privacy.
I'm not a fan of ourlandingcrew either, from the videos I watched it seems she wants there to be something wrong with each of her children.

I'm not a fan of ourlandingcrew either, from the videos I watched it seems she wants there to be something wrong with each of her children.
I'm not sure- I don't think anyone wants their kid to struggle and be disadvantaged. I think she's just very highly strung and it may come across the wrong way. Her daughter Danielle is a PITA, though.

Reactions: 1
Never heard of this family. Raising 2 on the spectrum myself, I find it quite disturbing that they’re filming meltdowns - especially of a non verbal child. 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 24
Haven't watched any of the videos yet but had a scroll through the father's insta page.

Not sure how much 'fun' Abbie would have had at a meet up of total strangers. She certainly appears to be the only one without a smile on her face. I would have thought meet ups would be quite stressful for her.

1567612441642.png

Found an old news article about her parents' legal fight re: her education. Seems like they had some valid complaints but there's a couple of things I found odd. Coming home with sand and playdoh on her clothes should not be a reason to complain, that happens to every kid at school (pen, paint etc). While I appreciate it was the school's responsibility to purchase the ipad/app there's no way I would let my child go without for a year and a half. Surely you would buy the items and then claim the money back from the education dept? I don't think the family were dirt poor pre-Youtube were they?

1567613044258.png

They just bought a new house and it looks like a mansion so they must be making a lot of money from Youtube.
Mmm hmm ... well he's changed his tune (or maybe he has the quoted 20 million bucks in the bank, lol)

1567612556493.png

Reactions: 3
Haven't watched any of the videos yet but had a scroll through the father's insta page.

Not sure how much 'fun' Abbie would have had at a meet up of total strangers. She certainly appears to be the only one without a smile on her face. I would have thought meet ups would be quite stressful for her.

View attachment 38252

Found an old news article about her parents' legal fight re: her education. Seems like they had some valid complaints but there's a couple of things I found odd. Coming home with sand and playdoh on her clothes should not be a reason to complain, that happens to every kid at school (pen, paint etc). While I appreciate it was the school's responsibility to purchase the ipad/app there's no way I would let my child go without for a year and a half. Surely you would buy the items and then claim the money back from the education dept? I don't think the family were dirt poor pre-Youtube were they?

View attachment 38258

Mmm hmm ... well he's changed his tune (or maybe he has the quoted 20 million bucks in the bank, lol)

View attachment 38255
Wow! They say a picture speaks a thousand words :( I feel like the only people who are benefiting from this are her parents and the people who watch their channel. How is that fair on poor Abbie?!

View attachment 38252

View attachment 38258

View attachment 38255
They used to own a motorcycle repair shop. They closed it down to become fulltime youtubers about a year or two ago I think. I don't think they were making much money. The mom is also a top seller with Forever living or something.

Reactions: 1
Okay, I've watched the video you linked.

I was fully expecting to dislike the parents but to be honest they seem to be nice people and have a lovely relationship with Abbie.

One thing I didn't like was the way they talked about Abbie as if she wasn't there, both during her 'meltdown' and at the end of the vlog. Abbie clearly has good comprehension skills and would understand everything they were saying. Abbie appeared to look at the camera a few times when she was distressed so she seems to have an awareness that she is being filmed. Maybe I'm projecting but I don't think she likes the idea of being filmed when she isn't in control of her emotions.

1567618771806.png

I wonder if they have a "no filming" icon on her ipad? If not, then they need to add one so she can make her views clear.

Reactions: 11
Okay, I've watched the video you linked.

I was fully expecting to dislike the parents but to be honest they seem to be nice people and have a lovely relationship with Abbie.

One thing I didn't like was the way they talked about Abbie as if she wasn't there, both during her 'meltdown' and at the end of the vlog. Abbie clearly has good comprehension skills and would understand everything they were saying. Abbie appeared to look at the camera a few times when she was distressed so she seems to have an awareness that she is being filmed. Maybe I'm projecting but I don't think she likes the idea of being filmed when she isn't in control of her emotions.

View attachment 38291

I wonder if they have a "no filming" icon on her ipad? If not, then they need to add one so she can make her views clear.
I don't think they should film her meltdowns, but I agree about the no filming icon on her ipad. I don't think they would do that though because I think Abbie would use it often and they wouldn't have enough footage of Abbie for $$$ as a result.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Oh boy. This doesn’t surprise me that someone reported them! I would’ve thought it would be about the child exploitation for youtube money though, not because of what she ate, because she is always eating (if she could). She has PICA? Plus, her genetics & it’s obvious that she watched her mother, especially, over eat for years. So she has memory of a household that overeats. But I get it, this girl goes for their food! So they have to eat fast! That would create a very stressful mealtime for all.

It frustrates me that any grown adult would report a family to CPS, unless they saw actual neglect going on.

I adore Isaiah & I think he is likely the best example to go to for anyone questioning this family.

HOWEVER! I cannot stand the child exploitation on YouTube & the ridiculous amount of money made. I really question YouTube & advertisers. Brand deals, etc. I would never create a YouTube channel for money off my childrens’ lives! Children deserve all the privacy in the world! Abby does things/works/is motivated for candy. What child isn’t. But, it seems clear to me that she doesn’t really understand that the strangers at meetups giving her candy have anything to do with her being on video. She just doesn’t process any of that. It’s sad & she shouldn’t be told to hug strangers! And for the love of God, if these fans knew anything about autism, they wouldn’t be reaching out/forcing/or going for a hug!

• Sad
Reactions: 11
They are laughing all the way to the bank. Their video of them both talking about the person who reported them being 'garbage' whilst both sitting in the pool of their new 600k house- only made possible by the exploitation of their daughter.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
They are laughing all the way to the bank. Their video of them both talking about the person who reported them being 'garbage' whilst both sitting in the pool of their new 600k house- only made possible by the exploitation of their daughter.
Exactly. He is arrogant & forever interrupts his wife, son, & Abby listens to him best, likely out of feeling intimidated. Fans freaked out (I didn’t & thought it was over reaching) when he used the phrase once, “I’m putting my foot down,” in a deep voice to Priscilla about spending more $ than needed on a class ring for Isaiah.

Here are my speculations. Her parents helped financially or had to co-sign for their home. Why they kept sharing down to the wire house details appeared to me like begging for money & he knows what makes a profitable thumbnail. I don’t believe the bank underwriters had enough confidence in this new money youtuber family. I keep thinking about how much $ it must cost per day to keep their pool clean & lights on in that historic home. That’s a lot of pressure! All I can say is life will be rough when she needs new knees! They better keep that tub off the kitchen. They did joke about the stairs when they are older.

Reactions: 4
They are now finalists for the WEGO health awards. I'll be sending an e-mail to WEGO telling them exactly what I think. I will also send one to Dunkin' donuts seeing as they are endorsing the family by sending them stuff.

I just tweeted the CEO of the WEGO health awards, lets see what he has to say.

Last edited:
Just watched the vlog re: being reported to CPS.

What I took from it:

Generators are really boring.

They think that winning some award automatically makes them good parents - a bit like Jonathan 'cold showers' Sacconejoly?

Priscilla and her parents would benefit from some healthy eating advice, as would Asa. They should be setting an example for Abbie.

They sure got a nice house courtesy of their daughter; doubt they could have afforded that before vlogging took off.

I get the feeling that if someone did send a letter of apology then Asa would manage to 'accidentally leak' the details. He was barely controlling his anger when he was talking about the situation. Now I can understand them being upset about it but they pretty much said it goes with the territory.

Why was Asa upset that someone from CPS took pictures of their fridge and pantry? It's not as if those pictures will be publicly available. They show much more than that of their home in their daily vlogs 🤷‍♀️

I felt pretty disgusted when he kept going on about Abbie's weight:

"Abbie, she took pictures of you to make sure that you weren't malnourished. She said 'oh yeah she's definitely not underweight'. I feel like that offended you a little" < laughs heartily while Abbie hides her face under a cushion > "She's like, 'she's definitely not underweight' - like okay, slow your roll there - shaming"

Shaming? The only person doing any shaming is you Asa by putting that information on camera and laughing about it despite knowing it had upset Abbie. That's a pretty 'garbage' thing for a father to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.