Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

HumanPerson

Never heard of this family. Raising 2 on the spectrum myself, I find it quite disturbing that they’re filming meltdowns - especially of a non verbal child. 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 24

Aec

I recently began watching Fathering Autism. After a few “episodes” I was hooked, and binge watched the majority. (I do not know much about autism, nor am I qualified to diagnosis or play doctor.) The more episodes I watched, the more uneasy I began to feel. I started googling multiple autism related articles— and while some descriptions did describe Abbie, her autism appeared to be more severe than any information listed. As I continued to watch, I couldn’t help but think she’s showing more signs of IDD (mental retardation).
In the early vlogs Abbie does seem like a “typical child with autism.” However, as she became older, it appears that she has not really advanced in anyway, and almost in a worse than condition. The family blames it on puberty- which is fair. Puberty regardless of how you function in the world sucks. But it’s also a cop out. No one is going to argue puberty (especially female puberty).
It occurred to me why I felt so uneasy; I was not watching a girl with autism, as this family so “proudly” tries to influence. I was watching an exploited teenager with the mindset of an infant, who has profound IDD.
This family is 100% neglecting the fact that their daughter is not so much autistic as she is profoundly IDD. They are lying and covering up for the sake of themselves. In the earliest episodes, you’d see Pricilla just sitting on the couch, or laying in bed. Hardly showing Abbie any recognition or affection. As soon as they started profiting off Abbie, that affection changed. It is so cringeworthy watching Pricilla’s fake affection towards her daughter.
Summer moving in with them is awkward, and forced. Asa gives off the initial vibe as an amazing caretaker, until you keep watching. The more you watch, the more you realize how awful it really is. I understand the parents need breaks, as any parent does. However, this particular family receives more help than imaginable. There is no reason that they cannot focus on their business or whatever they do while Abbie is at school, and out with one of her other numerous caregivers or “friends.” A lot of the vlog footage is Pricilla marketing her channel, and Asa scooting around. It is focusing less on Abbie’s autism and more on how Abbie’s needs revolve around them. The restriction of food is disgusting and cruel. Even if she does eat to the point she gets sick, she should not be so restricted. Mentally she might be like an infant, physically she is a rapidly growing teenager. If she is on birth control, plus going through puberty and certain meds that girl is probably actually very hungry. I’m sorry, autistic or IDD salmon and cauliflower is not dinner. That’s a diet for a 60 year old man with high cholesterol. All this sugar free crap too is just ridiculous. Give the girl a full meal. Also, for the love of god, they need to quit dressing Abbie in tight leggings with those bulging diapers. I’m not shaming pull ups, but incorporate a baggier fitting bottom— or better yet, don’t exploit your child. I’m sorry if this is a long ass rant. I would look at the comments on the videos, and I was shocked there wasn’t much of any critical comments. So I googled fathering autism criticism and I found this page. Everything you all have mentioned is 100% accurate, and needs to be brought to light.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

GossipTea

They are disgusting!!
Priscilla questioning that mans name being John?? Was it not ‘black’ enough of a name for her!!!? Then she goes on to say let’s go back to the safe place! I just don’t like her morals, personality or this upper class thing she tries portray!
Asa going on territory he isn’t meant to on camera after they have been given that holiday at a special rate and films it. Talking with his mouthful!!!!!!!!! 🤢
I noticed the change between the care lady doing the swimming to when Priscilla did it, Abbie looked much more uncomfortable and almost not trusting in the latter.
Asa holding his hand against Abbie until she asked to go?? Why did she after to ask him? Wasn’t like he was going actually take her, she already communicated to the lady in her own way to go, who she knew would actually engage with her!
makes me sick honestly!
I wonder what the care lady (I’m not sure what her title is) thinks of this whole set up as I saw a few looks from her where I would like to think I can imagine what she is thinking!

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Catseverywhere

They are laughing all the way to the bank. Their video of them both talking about the person who reported them being 'garbage' whilst both sitting in the pool of their new 600k house- only made possible by the exploitation of their daughter.

• Haha

Hotographer512

VIP Member
Assa please make an account and bring those man boobs and tiny thumbs of yours in here and talk your shit to some real, intelligent, strong women!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart

FaLaLaLaNahLer

Chatty Member
Any ability by Abbie to pinch someone in the car needed to be stopped immediately. Prior to them being able to afford a new car, if I were them, I would’ve switched seats (like mentioned) if typical child old enough to ride in the front or built a guard of some sort so she shouldn’t reach over. If that didn’t work, then try mittens w/ enough velcro & maybe a click strap that she can’t remove. Let her scream & cry over them until she learns that pinching someone is never ok. Instead, they’ve laughed about it all these years. Which is what they do too much of. She is manipulative & it’s not cute.

Hotographer512

VIP Member
I hear what you are saying but...
They get to relax. Far more than their economically disadvantaged fans who are Autism parents.
They travel, go on cruises, and are living "their best life". They relax plenty and that's what they allow us to see. Imagine how lazy they are when the camera isn't on.
They also have unlimited respite care because they got YouTube rich off of a child who has no say in her private moments being put out to the world.
If they really walked the walk and talked the talk about what they claim their channel is about, maybe I could muster up some compassion for what you point out.
As it stands, I cannot.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

GossipTea

You guys are sick
You are sick, making an account to defend them vile lazy parents who do nothing but exploit a child who can’t consent or even know what planet she’s on, yet her toileting, hygiene, tantrums etc all over the internet on multiple platforms for money. Yet us saying she needs proper care and sheltered from weirdos online is us being sick? Go crawl back to Asa and give him some more money and keep enabling child exploitation.

I wasn’t going come on until after the holidays, but was catching up and saw that! What an idiot. They have no idea do they at all, they need get them fathering autism rose tinted glasses off!

• Heart

KateK

VIP Member
I would leave "fathering autism" in the title of the thread somewhere so people can find it through google... thats how I found this forum.. I was watching their videos and wondering why all the comments were so syrupy and hero worship..no real discussions...so I googled fathering autism and found a couple of forums that were having real discussions.

Also...P is the biggest pyramid schemer in the world for Limelife... really? why are they still trying to sell at every turn? Looking for other ways to exploit Abbie? I see she is now getting Abbie in her videos as well. I agree with someone upthread who said she probably put her own money into the scheme to make it look like she is selling more than she is... also exploiting the fathering autism channel for her downline.. these people are probably desperate for $$$$$ to fund their lavish lifestyle.

• Heart

FaLaLaLaNahLer

Chatty Member
Oh boy. This doesn’t surprise me that someone reported them! I would’ve thought it would be about the child exploitation for youtube money though, not because of what she ate, because she is always eating (if she could). She has PICA? Plus, her genetics & it’s obvious that she watched her mother, especially, over eat for years. So she has memory of a household that overeats. But I get it, this girl goes for their food! So they have to eat fast! That would create a very stressful mealtime for all.

It frustrates me that any grown adult would report a family to CPS, unless they saw actual neglect going on.

I adore Isaiah & I think he is likely the best example to go to for anyone questioning this family.

HOWEVER! I cannot stand the child exploitation on YouTube & the ridiculous amount of money made. I really question YouTube & advertisers. Brand deals, etc. I would never create a YouTube channel for money off my childrens’ lives! Children deserve all the privacy in the world! Abby does things/works/is motivated for candy. What child isn’t. But, it seems clear to me that she doesn’t really understand that the strangers at meetups giving her candy have anything to do with her being on video. She just doesn’t process any of that. It’s sad & she shouldn’t be told to hug strangers! And for the love of God, if these fans knew anything about autism, they wouldn’t be reaching out/forcing/or going for a hug!

• Sad

ChickenGeorge

I am amazed about how nasty people who follow Fathering Autism are. Someone asked about how Abbie knows her right foot from her left when putting her shoes on. Followers went wild saying she learns just like everyone else which we can clearly see is very far from the truth. It was a simple question but provoked some nasty remarks. Almost cult like in defense of the family.

• Heart

String Man

VIP Member
Okay, I've watched the video you linked.

I was fully expecting to dislike the parents but to be honest they seem to be nice people and have a lovely relationship with Abbie.

One thing I didn't like was the way they talked about Abbie as if she wasn't there, both during her 'meltdown' and at the end of the vlog. Abbie clearly has good comprehension skills and would understand everything they were saying. Abbie appeared to look at the camera a few times when she was distressed so she seems to have an awareness that she is being filmed. Maybe I'm projecting but I don't think she likes the idea of being filmed when she isn't in control of her emotions.

1567618771806.png

I wonder if they have a "no filming" icon on her ipad? If not, then they need to add one so she can make her views clear.

Morningstar

I have watched this show for quite awhile. At first I really liked it. It seemed that they were bringing light to the subject of Autism. I learned a lot about it through the daily life of Abbie. But then something changed. I honestly wondered if they won the lottery. It seemed that nothing was out of their reach financially. Certainly they like to show off and brag about what they buy. Buying new this and new that. Showing what people send to them as gifts even though I imagine they give some to charity. I dont understand why they don't encourage people to give to their local Autism groups. After all they can buy their own things. All I can think of when they do that are the people who send them what they really need for themselves. Do they realize they are paying for those luxuries while they, the donor sacrifice to give? It made me very uncomfortable when I realized where the money was coming from. I highly doubt they would be living in a 600,000.00 home, filling it with new furniture and things, driving nice cars and living the expensive lifestyle that they are if not for Abbie. Truthfully she doesn't look like she wants to be filmed. If she somehow conveyed that she did not want filmed I wonder if they would give it all up. No one knows what her thoughts are or how much she understands. I could not exploit my child and her disabilities for my own personal gain. I cringe when they tell her to say or do something like she is performing a trick like a pet. And the word excited? Oh boy. I think it was originally a good concept to advance the Autism awareness. But somewhere along the way it made a wrong turn and became what finances the family. All on the back of a little girl who can't even tell them how she feels about being filmed. Indeed..I wonder what they would do if she said stop. And I wonder what measures would be taken if anyone wanted their gifts back after learning they could well afford to buy anything they want. I like them all as people. I just think they have wandered off the path. Just my opinion

• Heart

Glowfish

I am going to be upfront and say that I do not watch FatheringAutism for their Autism knowledge. I watch because I don't want Abbie and Isaiah to be without a home. I love watching those kids! :)

Now I am going to get a little snippy towards Asa and Cilla. I feel that they do not have the right or qualifications to speak about Autism as a whole. They can speak about their experiences all day long. Doctors and Psychologists went to school for YEARS to learn about Autism. These bozos have no formal education on the subject! I do not see why people listen to them. Their son at the end of his college education will be more knowledgeable. I am not saying you need a college education to be an advocate, but the type of advice they are giving, yes you do.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Hotographer512

VIP Member
I think that is a valid question.. now I am wondering that as well as she is always putting shoes on/off. Those obsessed "fans" seem to not see the reality of the situation... Abbie does not learn like everyone else.. she needs assistance with pretty much everything and has profound IDD. I just dont get the hero worship.
I don't get it either. I never have. They are quick to attack anyone whose comment does not fit their narrative and viciously attack. In packs like rabid dogs.
I guess its a Garbage People channel = a majority of Garbage People fans type of situation? I dunno.
Abbie is severely IDD and what they are doing is so clearly wrong, I will never understand why people don't see it.
Thankfully people are reading here and are seeing the light! New people have been joining and that means there's hope!

Morningstar

Extreme feelings of jealousy
An expectation of special treatment
Exaggerating achievements, talents, and importance
Extreme sensitivity and a tendency to be easily hurt and to feel rejected with little provocation
Difficulty maintaining healthful relationships
Fantasizing about their own intelligence, success, power, and appearance
An ability to take advantage of others to achieve a goal, without regret or conscience
A lack empathy, or ability to understand and share the feelings of others, and a tendency to disregard others' feelings
A belief that only certain people can understand their uniqueness
A tendency to consider themselves as skilled in romance
Responding to criticism with anger, humiliation, and shame
Seeking out praise and positive reinforcement from others
An expectation that others will agree with them and go along with what they want
Whatever they crave or yearn for must be "the best"

Only part posted...anyway..guess who this describes....nuff said..drop the Mike

• Heart
  • Wow

tiredofbs

People that donate money don't broadcast it. Period. Sometimes I wonder why I watch the vlog. I just piss myself off lol.
Look at me, look what I did...ugh. Nauseating.
Summer is naive. She giggles too much.
I watch the way Abbie looks at P. She never looks impressed with her mother. Asa's head is too big. Ugh

• Haha
  • Heart

Catseverywhere

Thank you!

So this family has over 300k subs, and their daughter Abbie is 14 and non-verbal autistic. They just bought a new house and Abbie is having trouble with some of the routines. Recently they posted a video of her having another meltdown, and it made me extremely uncomfortable. Abbie isn't able to talk, so she can't give permission to be filmed. I feel like the channel started off as raising awareness for autism, but now it seems to be more exploitative and is following the trend of other family/lifestyle vloggers. Here is the video