Fathering Autism #5 Asa lies and Priscilla cries

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Autism has become so watered down by people like the Maases that awareness is almost meaningless now.

Reactions: 12
Jaded, you hit the nail on the head!!!
It would make sense for her to learn these things IF (Big IF), if she was able to retain (which she should be doing), understanding, finding enjoyment and self-value of doing those chores.. As you can tell, Abbie doesn't retain these chores, nor does she retain the learning capabilities of understanding how to do them. They are met with way to many "way to go" and "good job" prompts, while she is doing them, almost to the point of "will you please just be quiet and let me do what I need to do" looks... She shouldn't have to be constantly prompted to do the dishes and we rarely see them even have her do them, outside of ABA... She doesn't understand how this would help in her daily life and she really, frankly, doesn't care nor would understand... I can tell my 11 year old "if we don't help load the dishwasher, so it cleans the cups, then you can't get a clean cup." My child understands this.. Abbie wouldn't understand that whatsoever, from the dishwasher to even needing to have a cup that is clean...
I really think having her pick her outfits, learning to have "her" choice in what to wear, self cleaning (putting her cups in the sink), etc. is way better tasks than what they are trying to accomplish. Also, they should only be doing 1 task at a time and letting that one task sink in, before adding more onto her plate.. Having her do the groceries and the dishes is way to much... IMO!
Also, yes, self soothing and daily just fostering the anxiety down needs to happen.. Abbie seems so stressed out lately and we can only imagine why. She is being dragged around here and there, thrown on planes and into vehicles for long trips, changing her room, changing her careworkers, etc. They literally are doing everything that you shouldn't be doing.. They give no explanation to her (even if she wouldn't understand completely) but she should be told.. She is given no option for anything, even to her own room. Everything is picked out for her.. The girl gets little to no choices in her life, where she should be given those opportunities or at least informed of what is going on...
If anyone was to write a book "What NOT to do raising a Child on the Autism Spectrum," I believe A & P would be able to place their documentary right there...
Clap clap clap!

Out of my own curiousity, are you autistic @Sam-I-Am? Jw :)

hey, autistic person here

i watched FA since they were small (<10k subs) and have been reading here since the first thread. the way they treat abbie genuinely shows how little they know about autism and how autistic brains work, let alone abbie's additional IDD struggles. and there's so much that's Not Great, but for some reason the room makeover really got to me? just thinking about how much thought i've put into my own living space makes me furious at how little they put into hers.

for starters there's no sensory lighting (the light up A box doesnt count). she appears to struggle with fluorescent lights in shops, like i do, and i know that having a space with SOFT LIGHTING and alternatives to the ceiling light + dimmer switches is really important for helping me regulate afterwards and avoid meltdowns! and i know they have the toy box and stuff, but i do wonder how accessible it really is. i deliberately keep stim toys in multiple, visible locations in my space to remind myself to use them before it gets bad !! given that i do this as a college student with a job (not living independently, but still), compared to what abby is shown to be capable of in terms of independent calming makes me wonder if the reason priss says she 'isnt interested' in stim toys is bc she lacks the forward planning to engage with things that arent 'there' ie packed away. the whole 'teenage girl' room is stupid too. im an adult and my room is covered in my special interests bc my space is a safe space. its literally my only reprieve from the overstimulating world and im just. i dont understand how they could knowingly go out of their way to eliminate anything that shows who she is or helps give her a sensory space that is actually positive for her to be in. the fact that p also said her room previously made her 'sad' is jarring. autistic people and their needs are not 'sad'.

dont know if this is related or not, but noticed they stopped keeping her blankets in the back of their car for her to put over her head. she put p's scarf over her head a few times. theyre so hell bent on pretending she isnt who she is and it's downright disturbing
It's amazing what you said and as a fellow autistic person, I 100% agree! Someone said elsewhere in this thread (either above or below) that if one were to make anything about how NOT to raise an autistic child, A&P would be able to star in it easily!! Lmao

Reactions: 11
I have to wonder if there's a certain point where "learning new skills" just makes life harder on everyone, including Abbie. I understand wanting to push her to grow and do more, but when you're teaching a child to do things, there's generally an expectation that they will progress. Why are they concerned about her unloading dishwasher or putting groceries away? It's pretty obvious she won't be able to do these tasks herself, nor does she want to. She's never going to be able to live independently. Instead of stressing the whole family out multiple times a week teaching her "skills" that aren't sticking, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to build a life around the realities of her abilities? She's not going to progress much into her adult years, shouldn't they be preparing long-term to live with someone who has the abilities of a toddler? If she's not going to be able to do chores independently and she doesn't get any satisfaction in "helping" do those chores, why have her do them?? What is she learning? They get hung up on her doing specific tasks that aren't really benefiting her or them at all, but they act like it's important for her to work on them on principle.
Does this comment not suggest that they just let her ‘exist’ then? She has a right to learn new skills just like anybody else, and hate them or love them, they are providing her that opportunity.

If they didn’t push her to learn new skills, there would be comments on here about how they don’t try to help her progress...

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
We've already been talking about how they aren't doing as much for her as they could be and really their efforts are on the minimal side. Instead of engaging more with her, spending time with her playing with sensory stuff (which most of the time they try to say she's no longer into sensory things - and yet they put sensory toys in her backpack and her room), just one on one interaction type stuff. No, they just turn on her music for her and let her rock on the couch by herself. We talk about how they've cut back on her at home ABA therapy sessions to once a week when she's been regressing in a lot of areas and needs more therapy, not less. Plus, Crazy Nanny is no longer spending time with her so that outlet is gone as well. I think it IS good to teach her skills but they need to be more realistic about which ones to teach her. The thing with putting groceries away and loading the dishwasher, they've been working on those ones for a loooooong time and she hasn't retained any of what she's learned in that time. Not to mention also that she's very dependent on prompts. There was a video where she started putting groceries away in the fridge without any kind of prompting and then she just stopped and stood there, waiting to be prompted. As Jaded said, it's extremely unlikely that Abbie will use those two particular skills (groceries & dishwasher) later on in life - why not work on something that she's more likely to use?

Oh wait, I did think of one new thing they've been teaching her recently - how to open the back gate. Yeah, because that's a great idea for her.... :rolleyes:

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Does this comment not suggest that they just let her ‘exist’ then? She has a right to learn new skills just like anybody else, and hate them or love them, they are providing her that opportunity.

If they didn’t push her to learn new skills, there would be comments on here about how they don’t try to help her progress...
there are other things they could do to engage her. literally take it back to a toddler level . they could establish her afternoon routine, giver her time to chill but engage her in some sensory play after, being more consistent with taking her to the park and teaching her skills there. she should really be in OT and PT and maybe SLP outside of school as well. we know that she doesn't have any distinct 'interests', but part of that seems to be down to the fact that she lacks the ability to independently explore things that could be of potential interest. is priscilla likes to cook so much, something more hands on could be really beneficial and used as a teaching tool for not grabbing food! even just sitting on the couch or floor with her and playing with the toy keyboard or some blocks- there are plenty of kids toys that make noise and are interactive, but like a toddler she would most likely benefit from one-on-one play time. i'm honestly amazed that they don't spend more time on communication and teaching her how to express her needs beyond food and extremely basic activities. maybe even some sort of in-home music therapy could be helpful? i know money comes into all of these but with what they seem to waste money on in the vlogs...

Reactions: 15
Off topic, bit I've always wondered if Ab has Dyspraxia? Just because in the house tour it's been mentioned that she doesn't feel comfortable going down stairs without a railing and I've noticed that she doesn't seem to have much eye to hand coordination. Additionally in the Disney vlog she was in a wheelchair. Is this another symptom as part of her IDD or Autism?

Reactions: 5
there are other things they could do to engage her. literally take it back to a toddler level . they could establish her afternoon routine, giver her time to chill but engage her in some sensory play after, being more consistent with taking her to the park and teaching her skills there. she should really be in OT and PT and maybe SLP outside of school as well. we know that she doesn't have any distinct 'interests', but part of that seems to be down to the fact that she lacks the ability to independently explore things that could be of potential interest. is priscilla likes to cook so much, something more hands on could be really beneficial and used as a teaching tool for not grabbing food! even just sitting on the couch or floor with her and playing with the toy keyboard or some blocks- there are plenty of kids toys that make noise and are interactive, but like a toddler she would most likely benefit from one-on-one play time. i'm honestly amazed that they don't spend more time on communication and teaching her how to express her needs beyond food and extremely basic activities. maybe even some sort of in-home music therapy could be helpful? i know money comes into all of these but with what they seem to waste money on in the vlogs...
I agree, just think of how much her motor skill would improve if they got some of those musical stacking blocks and actually play with her. Toddlers need to be taught how to play (to some degree), you show them what you can do with blocks, how you can stack them, throw them, whatever really. But that would require them to join her on the ground and be creative. They are trying to engage her as a teenager, while she is mentally a toddler. They explain her lack of interest by saying she is just a typical teenager but she isn't. Her lack of interest most likely stems from the fact that she doesn't know what to do with the things she is given and that all comes back to them not engaging her in play activities.

I really could forgive all of that if they wouldn't pretend to know everything and be some beacon of light for Autism parents. They are far to confident in what they're doing for parents who really have no clue what they are doing.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I’ve been a viewer for a long long time..

It really annoys me that most of the time she’s on the couch.. I know they don’t show the full day in the vlogs.. but I feel bad for her that’s she is just sitting in the couch rocking away.. every.. single.. vlog..

If her brain is that young then why not get her down on the floor or at a table and do something engaging and fun and MESSY! Do something outside and hose it away if mess is the issue... without pretending she is doing it and profiting off it. Just let her go wild and have fun. Let her lead the activity.. get your hands off hers and let HER DO IT! Let her mimic you.. give her a chance to express herself.

Turn the heater on the pool and let her swim..

Do something other then sitting on your asses or getting Dunkin or food..

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I have to wonder if there's a certain point where "learning new skills" just makes life harder on everyone, including Abbie. I understand wanting to push her to grow and do more, but when you're teaching a child to do things, there's generally an expectation that they will progress. Why are they concerned about her unloading dishwasher or putting groceries away? It's pretty obvious she won't be able to do these tasks herself, nor does she want to. She's never going to be able to live independently. Instead of stressing the whole family out multiple times a week teaching her "skills" that aren't sticking, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to build a life around the realities of her abilities? She's not going to progress much into her adult years, shouldn't they be preparing long-term to live with someone who has the abilities of a toddler? If she's not going to be able to do chores independently and she doesn't get any satisfaction in "helping" do those chores, why have her do them?? What is she learning? They get hung up on her doing specific tasks that aren't really benefiting her or them at all, but they act like it's important for her to work on them on principle.
I agree entirely. I have noticed in the past with brandy working with her that she has to be prompted each time to carry out the same tasks. She doesn’t seem to retain the information. I have often thought in earlier vlogs what the point of doing the tasks was as she had to be shown each time.
I really think that A and P are delusional if they think Abbie is going to progress beyond the point she is at. They will have to accept that what they have now is probably the best they are going to get.
I also feel sorry for Abbie for the future when she is no longer a “ cute sweet girl “ , an adult with her difficulties will be vey hard to look after and her cuteness appeal will no longer be there for the cult and they will stop viewing . It will be just the three of them in that big house and how much attention will she receive when her earning potential has diminished.

Reactions: 10
I agree, just think of how much her motor skill would improve if they got some of those musical stacking blocks and actually play with her. Toddlers need to be taught how to play (to some degree), you show them what you can do with blocks, how you can stack them, throw them, whatever really. But that would require them to join her on the ground and be creative. They are trying to engage her as a teenager, while she is mentally a toddler. They explain her lack of interest by saying she is just a typical teenager but she isn't. Her lack of interest most likely stems from the fact that she doesn't know what to do with the things she is given and that all comes back to them not engaging her in play activities.

I really could forgive all of that if they wouldn't pretend to know everything and be some beacon of light for Autism parents. They are far to confident in what they're doing for parents who really have no clue what they are doing.

shes not a toddler, shes a normal teenager!

jk lol

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I think that although they are branded as Fathering Autism, they are branching their channel out for their cult followers as entertainment. Yes the original channel was suppose to be Abbie and Autism, they have seen that they can show "All the things" and their followers eat it up. In that way they can just show what parts of Abbie that they think wants to be seen. It seems that as her IDD is coming to the forefront they dont want that because they feel like people connect more with the Autism. To be honest, they could film Maverick, Nala, and Sandy(if she is still around) in the front yard taking a poop and would still have thousands of followers liking and making comments.

Reactions: 17
I'm dying that P put a "be kind" sign in Abs room. "its just kinda symbolizes what our family strives for everyday, is be kind to one another"... Yeah like all your snarky passive aggressive comments y'all write back to people who have different views/ opinions.

God they get on my last nerve. Don't consistently preach something then when it comes to them the "rules don't apply"

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I'm So glad someone mentioned the BATHING thing!! If course, that family would calls IS perverts but, my husband stopped bathing my daughter when she was 3. All my flags went up went Asa spoke of bathing her. What?? She's 15!! And, he has also said that when people are in the bathroom, A will break the door in, get undressed and shower with Priscilla. Every day. Priscilla showers with her 15 yr old. someone, please call Protective Services!!
Maybe it's just because of where i'm from but this doesn't strike me as odd. It's pretty common for people with the mental age of Abbie to not have boundaries like that and it isn't easy to teach her those because she doesn't understand that kind of thing (same reason why you can't teach her stranger danger). Same goes for Ass bathing her, as long as Abbie is okay i don't find it weird. Female professionals bath male patients all the time, there isn't a law that says that can't happen. Honestly i have no respect for how they do things but this in my opinion isn't a reason to worry, as long as it doesn't bother Abbie i don't see the problem.

Reactions: 12
Honestly i have no respect for how they do things but this in my opinion isn't a reason to worry, as long as it doesn't bother Abbie i don't see the problem.
But how would anyone truly know if it bothers her or not? I've seen mention of regression, so couldn't that maybe be an indicator? How would that be determined since Ab can't verbalize if she's uncomfortable with it? (Hi everyone... posting for the first time and so many of the posts here are spot on.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Clap clap clap!

Out of my own curiousity, are you autistic @Sam-I-Am? Jw :)

It's amazing what you said and as a fellow autistic person, I 100% agree! Someone said elsewhere in this thread (either above or below) that if one were to make anything about how NOT to raise an autistic child, A&P would be able to star in it easily!! Lmao
@WhoaThatsCrazy I have 4 children on the Autism Spectrum... So, I live in the “world of Autism” daily..

As I already stated, It only takes ONE year to get residency in NC.

I stand corrected. When I was at school, it required a 2 year residency. I don’t know if Isaiah would be able to claim residency either, unless he moved into a house or apartment though because he wouldn’t be there for 12 straight months. I know they usually require the dorms to be empty over the summer..

Reactions: 2
As someone who has lived in NC for ten years and STILL has to petition an appeal for in-state residency, it is not so straightforward in North Carolina. Despite all of the evidence (tax records, pay stubs, utility bills, etc.) I provided on my most recent application in September, I still had to appeal with library cards, voter registration cards, letters from employers....all to make the case that I was a permanent resident. It would be very difficult for him to get in-state tuition.

Reactions: 1
Mornin'

Great posts this morning.

I agree mostly that Asa should have either fought to see his daughter, or at a minimum added her into the "set for life" deal and set some money aside for her. I don't get how anyone can know they have a child and not care to see a picture, know how they are. I cannot fathom it. He claims he didn't want to be married anymore so he left....he left his wife and young son. That's great parenting right there, eh?

There is a reason this other woman didn't want Asa to know about this child. When he found out, he could have done more to know about her. Bur his fans blame it on the mom? Wait...what?

He gets called the Best Father. His fans are morons.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
I'm watching the newest FA as I type and, there's the kid,in the corner of the couch and Priscilla is reading what the teacher sent home; "abbie was displaying attention seeking behavior" AS Abbie starts yelling and walking up the stairs her mother says "what's that about girlfriend?!" Then Summer follows her because Priscilla has her coffee and is on the phone. Abbie Looks and Acts like nothing I've ever seen but, poor thing has Priscilla for a mother.

Reactions: 14
I hope FA becomes a LOLcow and he tries to send a C&D letter there. LOL!!!!!! and I hope they demonetize his videos. They really make me ill.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.