Fathering Autism #24 Pullups, messy hair and dirty feet. Hambeasts can’t parent but they sho can eat!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't doubt it for a second. My kiddo has fine motor delays but not "serious enough." He is in private OT. They have him writing in marker and not pencil. During lockdown he is more willing to try to write with me and I got him on a pencil. He is now inconsistently using pressure but it is better than before. They said he mastered cutting paper but he doesn't consistently turn the paper and now that I have him 100% of the time I wish I wasn't so naive when they said well he does this here when I said at home he doesn't always hold the paper. just so many things but my son is little and prek still. I sometimes feel like they push tit under the rug. he isn't fully communicating and so I can't ask him.I adore his teacher and many kids are lower functioning in his class but come on man he was/is capable of more but was not being pushed and I feel like an idiot thinking he was thriving and to just focus on speech therapy, outside Ot and my other kid more than the fine motor

I emailed his prek teacher because I noticed he is trying to read and how to teach a special needs kids reading and she was surprised?!?!?! HELLO?! He has scattered skills he is just memorizing words vs phonics and I still don't know how to teach him to read or sound out words. Whatever I'm so tired and done.
First of all, any OT that pulls the whole 'oh, but he does it with us!' card is a tit OT. Especially if they don't allow their sessions to be taped.

Regarding writing, I am about to bombard you with questions - I apologize in advance, but OTs and our methods vary so wildly depending on region, school board, private therapist, etc. For his writing - are you using any grippers with the pencils? If no, or if just basic ones, try a CLAW or a Twist-n-Write (although this one might be a bid advanced for him yet). NuMuvs aren't bad either, but they are a little bit pricier and not as attractive to kids, I find. I like HandiWriters, too but tend to use them a little farther down the learning-to-write street.

Regarding cutting, what kind of scissors are being used? Just regular safety scissors or spring scissors or easi-grips? Easi-Grip makes a mini version of their scissors for kids and I LOVE them - I've had lots of success. Springs are good too, but aren't as user friendly in terms of safety (imo). For cutting material - what kind of paper is he cutting? Just regular, construction, bristol, newsprint, magazine? What are they getting him to cut? Does he follow lines, shapes, a pattern? Or do they just get him to cut randomly? I always prefer to use patterns (just simple lines, corners, circles, etc. in the beginning) because it gives an actual visual cue as to where to go next - saves some processing time.

In terms of holding the paper, I have used a lot of different things in the past - rubber finger tips, sticky tack, tongs (these come in lots of cool colors and shapes to try - you can often get kits with slightly different grips, etc.) All of this stuff can be found online from a variety of different stores - I just didn't know if I was allowed to link stuff.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
As a is obviously reading here considering all h is snarky replies to those commenting on his vlogs.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Who is writing these supposed comments from Assa? It’s not like him to say this stuff....you know, the stuff we say. won’t his followers be offended?
Lol it’s not him. They already blocked that person.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I think these “images of comments” on you tube (?) have been “doctored”. The lines are not even. Fess up derr1117.
Hes in the early stages of learning screen shotting.
I think he's taking several comments and putting them together?
That would be my guess.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.