Fathering Autism #115 Mirror Mirror tell me true, Will Pig ever weigh less than 402?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just saw a video about a young man with a severe form of dwarfism:

This guy has a master's degree *and* likes being swung on the baby swing at the park. Why can't Abbie's parents let her enjoy her toddler toys? ā˜¹

I guess what I'm getting at is how much happier Abbie and everyone else would be if her family just accepted her the way she is - her interests, her limitations, and her abilities.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I don't like A$$ but blaiming him for providing what the school asked for is a stretch. Plus I'm pretty sure Ab has a debit card or at least did at one point before I stopped watching. The money definitely should have been placed in a wallet or something though. I do wish everyone would be more realistic about her progress and focus on thing she can actually do (potty train). Instead of wasting time on sorting games etc that are proven to be BS.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I don't like A$$ but blaiming him for providing what the school asked for is a stretch. Plus I'm pretty sure Ab has a debit card or at least did at one point before I stopped watching. The money definitely should have been placed in a wallet or something though. I do wish everyone would be more realistic about her progress and focus on thing she can actually do (potty train). Instead of wasting time on sorting games etc that are proven to be BS.
I am not blaming Asa for providing the money. I am just one-questioning JSAā€™s sanity or reasoning for having Abbie shop for an item that she cannot possibly understand where the money comes from, how much things cost and making sure she can purchase it and two-Asa need recording and posting that Abbie was eating the money, while blaming it on PICA, which we know Abbie puts almost anything in her mouth and it seems like she is seeking oral sensory input, due to sensory deprivation.
I also guarantee that them going out and shopping is within Abbieā€™s IEP. Those decisions are sat down and made as a team, which includes A&P. If Asa was a ā€œAutism Guru,ā€ like he thinks he is, he should have spoken up and said something (like, she will eat or rip up the money, before/during/after the trip)..

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I am not blaming Asa for providing the money. I am just one-questioning JSAā€™s sanity or reasoning for having Abbie shop for an item that she cannot possibly understand where the money comes from, how much things cost and making sure she can purchase it and two-Asa need recording and posting that Abbie was eating the money, while blaming it on PICA, which we know Abbie puts almost anything in her mouth and it seems like she is seeking oral sensory input, due to sensory deprivation.
I also guarantee that them going out and shopping is within Abbieā€™s IEP. Those decisions are sat down and made as a team, which includes A&P. If Asa was a ā€œAutism Guru,ā€ like he thinks he is, he should have spoken up and said something (like, she will eat or rip up the money, before/during/after the trip)..
This will sound awful, but I often wonder what JSA really thinks about Abbie and the IEP's they create for her. Shes been there 6 years, and I think they are aware of what she is capable of, and shopping? No. I mean, are they just moving her up by age? I did notice when Asa did film at school, Abbie was with kids who appeared to be her age. I guess my question is, is she in a class based on age, or ability? What do they do with a soon to be 17 yr old toddler? She obviously cant be in a class with younger kids, shes too large and may get rough. (and yes, we know shes capable of it) So do they just have her in a group of people her age, or are they also at her level? Because it seems her IEP's are based on what she "should" be doing at her age.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I just saw a video about a young man with a severe form of dwarfism:

This guy has a master's degree *and* likes being swung on the baby swing at the park. Why can't Abbie's parents let her enjoy her toddler toys? ā˜¹

I guess what I'm getting at is how much happier Abbie and everyone else would be if her family just accepted her the way she is - her interests, her limitations, and her abilities.
I tried to watch this but just couldnā€™t. Bless him. šŸ™

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This will sound awful, but I often wonder what JSA really thinks about Abbie and the IEP's they create for her. Shes been there 6 years, and I think they are aware of what she is capable of, and shopping? No. I mean, are they just moving her up by age? I did notice when Asa did film at school, Abbie was with kids who appeared to be her age. I guess my question is, is she in a class based on age, or ability? What do they do with a soon to be 17 yr old toddler? She obviously cant be in a class with younger kids, shes too large and may get rough. (and yes, we know shes capable of it) So do they just have her in a group of people her age, or are they also at her level? Because it seems her IEP's are based on what she "should" be doing at her age.
I don't know the answers to these excellent questions but I bet the answers are out there.
If I happen to find them I'll let you know. šŸ˜‰

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Usually private schools like this would have ā€œblended agedā€ classrooms, based on disabilities. Just like the Pre-vocational, vocational and ADLs classrooms. What I am seeing, last year, Abbie was in ā€œmiddle schoolā€ range, so they would have a regular classroom, pre-vocational classroom (where Abbie was) and a full EC classroom. These would be a combined with all age groups of middle schoolers. Meaning, one classroom (minimum) for pre-Voc training, one classroom (minimum) for regular classes and one classroom (minimum) for EC students that wouldnā€™t be on a course tracking or be able to start pre-vocational training, all within the middle school age group.
This year, Abbie turned into high school age, the school has vocational training classes (where they go to workplaces), sometimes a pre-vocational classroom (which would still be working on getting ready to go to a classroom), and then a ADLs classroom (working on daily living within the house and community), which is where Abbie was sent to. These would be all blended with older kids than Abbie, aging out at the 22 years of age. Then it goes into a different day program and eventually the learning/living village.
This is what I have seen and been able to pick apart from JSA and other programs like them. They do have just full educational classrooms, that a handful of students attend, that are on a high school graduation track and can support them but it isnā€™t what they are really trying to focus on.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
It seems like it's not just her school either. I'm not naming people but if you have a degree and legally treat people you should probably tell the parents a realistic outcome. >.>
Like of course A and P would like Abs to be independent one day. They should have been sat down by mutliple people and told their goals aren't realistic but here is a realistic goal. You can't really fault parents when they are being fed BS. I really hope they find a better provider and get therapy for themselves and as a couple.

ETA: I'm not saying A and P aren't horrible for other things.

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
Iā€™m inspired by the racist rant,

ā€œOompah loompah fiddledee dee. Look out Assaā€™s gonna block you and me!ā€ šŸ¤£

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
It seems like it's not just her school either. I'm not naming people but if you have a degree and legally treat people you should probably tell the parents a realistic outcome. >.>
Like of course A and P would like Abs to be independent one day. They should have been sat down by mutliple people and told their goals aren't realistic but here is a realistic goal. You can't really fault parents when they are being fed BS. I really hope they find a better provider and get therapy for themselves and as a couple.

It may be that the school have been honest with A & P but they choose not to believe it. Same goes for other professionals theyā€™ve worked with. Ass always thinks he knows best.
Saying that, if I had a child with disabilities, I would still try to push them to be the best they could be. I saw a TT video the other day where a mum pointed out that doctors said her adopted son wouldnā€™t be able to walk, etcā€¦He has issues, but has proved all the experts wrong.
The professionals can only do so much. Abbie has lazy parents. They donā€™t follow through with anything and if they had when she was younger, she mightā€™ve been more capable of doing more.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

I watched a video from when they were still in the rental, P&A were at a luncheon talking about autism and P was all excited talking about Abs eventually going into a group home on the JSA campus, she added that Abs had to be potty trained to qualify and that's what they were working on. Poor delusional Prissassapotomus. She quickly went from caring mother to theiving scam artist because we all know mothering is just not her jam anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Your post really helped me see the bigger picture. I was looking at it as, hey, she can pay for her snacks like anyone else, where as I should be thinking, what a stupid unattainable goal, why not... Abbie will choose which flavored cookies to buy while shopping in the community! This new outlook will help me at work. Thank you all for keeping it real!!ā¤
Reading my post, I sound super sarcastic! I promise, I'm not! LOL

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I agree about realistic expectations but I would think that when independence is talked about itā€™s not only in relation to children becoming independent adults. I mean you could talk about independence in a toddler being able to independently walk, or throw something in the trash, eat with a utensilā€¦.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
P is only a proud parent when it makes her look good, otherwise I have to say she doesn't love Abbie.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.