Fathering Autism #11 S.O.S. we need vlog content, gotta make back all the money we spent

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know what more can possibly be done with and for this poor child. Maybe a fully trained (mature adult) aid/teacher full time, during the daytime hours, would be a good idea. Possibly akin to how Crazy Nanny use to care for her, with art projects (that is not for profit) and learning games on her level. Or maybe a daycare center for kids her age with similar issues. There has to be another way. I know, not my kid (grandkid at my age), not my problem...but throughout the years of watching her, I have come to care about her.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I agree with you too but do we really think that these fools are going to what they need to be doing. bleeping A even said in a recent vlog that they are doing what the school “wants them to do.” Dead giveaway. And they are going to use their vlogs to document what they have done because why not kill two birds with one stone. I forget what the theory is called but there is a theory that by the time you are 18 years old, the habits you have in place and the mentality you have are pretty much set in stone. There is like a 10-20% chance that you can change your behaviors at that point. Now, of course Abbie is just about to turn 15... so when I think about her 18 year old brain in a few years, she wouldn’t have accomplished a quarter of what she should have by then. So, with her lazy parents and how far gone she is now, she is going to stay where she’s at- forever begging for food, not able to bathe or clothe herself, not able to cook or clean, etc

Reactions: 11
I hear what you're saying and I see the same things in the vlog that you do. My thing is, if A&P are only doing the bare minimum with her, then yeah, the results are going to be pretty bad. I would be more accepting of it if A&P were doing everything in their power to help her and it just wasn't getting any results. If they were to do the things at home that JSA & Brandy tell them to do, if Asa didn't do stupid things on tik tok like encouraging her to steal food, if they accepted that she is not a ''typical teen'' and needs more care & supervision. Do you see what I mean? Of course it appears on the surface that Abbie is as far as she's going to get, but we haven't seen A&P really and truly try with her.
I'm not saying that suddenly her mentality is going to magically end up matching her physical age, but I do think she could progress a little farther than what she is now.
something must have happened between Becca and them that she never comes around much. She teacges Abby alot more than any of them do.

Reactions: 7
I am of the mind that Abbie can learn more. Her comprehension skills aside, a huge MAJOR problem is A&P not putting in the effort and being consistent with her. Those things play a very significant role in this. As a result of them only doing the bare minimum with her, she has regressed a lot and learned a lot of bad habits. I don't think this makes her a lost cause. I don't think she is entirely beyond help. With a lot of hard work, effort and consistency, I think Abbie could definitely improve.
I don't think she's ever had the consistency from A&P. I do think she is capable of more, or would have been, had A&P fought the school board less and just worked with her more.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Abby isn't a lost cause. I have worked with children way less capable than her. So I am not speaking out of optimism but from experience and education. Do I think she will learn much in her current situation? Nope. Because autism plus IDD means she needs a lot of work from everyone involved. Not only that but consistency and repetition. Which isn't something she is getting. No she will never live an independent life. She will always need 24hour care in one way or another. But she is not incapable. No she isn't capable the same way most are. That is obvious.

Looking at another living thing and saying that they are worthless seriously makes me sad for the person saying it. And really hope they never have a parent have a stroke. Dementia, alzheimers... or a child/loved one with a spinal cord injury... or gods forbid they themselves find they are in a situation that they are dependent on others to have even the smallest bit of compassion or understanding.
If I didn’t have compassion for Abbie I would not be on here attacking her parents and how they have done her all her life. I seriously don’t give a tit about their house, their pool and how they eat expensive food. I’ve never commented on that. My only comments have been about how they treat her, how she is now and how stupidly they “parent.” I definitely feel for her and want her to get out of the situation she is in. These people are nuts and they are making money off of her. That is why I don’t even comment on their “material things.” Even a drug dealer can come up the way they did - they’re just using their child.

Reactions: 13
something must have happened between Becca and them that she never comes around much. She teacges Abby alot more than any of them do.
I would hope she's sheltering in place. Florida is worse off than anyone knows yet with the Coronavirus. Between Spring Break falling a few weeks ago and the number of people we have here who are at high risk, it is scary.

Reactions: 11
She badly needs a token/rewards chart like Cody Speaks vids on FB. There are no consequences for her actions. I’d be laying down the law now about the clothing in the pool. Unfortunately, unless they rig a lasso, there’s no getting her out. She’ll only enjoy someone going in after her. She should be made to wash her wet clothes & also dry/fold/put away. Good luck w/ all that Maass’. It won’t be cute when she’s still doing this daily until you break her of this habit.

Regarding the pool clip, I think A & I are trolling the ones here who thinks Isa. is being incest like in the pool when behind Abbie. 🤦🏻‍♀️
I’m not saying I know of a better solution but tokens/rewards sometimes don’t work, because then we feel like we’re doing it for someone else, not ourselves, and also with some behaviours there can be a very distressing reason behind them, eg if one were to reward/punish Abbie in regards to her biting, then they wouldn’t be addressing *why* she might be biting. So in general rewards can sometimes mess with one’s mind/backfire...but they do need to start being more strict with Abbie re. her violent behaviour...yet also address the CAUSES BEFORE it, which would be much more educational and helpful for people/families struggling than what they currently have going on atm...🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Abby isn't a lost cause. I have worked with children way less capable than her. So I am not speaking out of optimism but from experience and education. Do I think she will learn much in her current situation? Nope. Because autism plus IDD means she needs a lot of work from everyone involved. Not only that but consistency and repetition. Which isn't something she is getting. No she will never live an independent life. She will always need 24hour care in one way or another. But she is not incapable. No she isn't capable the same way most are. That is obvious.

Looking at another living thing and saying that they are worthless seriously makes me sad for the person saying it. And really hope they never have a parent have a stroke. Dementia, alzheimers... or a child/loved one with a spinal cord injury... or gods forbid they themselves find they are in a situation that they are dependent on others to have even the smallest bit of compassion or understanding.
Thank you. That is exactly my point. In order for Abbie to learn, the person teaching her has to be completely involved, put in a lot of effort and most of all - consistency and repetition. Abbie struggles to stay on task partly because of the lack of consistency and reinforcement. Things like cleaning her room, Asa said they very rarely have her do it, so of course she isn't going to be that great at it on the odd occasion they ask her to do it. There is also the problem that they give in to her far too easily and she has learned that if she throws a big fit, they'll give in to her. Or if she signs "break" a bunch of times, then she doesn't have to complete the task. With Brandy, she would let Abbie take 1 - 5 minute breaks, timed on Brandy's phone, and then put Abbie back to work to complete the task. A&P don't do that. They have almost no follow through. I also wonder if Abbie has some degree of ADD which contributes to her difficulty with staying focused on a task?

• Heart
Watching these recent vlogs have really made me feel so sorry for her teachers at school. Like for real. And they keep telling these idiots to work on stuff that they don’t end up working on. Perfect example - they had sent homework for her as the school was going to have a restaurant outing the next day or so, and here is bleeping Pig going through it the “morning of.” Not the night before but the day of. Shows how dedicated parents they are for sure. Who bleeping works on their homework on the day of? Right before getting in the car? Only time I used to that is to revise my work and for extra study time using the ride to school.

Reactions: 16
If I didn’t have compassion for Abbie I would not be on here attacking her parents and how they have done her all her life. I seriously don’t give a tit about their house, their pool and how they eat expensive food. I’ve never commented on that. My only comments have been about how they treat her, how she is now and how stupidly they “parent.” I definitely feel for her and want her to get out of the situation she is in. These people are nuts and they are making money off of her. That is why I don’t even comment on their “material things.” Even a drug dealer can come up the way they did - they’re just using their child.
I agree. Sadly no one will ever know what Ab will have ever been capable of. She has caregivers that only care about theirselves and money. Only doing bare minimum. Maybe at some point they had good intentions but that is long gone now. Ab is who is suffering and will continue to.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I worked in a group home for nearly a year. She would have to be not only in a very high level home, but you are right- we would not be able to handle someone like Abbie. My clients were mostly able to care for themselves (hygiene) if they were prompted. We made sure they had their meals and meds, their home was clean, but they were able to manage themselves much better than I have ever seen abbie do. She will always need intense one on one care. The best we could do for her would be to medicate the hell out of her, as we simply dong have the resources for someone of her needs.

It sucks and is sad, but is true. I'm glad that summer and Isaiah seem to care for abbie as much as they do, because someone needs to watch out for her after Asa and Priscilla pass away.
Well (and I speak with 0 experience so bear that in mind :) )
Wouldn’t it be better to address the BEHAVIOUR since behaviour is communication?! And also, like other have been saying for ages on this page, ENTERTAIN HER! I think I now see what ppl mean when they say her anger is also out of boredom but also out of and not being listened to, eg if she wants a snack, yes A&P, it is still possible to give her a snack, maybe a cracker or some carrot sticks or something 🤷‍♀️
All just imo

Reactions: 10
Nobody has a life in that house, it’s all about Abbie and what she wants. They really need to have other interests besides her. She dominates the household.
Watching miss piggy showing her how to make a sandwich was a lesson in futility. All the cult were saying how great she did and how smart she is. The school work is a farce, she doesn’t even look at the task they are showing her, zero engagement.
Jumping in the pool fully clothed again, Summer laughing like a hyena, great Job Abbie, not.
It’s all a load of bollocks, she doesn’t understand any of it and it’s time they stopped pretending that A will be anything more than what you can see.
No amount of vlogs will change the fact that she is severely IDD.
And Summer wants to do ABA or whatever? All she seems to be at the moment is a personal maid, not someone that is doing a degree at University.

• Haha
  • Heart
Ahh...thank you. The other day when they were trying to do the crossing the street crap with Abbie, I noticed a few houses across the street. Not knocking those houses, but I was thinking they didnt fit in....or the Maass house didnt fit in...one or the other. I grew up in one of thoses little Cape Cods so I noticed right away.

They have no clue what prime rib is. She cooked it like a pork butt LOL
I grew up in a house that had 2 walk in coolers and a walk in freezer , yup father was a butcher who would be mortified with how they cook expensive cuts of beef. My idea of shopping for meat was running to the parents house lol. A & P are so out of touch with reality they may never find their way back

• Heart
I grew up in a house that had 2 walk in coolers and a walk in freezer , yup father was a butcher who would be mortified with how they cook expensive cuts of beef. My idea of shopping for meat was running to the parents house lol. A & P are so out of touch with reality they may never find their way back
Maybe real reason butcher block stepped away from them.... they saw the crap job they do properly preparing food...

• Haha
Has anyone noticed that Isaiah is getting the same body shape as his father, I'm trying to be diplomatic here 😉

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Thank you. That is exactly my point. In order for Abbie to learn, the person teaching her has to be completely involved, put in a lot of effort and most of all - consistency and repetition. Abbie struggles to stay on task partly because of the lack of consistency and reinforcement. Things like cleaning her room, Asa said they very rarely have her do it, so of course she isn't going to be that great at it on the odd occasion they ask her to do it. There is also the problem that they give in to her far too easily and she has learned that if she throws a big fit, they'll give in to her. Or if she signs "break" a bunch of times, then she doesn't have to complete the task. With Brandy, she would let Abbie take 1 - 5 minute breaks, timed on Brandy's phone, and then put Abbie back to work to complete the task. A&P don't do that. They have almost no follow through. I also wonder if Abbie has some degree of ADD which contributes to her difficulty with staying focused on a task?
you're saying everything I'm thinking, and saying it wonderfully! we have all seen that she is capable of learning some of these tasks/skills, because we've seen her do them in the past, and she has regressed. and I understand that it would be exhausting to have to constantly work with her on these things - but they work from home, and this is their literal job. there is no excuse for them to not be following through on these things from school/ABA at home. they need to stop saying that Abbie thrives on chaos and start working on a schedule and consistency for her.

• Heart
A few thoughts.
1st I think Summer just adds to the problem of Abbie's bad behavior. She always laughs when Abbie does something she shouldn'tdo. Example, the latest time Abbie jumped in the pool with her clothes on, I could actually hear Summer laughing before Abbie even hit the water. She is always tickling or wrestling which is confusing to Abbie because she cant distinguish when it's okay and when it's not...like with a stranger. And in the vlog where Summer returned, she hid and jumped out & chased Abbie around. Not to mention she always rewards with candy.

About Isaiah inappropriateness with Abbie. I actually think he is at times. But I think he's sonaive about it. Imean come on, he's heard his whole life that she's so cute, etc etc. I actually believe that he may have some serious emotional/mental issues simply because of growing up in that house. I dont think he would purposely molest his sister but I do think he's confused about it.

As far as P dancing and doing all those moves constantly....well...I guess she thinks she's hot stuff. She makes me sick.

And as far as what to teach Abby. I think the 1st order of business should be just basic life skills. By that I mean brushing teeth, controlling yelling when outside like in restaurants and stuff. And to not steal food. That could be done if they were strict and repetitive about it. I'm talking basic skills so she can go out in public safely without too much of a ruckus.

I too feel very sad about Abbie's capabilities and her future. I honestly dont think it helps to do most of the stuff they try to do with her..even at her school. Not meaning to be harsh but much of it is pointless. Other than teaching her the few things I listed I think the focus should be on keeping Abbie entertained. Sit with her & try that porcupine thing, do some sensory toys, stuff like that. More for her happiness more than for any learning potential

Well that's it for now!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.