Facial Serum recommendations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone use a serum that actually works? It's one thing I don't use but don't know what one to choose. I cleanse, tone, moisturise (oil & moisturiser). I'm not really a just for the sake of it person, I want something that does it's job.

I had a sample bottle of Loccitane Immortelle but it smelt like piss 🤣 I got a couple of weeks use out of it but never noticed a difference. Not worth the smell.

I use Tropic, I know a large amount of people think it's over priced and won't use it due to certain influencers but my skin has been great since I started using it 2 years ago. The serums I use from them are 1.pure lagoon once daily 2. Rainforest dew every 2nd day 3. Fruit peel twice per week 4. Supergreens twice per week. I've tried the other 2 serums and they aren't for me. I also rate the avocado serum white rabbit skincare do

Reactions: 1
Thank you, I had never heard about them until you mentioned. I think you expect to pay a bit more for serum & I'd rather pay a bit extra for something worth while. It's so hard to know what will work though. My skins dry & sensitive, my pores are huge 🙈 I only use a magnifying mirror so that probably doesn't help as they look like craters 😂

I ended up ordering an Algenist serum today. Had £25 off so the discount was too good to miss. Hopefully it works.

I’ve been using products from The Ordinary after people on my FB raving about them. I went on their own website and it tells you what products to use and in what order for your skin type. Mine has included a daily serum, moisturiser and weekly serum skin peel. I’ve been using them now for around 3 weeks and I must say I’m impressed by the quality and price. I wasn’t expecting much as I bought all 3 products for less than £20. I found the products that I needed off their website but bought them from Look Fantastic.

Reactions: 4
I love look fantastic! Always get money off from there. That's where I bought serum from today.
I've seen the Ordinary mentioned so many times, wish I had known earlier. I can always try it once I've used this one. Do you know if they're any good for sensitive skin?

I use ordinary and love it. They have different products for different skin types and what you are looking for example if you need something for blemishes or acne or dull face etc. Have a browse on their website and see what you are looking for and the products have a description and recommended use for am or pm.

Reactions: 2
Thank you! What Ordinary products have you all found best? I just had a read, they look great. So much to choose from. I can't get over the price too. Barbara Sturm Hyaluronic Serum is £235, for me that's absolutely staggering. It would be interesting to compare the ingredients!

• Wow
It totally depends on what it is you're trying to target with your serum. If you're trying to target fine lines or ageing, I always think it's best to go straight to the only proven thing to help - retinoids (like tretinoin) or a more gentle derivative like retinol which you can ease into. If you're looking to even out your skintone, brighten it or fight pigmentation, vitamin c is best. However, if you're looking for something hydrating, hyaluronic acid is always the way to go. The Ordinary have one for about a fiver, but I personally think The Inkey List's is nicer and for around the same price. For ultimate hydration, there is Hada Labo Gokujyun Premium Lotion - a Japanese hyaluronic acid with zero fragrance or alcohol which would be good for sensitive skin. You can find it easily on eBay, however right now the new US/UK version of this product has dropped and is on offer on Superdrug for just under £12. 'Hada Labo Tokyo Super Hydrator Lotion'. This may be of interest to you as you have dry skin. The Ordinary's 'Buffet' is a great all-rounder serum and at a really affordable price given its benefits. The Ordinary's Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% is also a great serum if you struggle with large pores, uneven skintone or blemishes.

I always find it's easier to get serums for each 'problem'. So I'll use vitamin c in the morning along with hyaluronic acid, and then in the evening I'll use niacinamide if my skin is acting up or just something more hydrating if I'm using tretinoin.

Some serums off the top of my head that are great:
Manyo Factory Bifidalacto Complex - This stuff is raved about on reddit. People say it's a dupe for Estee Lauder Night Repair. Packed with lots of fermented ingredients, niacinamide and copper tripeptide. Great for plumping the skin.
NIOD Copper Amino Isolate Serum - This just gives an overall more youthful complexion. It's great at repairing the skin. I can't even pinpoint what's so special about this stuff; I just love it and think of it as liquid gold. A wonderful product as is NIOD's 'RE: Pigment'.
Dr Jart Cicapair Tiger Grass Re.Pair Serum - Amazingly calming. If you deal with sensitivity or any kind of redness, this is heavenly.
COSRX Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence - The first ever Korean skincare product I bought. It gives beautiful hydration and makes your skin feel so plump. Can be good for evening out skintone, too.
Superdrug Simply Pure Hydrating Serum - I'm sure everyone knows this by now. £2.99 and the one thing I will buy in bulk because it's seriously just that amazing for the price.
Garden of Wisdom's serums (found on Victoria Health) - Alpha Arbutin 2% and Kojic Acid 1%, Super Bakuchiol.
Paula's Choice booster serums.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you! I went for Algenist reconstructing serum as it seemed to tick some boxes, brightening & even skin tone!

I'd like to get in there with the lines before they do become a problem 😂 I have Drunk Elephant retinol cream but admittedly I haven't used it as I'm a bit scared in case it's harsh.

I'll definitely look into your suggestions, thank you. I'm dealing with a bit of sensitivity & dryness at the moment which isn't pleasant, especially near the eyes. Stings when they water. Nightmare.

Last edited:
I used to use the ordinary products and I did like and enjoy using them. Around 5 months ago I switched to beauty pie, I am obsessed the best products I've ever used, I have 29 years working in the beauty industry. I turned 50 in april, I wear just tinted moisturizer sometimes just concealer now, I cannot recommend highly enough

Thank you! What Ordinary products have you all found best? I just had a read, they look great. So much to choose from. I can't get over the price too. Barbara Sturm Hyaluronic Serum is £235, for me that's absolutely staggering. It would be interesting to compare the ingredients!
I have used the niacinamide and zinc serum and hydraulic acid and b5 serum and I think they work well on my skin.

I have saw so many raves for The Ordinary but after looking at the think dirty app I stopped using a lot of products. If anyone has any natural product recommendations other tha that tropic let me know

I love clarins double serum but it’s v pricey! I save boots points and get it with them. I like The Ordinary serum but found it a bit sticky so just use it at night occasionally. I used Germaine de Capuccini hyaluronic after having a few facials using their products. It was so lovely but quite hard to track down online. I am so intrigued by beauty pie but have no idea how it works 🤪 x

I'm confused about serum. When and why should we use it?
I got a Superdrug one which is combined with moisturiser and use it in the morning on cleanser skin.
Same regarding Facial oil.
When and why?
Thanks.

Interested in following this thread. I use superdrug optimum retinol serum on my forehead every night and I do think it’s made a slight difference to my forehead lines. I would however be willing to pay quite a high price for a serum to make them even less noticeable. Is it really possible to reduce wrinkles, what do you think?

Use the serum after cleansing & before the face oil 😊

A wee update. I started using Algenist Reconstructing Serum on Friday every day am & pm. Friday pm & Sat am I also used Sunday Riley Good Genes which I got as a sample. My skin looks so clear, fresh & healthy I'm very shocked at the difference. Good Gene's but it did have a reddening effect.

I'd recommend to follow Dr Barbara Sturm on insta. Her serums are unfortunately out of my price range but she does live q&a & skin school. To be able to get free advice from her is amazing. She did say today she would never put a retinoid on her skin & Good Gene's falls into a similar category. Guess I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks what one has made such a difference to my skin.

I have started using a vitamin c serum only from home bargains £3.99 I think it was but my god it’s amazing my skin is glowing and I actually went out without foundation on yesterday.

Boots Botanical Oil is good and the Boots Sanctuary one is ace, my skin feels so plump and looks great when I use it. It’s about £17 but is often on offer, well worth it. I love a serum or oil, I use a hot cloth cleanser then oil every night. I massage my face with the oil in an attempt to get rid of the jowls 😂😂 try it, it will make your skin lovely in the morning but will you look greasy at night!

I don’t really know why we should use serums but for me, I feel they hydrate my face really nicely. I use the Clarins double serum and I find it’s my holy grail. I wear it under make up and I find it’s the perfect make up base for me. I have no idea if it should be used this way but my make up goes on flawlessly when i use it.