Facebook Marketplace - Let’s hear your stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else have the worst luck on Facebook marketplace?! Let’s hear your stories

It makes me laugh when people say £100 cash pick up today
What else were you going to pay with... Monopoly money?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
no the best ones are the ones who want something but then you to drop it off for nothing.

Reactions: 6
Boils my piss when you advertise something, get lots of responses, but no-one has actually checked your location. You then get 'Sorry, it's too far for me', or 'Can you deliver?' (No, it's not Amazon love). People then just stop communicating at all when it comes to collection.

Reactions: 9
I was selling an Ikea tv cabinet for work as it was left in our new office space. I put in the description “buyer must dismantle and carry down stairs, price is so low for quick sale and to reflect this”
Someone messaged me to ask if I would dismantle it and once I’d done that, if I would deliver and when I said no, she asked if I could go and watch her kids whilst she dismantled it and brought it home...I didn’t know this woman nor her kids. She was a bit shirty when I said no?!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
What annoys me are the people who send the ‘is this still available?’ message but then never reply I get so many of these. Honestly are there losers out there who send the messages just for a quick thrill?!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I gave up with it, too many time wasters! Was trying to sell a few baby bits I had never even used. People would say they were coming everyday for 2 weeks and not show. Had at least two people turn up with not enough money. I put a brand new changing bag with tags on in packaging worth £70 for £20 and someone offered me £5. In the end I got so fed up with being pissed about I sold a few bits on ebay (just as bad) and the rest went to the baby bank as if I'm practically going to give it away I'd rather it went to people who would appreciate it. People want things but don't want to pay for them now and think because it's second hand (even if its new) that they're entitled to it for nothing. I just give stuff to charities now!

Reactions: 10
I was giving a Christmas tree away for FREE a few years ago, it was perfectly fine and in a good condition, we’d just got a new one. People actually had the audacity to ask if I could deliver it! The cheek of some people 😂

Also when you’re selling items and people clearly don’t read the description properly and just ask you the questions you’ve already answered 🙄

Reactions: 8
Ebays just as bad. Took a lady 2 days to pay me and had the cheek an hour later to ask if I’d posted. She paid at 8pm 😫.
Then denied receiving nearly 4 weeks later. Thankfully the receipt was in my bag still.

What annoys me are the people who send the ‘is this still available?’ message but then never reply I get so many of these. Honestly are there losers out there who send the messages just for a quick thrill?!
I hate that too. Facebook even prompts you to reply if you haven’t in a set time so I always reply then they just ignore you?!

I also hate people who decide they want the item so you give your address and they then say it’s too far. 🙄 the location and postcode is on the item description, decide it’s too far before you waste my bloody time!

Oh and I just remembered I sold something on eBay, a little child’s dress. I said I would only post to the UK but someone purchased it and then sent me an address to post it to in America. I asked eBay what I should do, they said I could cancel the sale or add postage to a separate invoice. I messaged the buyer to inform them and she didn’t reply so I left it a few days then cancelled the sale. She then Sent me an abusive message to say she was going to pay the extra and why had I cancelled it...she hadn’t even paid the original invoice for the item at that point. I gave up on eBay then!

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I hate that too. Facebook even prompts you to reply if you haven’t in a set time so I always reply then they just ignore you?!

I also hate people who decide they want the item so you give your address and they then say it’s too far. 🙄 the location and postcode is on the item description, decide it’s too far before you waste my bloody time!

Oh and I just remembered I sold something on eBay, a little child’s dress. I said I would only post to the UK but someone purchased it and then sent me an address to post it to in America. I asked eBay what I should do, they said I could cancel the sale or add postage to a separate invoice. I messaged the buyer to inform them and she didn’t reply so I left it a few days then cancelled the sale. She then Sent me an abusive message to say she was going to pay the extra and why had I cancelled it...she hadn’t even paid the original invoice for the item at that point. I gave up on eBay then!
Yes I had this I sent messages to one just last week for 5 days then cancelled she messaged me within minutes how her kids were ill and hadn’t logged on was so so abusive 😳 eBay sends you messages to your phone, it’s so rude.It takes .5 seconds to pay.

Reactions: 2
Ahhh it's so frustrating!!

When I left England to live in Australia, I sold literally everything we owned on a local facebook buy and sell page (was a small town so almost everyone knew everyone else, so worked out well).

Now I use marketplace to try and sell and it's a bloody nightmare! I live in quite rural Aus (but not far off a main highway), I always put my location in the ad title. Buyers always ask where I'm located. I now reply "says on ad" and they reply that it doesn't....so I passive aggressivily screenshot my ad and put a huge red circle around the very specific location details. They then vanish forever.

Or the ones who offer you less than half of what you've advertised at! I always price more than fairly just to get rid of things, so those low ball chancers really duck me off.

I get so many people saying too 50 cash? Like OP said, WTF else will they be paying with?!!!

I sold a handbag the other day, lady turned out to be lovely, but she arrived at my property (still parked on the road down a 500m driveway) and messaged me to tell me she had arrived. Had to tell her to drive up the driveway and come to the door! No way was I walking down there at 38 weeks pregnant in 42°c heat!

Or if you advertise something as working perfectly, show in pics it works perfectly, yet they ask if it works?!

Sold a marquee brand new in the box as accidently ordered the wrong one and thought I'd try and sell on there to save sending it back. People asked if all parts are there, wether it had been damaged and if I have a picture of it erected. NOOOO

Or if you sell a large item and someone asks you if they can buy. Agree. They then tell you they have a tiny car. Rightttttt, your logistics aren't my problem, find a friend or hire a trailer? They're hinting for delivery without asking. Annoying as duck.

People who come with incorrect money. Or no money?? Had two separate people turn up who hadn't got any money with them. You'll have to go to an ATM then and come back hey. No I do not have change for a $50 for a $2 item.....

And sometimes buying is just as bad. The amount of grubby things I've bought (or in some cases not bought!) that have been described as immaculate.

Reactions: 3
I’ve been really successful!! Never made much but it’s gets it out of my house and I get more than I can at a car boot, made enough money this month for my annual birthday trip to Winchester!! My parents sell a lot of furniture and get messed about!! Things that go within seconds are up to date home things, anything Next and River Island with tags and kids Joules and designer. My parents have always had shops and my husband is self employed, the general public at large are nuts it’s just something you get used to x

I was selling an interactive chuggington train set my son had outgrown, it was in great condition, been really well looked after and was a steal for the price, it sold almost right away, a woman came to collect it.....then messaged me an hour later saying she was bringing it back as "they didn't say enough" she said she expected full on conversations....from plastic trains! 😂 she said I shouldn't describe it as interactive if it didn't say much LOL
I told her the trains interacted with EACH OTHER and the signal boxes etc but she said it was misleading, she brought them back, got her money back and I re sold them within the hour to someone with much more realistic expectations of a childs toy

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I was selling an interactive chuggington train set my son had outgrown, it was in great condition, been really well looked after and was a steal for the price, it sold almost right away, a woman came to collect it.....then messaged me an hour later saying she was bringing it back as "they didn't say enough" she said she expected full on conversations....from plastic trains! 😂 she said I shouldn't describe it as interactive if it didn't say much LOL
I told her the trains interacted with EACH OTHER and the signal boxes etc but she said it was misleading, she brought them back, got her money back and I re sold them within the hour to someone with much more realistic expectations of a childs toy
Aye she needs to go get her meds in check.

• Haha
I was selling our car, my little run around as we couldn’t justify running two cars. It was £600, worth every penny. Nothing fancy but in very good condition, fsh, one owner, years MOT etc etc. The messages I got ffs. Would I swap for a phone? A dog? (No I’m not even joking. Several offers of other cars despite stating why I was selling it. Would I sell just the seats and how much? (I replied yeah, no problem, £600 and I’ll throw in the rest of the car for free) The best one was a guy messaged “I’ll give you £150. My best offer” out of the blue. Yeah I bet you would mate. Shall I fill the tank and deliver it for you as well? I took it off and told my husband we’ll advertise it in auto trader 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Selling my old car. It’s been sat around for about two years used occasionally by a visiting family member. Priced at £1000. The amount of sob stories I got about why I should give it away for free. One person even asked if I’d swap for some Younique products!

• Haha
  • Wow
I sell stuff on Gumtree. Have had very similar experiences to the above. Someone once offered me a bunch of suspect unwanted booze for something I was selling. And many, many people turn up without the correct money. I don’t like people coming to my house and prefer to meet them somewhere, even if it’s just down the road. There are many odd bods out there. I have delivered locally for people, but I usually ask for a couple of extra pounds for petrol money.

Reactions: 1
Not quite fb market place but a group I was in
A lady asked if anyone had any pale pink paint
I did (almost a full tin-I’d just painted my sons room-he was going through his pink phase)
Arranged to meet in town-2 miles down the road-I lugged it into town with 6 grumpy kids in a heatwave
She didn’t show
Claimed her kid was in hospital
Asked if I’d deliver-like a mug and not wanting it to go to waste I did-cost a fortune for a taxi
So got to her flat
She refused to answer the door
Claimed she was rowing with her bloke and didn’t hear the door
Then asked if she could meet at end of my street
A prize to whoever thought she didn’t show!
All I wanted was to get rid of this blasted paint
So I added a comment to her status on the group saying she’d wasted my time and that if I’d done it to her then she would have gone mental and if she didn’t want it then all she had to do was tell me
She went ape tit-she tried to drag me into an online row about how I hadn’t bothered to show up and I was the time waster (and got all her mates to attack me too
Oh and she was shagging my cousin (??? duck knows why that mattered-I’d never met him-I didn’t even know he existed)
So I blocked her
She somehow got hold of my phone number and hounded me
She also got booted out of my place of work for being abusive
It took the police to get rid of her in the end
Never again-I have it to the stall for leftover paint at the tip

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
I've got some lovely sandals I'd only worn a couple of time on holiday so almost new . Most thing go to charity so I thought Id chance marketplace. Flat ,strappy.... I had a bloke message if I had any photos wearing them and if not could I take one. I found it very odd. I removed the sandals and sent them off to charity .

I gave a lot of baby things away on a local netmums for free and was bombarded with people asking for free delivery...

• Wow
I put some stuff for free a while back in the hope to help out new parents or what not.
Nothing could have prepared me for the ‘any more free stuff’ ‘I need more baby clothes’ ‘is there a jacket to match this top’ messages I received after they took them 😳

Reactions: 1