Fabric softener, to use or not to use?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been reading a lot online about people who have stopped using fabric softener. I admit I go through a lot of it and love the smell but this year I really want to try and cut down on excess consumerism. Is it a necessity for you?

I’ve been reading a lot online about people who have stopped using fabric softener. I admit I go through a lot of it and love the smell but this year I really want to try and cut down on excess consumerism. Is it a necessity for you?

I make up this in a one litre bottle: 300ml water, 300ml white vinegar, 45ml vegetable glycerine, 30 drops of lemon oil. Shake.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have a bottle but I hardly use it, usually only for bed covers or the throws that cover the sofa if I want a bit of extra scent. I think it would be a good idea to reduce how much you use, you don't need it in every wash. I think its quite bad for the washing machine too.

Reactions: 1
Thanks for the home made solution, the cost benefits of not buying it will also be great! and @Podcat it’s good to hear someone who has it and barely uses it!

I no longer use Fabric conditioner, when i did i would use the smallest amount and the washing smelt really pungent and made the clothes feel different. I have been buying washing capsules and that works a treat.

• Heart
I ran out recently and noticed a big difference in the amount of bubbles the washing machine produces without it. My clothes feel a lot cleaner without.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You guys are all brilliant! Thank you for getting rid of all my doubts 🙌🏻

No
Not necessary and some have toxic chems. Fabric softner can help aid towels being softer. Its the only time I use it as towels can be dry but you can wash them and let towels dry naturally then its ok.

Even better make youre own fabric conditioner if you want to be kinder to the environment. You tube got all that on there!!
I use waitrose fabric softners they smell natural.

Ive gone from the PS chat to Laundry. Love it 😆

• Heart
No

Not necessary and some have toxic chems. Fabric softner can help aid towels being softer. Its the only time I use it as towels can be dry but you can wash them and let towels dry naturally then its ok.

Even better make youre own fabric conditioner if you want to be kinder to the environment. You tube got all that on there!!
I use waitrose fabric softners they smell natural.

Ive gone from the PS chat to Laundry. Love it 😆
I can’t even keep up with PS chat 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Towels shouldn't be washed with a softener, because it's reduces their absorbency.

I recommend white vinegar instead. Or white vinegar and Natbrands softener thing.

Reactions: 6
Towels shouldn't be washed with a softener, because it's reduces their absorbency.

I recommend white vinegar instead. Or white vinegar and Natbrands softener thing.
My sist uses vinegar too! I use a vinegar based house spray for house cleaning not tested on animals too. Iuse supermarket brands as they arent testes on animals.

Cool cleaning tips. Cheers 😀

I use Ecover washing products and I do use their fabric conditioner in every wash (only about a 1/8 of a capful for towels as it can reduce their absorbency). I hate the feel of washing that hasn't had fabric softener added - feels "crunchy" and anything synthetic develops static. It's not like that because of my water though as I have a water softener, everything in the house except the drinking water tap is fed off the softener.

I've never used it and neither did my mum... don't like pungent scents and normal washing powder/liquid is scented enough for me. I never knew about not washing towels with fabric softener - I like my towels to be as rough as sandpaper as I never feel like soft fluffy towels get you dry, so I'm glad I don't use softener!

Reactions: 4
I used to use it but stopped last year. It wears down the fibers in clothes, especially jeans, as well as bed sheets, making them thinner.