Extreme Weather and Climate Change

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A thread to talk about the more extream weather that's happening.

Australia has gone from fires to floods, first snow in Baghdad in 12 years. Storm Ciara was apparently a once in a decade storm the UK and storm Dennis is on it's way for this weekend 🤷‍♀️

All the time these days there seems to be extreme weather if you look into it, I must miss most of the stories but I do worry hearing estimates of huge amounts of people that will be displaced in the coming years

Do they not say every storm we have is the worst in ages ? I don't really pay much attention just see the dramatic headlines on front of newspapers but I'm sure we had a storm they said the exact thing about which also caused floods.

I honestly think the extreme weather has been going on forever but it's the instant digital news. I mean would we have been aware of snow in Baghdad 20years ago? Worldwide news is so instant nowadays we know everything that's going on in all corners of the globe.

Do they not say every storm we have is the worst in ages ? I don't really pay much attention just see the dramatic headlines on front of newspapers but I'm sure we had a storm they said the exact thing about which also caused floods.

I honestly think the extreme weather has been going on forever but it's the instant digital news. I mean would we have been aware of snow in Baghdad 20years ago? Worldwide news is so instant nowadays we know everything that's going on in all corners of the globe.
Well I thought it could be that, but many things do seem to be "the worst on record". Obviously records aren't that far back and a tiny tiny blip in the history of the world. It weather does go through cycles, it seems unimaginable the Thames freezing over every winter and having markets on it, but that used to happen.

Not sure it's to do with social media either, my news mostly comes from having LBC on lots of the time and I don't scroll on social media. I did for this photo though
5cf0e8832f274d10bf2955819a393f29_8.jpg

Or following on from the conspiracy theory thread it's the government controlling the weather with planes and chem trails 🧐

Reactions: 2
Living in Canada, we see a lot of "extreme" weather that is the norm. Our summers are often +30 resulting in wild fires. Our winters can go down to - 40, with lots of snow. Where I am in the Rockies, we get chinook winds which have been around since forever. It can be -20 and the winds will come and push it up to +5 or even more. Idiot Leonardo Di Caprio came and filmed here and there was a chinook, the film crew explained it to him and he still went and it said was a sign of global warming. It isn't. I don't think "extreme" weather is as related to climate change as people worry about. I think it is fear mongering. "extreme" weather has been happening for years.

Extream weather is very subjective where you are. In London a cm of snow is extream :D

We do hear a lot "highest/lowest/wettest/driest" on record. I'm thinking it's the weather pattern that is changing. I'm sure it's happened many times over the millions of years the earth has existed for.

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but the industrial revolution was less than 300 years ago. We've dug up and burnt so many fossil fuels that took millions of years to form in the blink of an eye, I think that has to have some effect.

Reactions: 3
one of the biggest hoaxes going, sad thing is if you disagree with a 15-year-old you're labelled a denier/conspiracy theorist etc
plants thrive on co2
Had a customer one day,she's vegan,i asked why, she was about 18, she was actually terrified the world is going to die in 20 years
the fear in her eyes was scary.
i felt so sorry for her.

How many others are like her? creating mental illnesses and anxiety from it

Reactions: 1
one of the biggest hoaxes going, sad thing is if you disagree with a 15-year-old you're labelled a denier/conspiracy theorist etc
plants thrive on co2
Had a customer one day,she's vegan,i asked why, she was about 18, she was actually terrified the world is going to die in 20 years
the fear in her eyes was scary.
i felt so sorry for her.

How many others are like her? creating mental illnesses and anxiety from it
I guess you’re just being facetious but that 15 year old is hardly the one that broke the news about climate change to the world.
It doesn’t matter what you think of her, or vegans or what your politics are. No one denies that fluctuating weather and different phases are a normal phenomenon. Those changes are taken into account when assessing the data that proves climate change. What’s new and undeniable is the disproportionately rapid amount of warming in the last century or so and its impact (melting glaciers etc ).

It’s like if you cough a bit every now and then, just clearing your throat sometimes, pretty normal and unconcerning a few times a week , 51 weeks of a year. But then on the 52nd week you cough like crazy all 7 days. Lots of mucus. 9/ 10 doctors tell you you have cancer and need to change lifestyle and get chemo immediately. 1 doctor says you’re ok, it’s normal throat clearing, keep smoking . You’re going to get chemo right? Even if you actually feel a lot better on day 4, then go back to coughing.

It’s not a belief or perspective. I sound like a massive activist but I’m not at all. I’m not vegan, use single use plastics, fly a few times a year... im a normal person. I know I could do better but ultimately I think it’s too late for the small things to make a difference. Only huge changes with world leaders and oil companies could do it now and I think that’s very unlikely and we need to start thinking about how we’re going to live once past that point of no return. That part is a bit more of an opinion, some would say a pessimistic one - but that it’s happening is an undeniable fact.
I wish it wasn’t the case. But it doesn’t say anything about you as a person to accept you have cancer, it happens to anyone - it’s just the truth.

Reactions: 3
I guess you’re just being facetious but that 15 year old is hardly the one that broke the news about climate change to the world.
It doesn’t matter what you think of her, or vegans or what your politics are. No one denies that fluctuating weather and different phases are a normal phenomenon. Those changes are taken into account when assessing the data that proves climate change. What’s new and undeniable is the disproportionately rapid amount of warming in the last century or so and its impact (melting glaciers etc ).

It’s like if you cough a bit every now and then, just clearing your throat sometimes, pretty normal and unconcerning a few times a week , 51 weeks of a year. But then on the 52nd week you cough like crazy all 7 days. Lots of mucus. 9/ 10 doctors tell you you have cancer and need to change lifestyle and get chemo immediately. 1 doctor says you’re ok, it’s normal throat clearing, keep smoking . You’re going to get chemo right? Even if you actually feel a lot better on day 4, then go back to coughing.

It’s not a belief or perspective. I sound like a massive activist but I’m not at all. I’m not vegan, use single use plastics, fly a few times a year... im a normal person. I know I could do better but ultimately I think it’s too late for the small things to make a difference. Only huge changes with world leaders and oil companies could do it now and I think that’s very unlikely and we need to start thinking about how we’re going to live once past that point of no return. That part is a bit more of an opinion, some would say a pessimistic one - but that it’s happening is an undeniable fact.
I wish it wasn’t the case. But it doesn’t say anything about you as a person to accept you have cancer, it happens to anyone - it’s just the truth.

Temperatures in Antarctica hit all-time high of nearly 21C - just DAYS after previous record was broken

Scientists from Brazil say that temperatures in Antarctica have surpassed 20.7C (68F) Celsius for the first time on record.

The record-setting temperatures, measured on Seymour Island this week and first reported by The Guardian, come just six days after similarly record breaking temperatures at an Argentinian research station at Esperanza which recorded a temperature of 18.3C.

Global sea levels could rise as much as 10ft (3 metres) if the Thwaites Glacier in West Antarctica collapses.

Sea level rises threaten cities from Shanghai to London, to low-lying swathes of Florida or Bangladesh, and to entire nations such as the Maldives.

In the UK, for instance, a rise of 6.7ft (2 metres) or more may cause areas such as Hull, Peterborough, Portsmouth and parts of east London and the Thames Estuary at risk of becoming submerged.

The collapse of the glacier, which could begin with decades, could also submerge major cities such as New York and Sydney.

Parts of New Orleans, Houston and Miami in the south on the US would also be particularly hard hit.

A 2014 study looked by the union of concerned scientists looked at 52 sea level indicators in communities across the US.

It found tidal flooding will dramatically increase in many East and Gulf Coast locations, based on a conservative estimate of predicted sea level increases based on current data.

The results showed that most of these communities will experience a steep increase in the number and severity of tidal flooding events over the coming decades.

By 2030, more than half of the 52 communities studied are projected to experience, on average, at least 24 tidal floods per year in exposed areas, assuming moderate sea level rise projections. Twenty of these communities could see a tripling or more in tidal flooding events.

The mid-Atlantic coast is expected to see some of the greatest increases in flood frequency. Places such as Annapolis, Maryland and Washington, DC can expect more than 150 tidal floods a year, and several locations in New Jersey could see 80 tidal floods or more.

In the UK, a two metre (6.5 ft) rise by 2040 would see large parts of Kent almost completely submerged, according to the results of a paper published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science in November 2016.

Areas on the south coast like Portsmouth, as well as Cambridge and Peterborough would also be heavily affected.

Cities and towns around the Humber estuary, such as Hull, Scunthorpe and Grimsby would also experience intense flooding.

----

I want to be reassured, but these glaciers seem to be melting with record temperatures. 🤷‍♀️

There is absolutely no denying that humans are completely ruining the planet and we are definitely accelerating global warming. But, the world also used to be a lot hotter. There were forests at the North and South poles (hence why there's so much oil there) and life survived. If worse comes to worse and the ice caps completely melt, well, it's not the first time. If we plant forests where ice once stood it might mitigate some of the damage caused by excess Co2.

You also have to bear in mind that, on a smaller time scale, the world was much hotter in the medieval period. England was well known for it's vineyards, with varieties of grapes that you can't currently grow. Sometime in the 1300s the mini ice age started, and didn't end until the Victorian period. It used to be so cold that the river Thames would freeze solid and they would hold winter festivals on it. For all we know, we are still in the mini ice age, and the Industrial Age has just masked it. There are so many variables when it comes to the worlds temperature; volcanic activity, sun flares, etc.

Reactions: 2
Great post @navybluewolf . Something is happening, it's always been happening and maybe the industrial revolution plays a part.

I do worry about how quickly the population has exploded and what will happen to everyone displaced. But the earth will shrug off humanity and we'll be just a blip in it's existence.

Annual-World-Population-since-10-thousand-BCE-for-OWID.png

When I look at where to move to I'm checking the sea level rises and so many places will be hugely affected by the predicted 2m rise in the coming decades.

In my local area lots of fields are waterlogged at the minute. I definitely think if moving house to look at closeness to brooks and rivers. There's houses on brand new estates already flooding. People struggle to sell in areas like that once flooding has occurred and often trapped into owning those houses for life. Something to consider as much as school catchment, road links etc. I feel the UK has had a very mild Christmas and January, so I'm not surprised we've had some storms now.

In my local area lots of fields are waterlogged at the minute. I definitely think if moving house to look at closeness to brooks and rivers. There's houses on brand new estates already flooding. People struggle to sell in areas like that once flooding has occurred and often trapped into owning those houses for life. Something to consider as much as school catchment, road links etc. I feel the UK has had a very mild Christmas and January, so I'm not surprised we've had some storms now.
Yep! Definitely do your due diligence and investigate flooding maps (SEPA for Scotland/Environment Agency for England etc) when purchasing a property. Also look at things like elevations and the natural gradient/lay of the land etc.

Think the country is definitely seeing the impact of “urban creep” as well. So many houses have removed all their greenery and paved/slabbed with impermeable material. Cumulatively in towns, cities, drainage catchments where does this rain water go? It previously drained away through grass and soil which acted as a big soakaway.

Pet peeve is seeing gardens all slabbed/concrete with nothing natural in them. 😭