Experian employment reference

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi does anyone have any experience of these? What if you don’t want to put down one of your employers as a reference from the last 5 years?

Can’t help specifically but is this a job you are applying for??

if so, just bear in mind that previous employers are not allowed to give a “bad” reference. All they can do - and all they would be asked - is to confirm that you worked there when you said you did, in the role you have claimed. That’s it. They aren’t allowed to abs wouldn’t be asked for any other information- about your performance or why you left etc.

Reactions: 1

if so, just bear in mind that previous employers are not allowed to give a “bad” reference. All they can do - and all they would be asked - is to confirm that you worked there when you said you did, in the role you have claimed. That’s it. They aren’t allowed to abs wouldn’t be asked for any other information- about your performance or why you left etc.
Thanks for replying. Yes it’s for a job I’ve been offered. I don’t want them to contact my last employer as it’s a small company and they are bastards, they have form for screwing things up for people. I didn’t think they could give a bad reference either but I’ve done some google searches and it appears they can? My other employer from within the five years would give an excellent reference.

Thanks for replying. Yes it’s for a job I’ve been offered. I don’t want them to contact my last employer as it’s a small company and they are bastards, they have form for screwing things up for people. I didn’t think they could give a bad reference either but I’ve done some google searches and it appears they can? My other employer from within the five years would give an excellent reference.

In my experience, if they were to contact this previous employer to ask for a reference it’s more than likely to be an email that they will send out with check boxes that they gave to tick to confirm the details you have provided. I’ve had to complete them myself for former employees.

have you already submitted your application?? If not, and if you are genuinely concerned, just doctor the dates on the application so that the “good” old employer would be the one that gets contacted...?

I think the good one will get contacted too as they are within the past 5 years. It’s the most recent one I’m worried about. If they mess it up for me I’m up tit creek, there’s no jobs in my industry at the moment 😭😭

They can write what they want but the majority will not say anything negative, nowadays a lot just give employment dates and your job title and duties. What you could do is get a friend to send a reference request for you saying they want to employ you at their company or home etc and then see what it says. Loads of private individuals employ people.

Reactions: 3
They can write what they want but the majority will not say anything negative, nowadays a lot just give employment dates and your job title and duties. What you could do is get a friend to send a reference request for you saying they want to employ you at their company or home etc and then see what it says. Loads of private individuals employ people.
That’s a good idea!

Not sure where you’re from but just want to point out that in the U.K. employers can give a “bad” reference, provided that the information they give is true. Not sure about other countries.

However, someone else is right that most employers tend to stick to dates you worked there and your position title so hopefully it’ll be fine!

They can give you a ‘bad’ reference if they can substantiate what they’re saying - in that case I wouldn’t really call it a ‘bad’ reference if it’s true/honest. However to avoid employment tribunals etc they’re unlikely to give a ‘bad’ subjective opinion about you, only if it was something measurable e.g. you didn’t meet KPIs or whatever.

Not sure where you’re from but just want to point out that in the U.K. employers can give a “bad” reference, provided that the information they give is true. Not sure about other countries.

However, someone else is right that most employers tend to stick to dates you worked there and your position title so hopefully it’ll be fine!
im from the UK.

I guess what I was trying to say was that they aren’t allowed to make negative comments based on personal opinions. If you have performed your job properly, even if they hated you with a passion, they can’t give a negative reference.

I worked in recruitment and vetting in a previous life.

If everything came back fine for the 5 year employment references except for one ultra negative reference (a couple of ex employers tried to get round the law by making a telephone call - they only ever came across as petulant), unless it was super serious like the time I was directed to a news article in which the applicant was the convicted person in it, generally hiring managers were often happy to proceed on the basis that the candidate was upfront about it at job offer stage.

The only time the candidate went legal was when the employer before last gave a completely different reference to us compared to the one before - some dickheads carry their resentment for years.

It happens quite a bit - it could be clash of personalities or a small firm with no HR but run like a Del Boy’s personal fiefdom.

My advice would be to call your contact / hiring manager at the place you are trying to join and discuss it. Offer an extra personal reference if you can or if appropriate. Don’t slag off your old employer but mention that obtaining a reference might be a problem. If you’re in a small industry, chances are your old employer will have a reputation. Good luck.

Hey, I work in HR and if we ever get a 'bad' reference, we have a meeting with he employee to ask their side of the story, we wouldn't automatically dismiss for a bad reference. As someone said above, we send out a reference checklist and ask the old employer to complete that. X

Reactions: 2